PDA

View Full Version : MY-SEA committee: Fundraising

ONAGI
03/27/2005, 01:33 PM
Hello Everyone,
Here is the fifth thread to form a committee for the MY-SEA organization. We need to have people volunteer and form a team to develop plans for fundraising options for the MY-SEA organization.

The plans needs to support and advance the mission of the organization. The plans need to be legal and fun. Oxymoron? Identify your objectives and timelines of task accomplishment to steer the team.

Please sign up to this thread to volunteer your thoughts, skills, and efforts to complete this project. Someone will need to identify some structure to the team. For example, team leader, composer of information, presenter of the information at the next meeting, and whatever other functions or positions that the team deems necessary.

Let me know if you need anything else and good luck. Thanks.

zzpw3x
03/29/2005, 09:40 PM
Here are some ideas from my wife - she sometimes thinks "big" - maybe a bit too big, but still some good ideas. I especially like her "frag" show idea (kind of like a dog show). This could even be a statewide / regional competition where people can send there zoos (1-2 polyps) to central location and judges can vote on their favorites. Make the prize significant ($50-$100) for the winner(s) and even a $5 dollar registration fee could make lots of money (maybe?). This may work best on softies like zoos and mushrooms.

Anyway here is a list of things she typed up for me-

Have a large 1- 2 day convention somewhere like the Metroplex. As we all know Youngstown is central to Cleveland and the pittsburgh)

Find a big speaker or two.

Have a few “seminar� type classes – how to frag, divide mushrooms, comparisons of various lighting, (Let local stores “volunteer� this education – it will help bring business into their stores to have people in town)

Have a frag swap with cheap food – hot dog $1, pop .50, chips .50 … (if they can be in a thermos for a few days in the mail, cant they be in a hotel in a thermos?)

Hold a “frag� show – set up a few tanks and vote on best zoos,… award cash prizes to winners to draw lots of people in. Set standards of h2o, lighting prior to show.

Charge vendors to set up stands like a craft show, these vendors could also volunteer items for raffle. (it is in their best interest to advertise, schmooze)

Provide areas for other local reef clubs to hold their own meeting/get together. (help promote other clubs attendance at this convention)

HUGE door prize can be donated - ?? trip for 2 to a coral reef???????????? Bring them in baby!!!!!!!

Charge a fee to get in to convention.

Now ask yourself – if someone offered this seminar – would you try it out for $50 - $100?

Think big – if you have a car wash you only make a car washer’s salary.

Dale

ONAGI
03/29/2005, 10:23 PM
Great start. Those are some really good ideas. We will need to work up to those. What kind of preliminary steps could put us in this direction? I really like the central show concept to bring Cleveland and Pittsburgh clubs into town.

We also need some fundraising and attendance incentives to boost and maintain membership participation at our meetings. The door prizes seemed to be a hit at the last meeting.

Keep the ideas coming and tell your wife I said thanks, fantastic thought process!

Omar