PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer

ohioreef
03/25/2005, 04:10 AM
I've been wondering if some of my HA problem might be contributed to a less than efficient skimmer.

I'm starting to toy around with the idea of starting to save up for a better skimmer.

I'm curious what skimmers you are using and whether you are satisfied with it.

Micki
03/25/2005, 07:53 AM
ASM ALL THE WAY!!! You've seen mine at work Gary, so you know why I like mine! :)

ohioreef
03/25/2005, 07:55 AM
Sometime when you have it shut off, could you take some close up pics of it? I'm contemplating maybe trying to make a DIY skimmer. The design of the ERs and ASMs looks pretty straightforward.

Micki
03/25/2005, 07:56 AM
Will Do!

bigfalcon36
03/25/2005, 09:11 AM
I have an Aqua-C...this thing is mean. Like I told you when you were here, once you get it figured out (tweeked) you never have to touch it again.

Also, the Deltec models are the easiest to clone, plus the cool thing is they their patented impeller seperately if you can get someone's serial number. A lot of people will give them to you or you can just look around on people's gallery to get one. I was going to do a DIY deltec, but Josh just his set-up for sale and it had the Aqua-C.

Slicktrax
03/25/2005, 09:35 AM
Berlin (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=RSBXLK)

This is the one I have. It seems to work of for me. I did a lot of looking before buying this one. It gave me the best bang for the money.

redpyro
03/25/2005, 09:35 AM
well the seaclone isnt efficient at all, and HA is caused by excess nutrient

bigfalcon36
03/25/2005, 09:51 AM
Gary another thing to consider is the size of the skimmer...I know you that. But get one that is rated for a larger tank than what you have. Over skimming isn't a bad thing (in my opinion).

Micki
03/25/2005, 09:59 AM
Especially knowing you might want to upgrade your tank... :)

marinelife
03/25/2005, 10:21 AM
ok get less fish and waste

ohioreef
03/25/2005, 02:55 PM
I've got to make sure it will fit in my sump. I'm a little limited there. That's why I was thinking DIY. I've got a usplastics catalog that had the clear acrylic tubing it for a reasonable price. (too bad you have to buy a minimum of 6ft)

redpyro
03/25/2005, 02:56 PM
how big do you plan on going should you upgrade?

bigfalcon36
03/25/2005, 04:08 PM
my aqua-c is supposed to be an in sump model but i just plumbed it into the sump. I also just left the pump in the sump, where it would be normally. The reason I did this way is because the water level in my sump is high and the baffles in my sump wont accomodate the skimmer. So I guess what I am saying is you can get a big A$$ in sump skimmer and not use it in the sump. Let me know if you need pictures of how i have mine set up.

ohioreef
03/25/2005, 04:13 PM
I found out that they make a 120 gallon that is 48x24x24 and that peaked my interest.

It's nothing that's gonna happen anytime soon. If I would ever do it I'd make it an inwall. I've got the plans in my head.....

daytonreefRob
03/25/2005, 04:25 PM
Bigfalcon-

You bought Josh's setup? That was my Aqua-C until about a month ago! AquaC makes very efficient skimmers. They work best when there is a contant water level in the sump.

Someone had posted about hair algae. If you are not already doing it, use RO water! HA feeds on phosphates, RO water has very little phosphates. I have also found that using a good skimmer cuts down HA too. It is a good combo, RO water and a good skimmer.

bigfalcon36
03/25/2005, 05:15 PM
yeah I figured that water level thing out about week into it. I am in the process of getting the RODI unit bought and hooked up. After that happens I should be good to go. Thanks for the heads up on the set-up. you did a good job with it. If you have any other stuff you are trying to get rid of let me know.

Travis

ohioreef
03/25/2005, 05:55 PM
I have been using RO, but I just got my own RODI a couple weeks ago and have started using it. I am also running a PO4 reactor. I'm hoping maybe I'll start seeing some turn around in the next few weeks. I also switched back to IO. Not sure if that'll make a difference or not.

atreis
03/25/2005, 06:30 PM
I use an aqua-c ev-180 and like it a lot, but can't compare it as it's the only skimmer I've used. I bought it for in-sump use, but keep my water level too high. It now sits outside my sump on a little stand.