PDA

View Full Version : OK, decided to go with PC's

Felixx74
04/28/2000, 01:39 AM
Hello,
Im new in this forum....and have lots of question. I have been a aquariumist for over 10 years and have mainly dealt with fresh water. I have had saltwater once before but the expensence overwhellemed me. Now that I can afford more, I am planning on converting my 30gal tall over the salt and have done my studing. Lighting is where I have the most questions...mainly cause it is the highest fo the costs. I do not intend to get into corals until my tank has been established for awhile. I have decided that I should go with PC's on my tank and that leaves room for a MH in combination when Im ready for corals.
OK...my question now is how much wattage should i get?? Keeping in mind I do plan to get a MH in the future.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
sorry to be so long

David Grigor
04/28/2000, 10:56 AM
Go with a ICECAP ballast. It will give you more options later down the road.

You can use it with PC and VHO bulbs or a combination. VHO bulbs are better than the PC counterparts when it comes to the Actinic bulbs. But more lumens with the PC daylights.

For a 30gallon tank, I purchased a 2X96W PC CSL retro and have learned to regret it because I would like to switch back to VHO and would have to repurchase everything to make the switch.

You will always find a use for the ICECAP especially if want to have MH someday it can be used for the actinic supplementation.

JohnL
04/28/2000, 03:43 PM
Welcome to the board.

David's advice is right on. If they are not too long for the tank (34"), two 96 watt PCs should work well.

------------------
Peace - John

Felixx74
04/29/2000, 08:37 AM
Actually I can't go longer then 24". Some have told me to go with VHO's?
Will ICECAP ballast run PC or VHO's? and will it run MH? I see some have both PC's and MH, two PC's and one MH in the middle? What do you think of this combo? and is the ICECAP ballast 660 the most ecomoical?
Sorry for so many question...It's just alot of choices. I do plan to read up on anyhintg I get for my tank. I guess I want to get lighting that will be more in the middle and with the option to be able to upgrade...
Like if I get PC's I may add a MH in the future. I have read to get the tank set up and establibished for awhile before getting into colors and inverts. LR and fish will come first.

jimhobbs
04/29/2000, 09:14 AM
See my current post on "Futures so bright!" for a pic of a 29gal icecap660 system that lit up my tank for the first time this morning...I've still got to rig up the grounding plane{will do that this evening after the reduced photoperiod}...I've still not come up with the words for how my tank looks under the 300watts of new light! :eek: :D I can't seem to come up with any descriptions that don't sound like LSD enhanced ramblings! :D I can say,

I Like It!!

I'll try and get a photo up later on, but gotta run to the office now... :(

Have fun guys!...jim :)