PDA

View Full Version : Deep thoughts, by hesaias

hesaias
05/21/2000, 12:52 PM
What form of energy starts the electromagnetic spectrum(lower than radio waves)
What form of energy ends the electromagnetic spectrum(higher than gamma rays)
If you look at a star, any star, it is moving away from you. With the proper instrument, you would see the visable light shift to the red end of the spectrum as the light rays stretch to meet your eye. This is the doppler effect(when a car is moving toward you the sound waves are higher pitched because they are compressed, then as it moves away, the pitch lowers as the sound waves are stretched. this is the same thing)
So, keeping this in mind, if you could move to a point in space and stop totally, would you be able to see a blue shift as the light rays are compressed? If so, would light be moving faster than light speed(I do not think the speed of light is constant, I think it differs just like the speed of sound is not constant as science once thought)
How fast can a thought travel?

Deep, Huh?
Take it and run :D

------------------
hesaias
My Reefscape (http://www.angelfire.com/on3/hesaias/index.html)

My Homepage (http://www.angelfire.com/on2/hesaias/index.html)

OhCrapINeedAName
05/21/2000, 03:00 PM
Ya know? I was thinkin' exactly the same thing at 1:53 this afternoon!

horge
05/21/2000, 07:49 PM
What form of energy starts the electromagnetic spectrum(lower than radio waves)?

Television waves
TV is lower than radio, or any form of broadcast media for that matter.

What form of energy ends the electromagnetic spectrum(higher than gamma rays)?

Ask badgers.

...if you could move to a point in space and stop totally, would you be able to see a blue shift as the light rays are compressed?

Only if you're on the blue pill.

How fast can a thought travel?

Not as fast as I can type, apparently.

Deep, Huh?

Definitely, and in the afternoon too.
:)

Seriously, tagging this band as radio, visible light, etc. is like slapping the term SPS or LPS on the full spectrum of polyp sizs and arrays. If you think about energy manifestation as going from zero to infinity, then of those terms as mere labels, I think that answers your question.
Doppler shift applies completely. If you're moving toward the radiator and the radiated energy is in the visible spectrum, then you see a shift to blue. If you stop, it shifts back to default perceived-color. And yes, velocity is a relative thing when all reference points for measuring it are in flux.

[This message has been edited by horge (edited 05-21-2000).]

grog
05/21/2000, 07:53 PM
Good questions!!! Check out this site: http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/ask_an_astronomer.html

horge
05/21/2000, 09:08 PM
Off-topic, hehe:
hes, please check out your e-mail (as listed in your RC profile), and get back to me, okay?

Wolverine
05/21/2000, 11:18 PM
Hes, the only time you would see the blueshift is if you're moving closer to those stars. The type of blueshift you're talking about doesn't happen. Of course, the big problem here is that I don't remember the proof of that. I remember covering in physics and then in astronomy in undergrad. And actually I remember we talked about that subjet specifically, but I just don't remember why.

Give me a few weeks and I'll try to remember to get back on that one.

Many believe that thoughts are be independent of speed, and can be sent to any point in the universe instantaneously, if you know how. I definitely don't know the physics behind that one.

Dave

------------------
http://members.xoom.com/lcrandall/reefpage.html

Aquaman
05/22/2000, 06:10 AM
There was some research done on the topic of thought and it's speed, I don't remember where I read it but! what they found was several twins had the capability to "know" what the other was thinking, distance and time seem to be a hinderance.

Neat subject!

My mother has demonstrated on several occations that She knew my brother while in college was going to call! I guess that would be premenitions(sp)?? but sure enough my brother had been thinking about mom and usually the call would come within minutes.

billsreef
05/22/2000, 08:19 AM
I find the speed of thought varies with the time of day and amount of coffee consumed :) and is usually slower than many people talk and/or type :rolleyes:

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos (http://hometown.aol.com/billsreef/)
ICQ 56222784

hesaias
05/22/2000, 12:03 PM
Could Brain "waves" be measured in a freq. of the electromagnetic spectrum? Or maybe thought waves? If electricity can be transmitted without wires, could thoughts be "heard" be a wireless recorder or reciever with a device tuned to that freq?
Hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........
still in DEEP thought....

------------------
hesaias
My Reefscape (http://www.angelfire.com/on3/hesaias/index.html)

My Homepage (http://www.angelfire.com/on2/hesaias/index.html)

jimhobbs
05/22/2000, 06:26 PM
If you microwave instant coffee, would you go back in time?

bmw
05/23/2000, 07:23 PM
Still being debated.
Still being debated.
lower/higher? talking about the period of waves--though debated--I'll say nothing to limit either end--just what we have observed to this point. :)
Gladly debate it. :D
b.

chiliaddik
05/17/2005, 10:44 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm....sounded like a good day to bring back an OLD thread!

Agu
05/17/2005, 10:54 PM
Since we're in deep thought, who decided spreading animal poop around food crops would make it grow faster and still be edible ?

Agu

Nina51
05/18/2005, 05:05 AM
do penquins have knees?

wizardgus®
05/18/2005, 06:37 AM
What did they say weird food tasted like before they tried chicken?

Scuba_Dave
05/18/2005, 07:43 AM
Tastes like teradactyl?

chiliaddik
05/18/2005, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Agu
Since we're in deep thought, who decided spreading animal poop around food crops would make it grow faster and still be edible ?

Agu

good question! One that I think I'd prefer not to know the answer to!

BrianD
05/18/2005, 08:20 AM
Who thought it was a good idea and a step forward to make me an moderator?

scuba cam
05/18/2005, 08:31 AM
How much deeper would the ocean be if there were no sponges?

Turtlesteve
05/18/2005, 09:01 AM
Say you are traveling at near the speed of light from a distant planet towards Earth, and you point a flashlight forward and turn it on, how fast is the light traveling? Does it travel at the speed of light away from the source? Then, when the light reaches Earth, how fast is it arriving? Now, point the flashlight backwards and turn it on. How fast is the light traveling now?

Think about it.

Steve

Wolverine
05/18/2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Turtlesteve
Say you are traveling at near the speed of light from a distant planet towards Earth, and you point a flashlight forward and turn it on, how fast is the light traveling? Does it travel at the speed of light away from the source? Then, when the light reaches Earth, how fast is it arriving? Now, point the flashlight backwards and turn it on. How fast is the light traveling now?

According to the (I believe) first postulate of Einstein's special theory of relativity (to be distinguished from the general theory of relativity), and assuming you're in a vacuum:
(1)Approximately 3.0X10^8 m/s
(2)Yes
(3)Approx 3.0X10^8 m/s
(4)Approx 3.0X10^8 m/s

Now, it's been about 12 years since I've had an physics classes, so this is all going on memory, and my not be 100% correct, but I know it's close. IIRC, there will be differences in the wavelength/frequency of light detected.

Dave

joeychitwood
05/18/2005, 09:53 AM
Why do mothers always wait until they get to WalMart to beat their children?

FCM
05/18/2005, 10:05 AM
Why do people park on driveways and drive on parkways?

otolith
05/18/2005, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Wolverine
According to the (I believe) first postulate of Einstein's special theory of relativity (to be distinguished from the general theory of relativity), and assuming you're in a vacuum:
(1)Approximately 3.0X10^8 m/s
(2)Yes
(3)Approx 3.0X10^8 m/s
(4)Approx 3.0X10^8 m/s

Now, it's been about 12 years since I've had an physics classes, so this is all going on memory, and my not be 100% correct, but I know it's close. IIRC, there will be differences in the wavelength/frequency of light detected.

Dave
I think the velocity all depends on what it's relative to--if you're going the speed of light and turn a flashlight on, the light emitted and it's speed, relative to you, would be 0m/s, wouldn't it? It's speed away, relative to you, would be twice the speed of light.

Wolverine
05/18/2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by otolith
I think the velocity all depends on what it's relative to--if you're going the speed of light and turn a flashlight on, the light emitted and it's speed, relative to you, would be 0m/s, wouldn't it? It's speed away, relative to you, would be twice the speed of light.

No, that's what's so counterintuitive about what Einstein came up with. With larger objects and normal speeds, that's true, and they follow the Newtonian approximations for motion, which fits with intuition. Light doesn't follow those rules.

If you're going the speed of light, and you measure the speed of a light beam, you will get 3.0X10^8 m/s
If you're travelling the speed of light, and you measure an oncoming beam, it will also measure as 3.0X10^8 m/s

Dave

Wolverine
05/18/2005, 10:20 AM
I should amend that to say that this happens at speeds near to light speed, but I think it all breaks down once you're going the full speed of light.

Dave

Scuba_Dave
05/18/2005, 10:38 AM
Why do most bathroom cleaners carry a warning: "Do not use in an enclosed space" ?
When, if it wasn't an enclosed space, you wouldn't need them?
Gotta love GC

Nina51
05/18/2005, 12:29 PM
why do they call it cargo when it goes by ship and shipment when it goes by car?