PDA

View Full Version : Parents' influence on Reefkeeping

gas4544
05/13/2000, 11:36 PM
Don't forget Mothers' day. And Fathers' Day isn't too far off either. I'm kind of curious. How many of us come from families of aquarium keepers? Did your mom and/or dad have a saltwater tank? Do they now?

Raszagil
05/14/2000, 01:43 AM
It wasn't a reef tank by any means, but my Mom used to have a 12 gallon freshwater hex. I have absolutely NO doubt what so ever where my love of fishkeeping came from. ;)

It's in the genes. :D

Sara

billsreef
05/14/2000, 05:09 AM
My mom used to keep local saltwater when I was a kid. I used to try and climb into the tank as a toddler! Grew up allways trying to catch stuff to add to the tank. So you see it really is Mom's fault :D

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos (http://hometown.aol.com/billsreef/)
ICQ 56222784

Wolverine
05/14/2000, 10:40 PM
Well, in elementary school for about a week we had sea monkeys in a little jar that was maybe 16oz of water. So I don't think that had a whole lot of influence on me.

Dave

------------------
http://members.xoom.com/lcrandall/reefpage.html

FishDaddy
05/14/2000, 10:55 PM
It was my daughter who got me into reefing instead of the other way around! She became fascinated by sea life at 2-1/2 and we got into freshwater first. Her 55 reef came about as her request for a saltwater tank for Christmas when she was 5! Its her tank (though I like to call it mine sometimes) and she's the real reefkeeper. I'm merely the consultant and financial backer! ;) http://fishdaddy.homestead.com/index.html
Dick

horge
05/14/2000, 10:57 PM
Well, my dad used to do this fish sauce....

Q-ball
05/15/2000, 06:36 AM
Nope, not a bit. I wasn't allowed to have fish when I was a kid, just cats & dogs. They're ok, but fish are more fun to watch spawn! :D

Q

------------------
Reality is merely a short-lived perception, make of it what you will.

gas4544
05/16/2000, 08:33 AM
For as long as I can remember, my dad has kept a freshwater tank. A pretty basic setup in a thirty gallon tank with common fish like swordtails, neons, catfish, hatchets, a red-tailed shark and a pleco. The mix of fish has changed a little over the years, but he has almost always had a tank up and running. Earlier this year he bought a new 55 gallon setup. He has had most of the required equipment for several months now, but has not added water yet. Oh well, he is 68 years old now and his bad back has slowed down a little. I am the only one of three kids who are in this hobby. My 29 gallon freshwater angelfish tank has been going for 11 years and I started my 75 gallon saltwater tank last fall.

OhCrapINeedAName
05/18/2000, 01:38 AM
Q-ball,
Pervert, pervert, pervert! And you're a voyeur, too! LOL

------------------
I'm not a Lemming, but, I play one on another board.

Q-ball
05/18/2000, 06:43 AM
Ohcrap...what's your point? :D

Q

------------------

jimhobbs
05/18/2000, 07:19 AM
The fun part is hosing them down when they get locked up! :D

Nah, I didn't say that...

Anyhow, there was always some type of critters around the house...My first diving instructor was also a marine biologist/chemist who happened to live across the street from us...We we're constantly playing with snakes, spiders, frogs, and whatever he happen to catch and bring over...I first learned to catch poisonous snakes at age 12 from this man's efforts...I was also fortunate to recieve my divemaster certification from him before he passed on from cancer...

Now, I have a house full of critters for my kids to learn from and come to respect...My two year old son now has his own crab tank with the rejects from the main reef tank...He's adopted the "shimekdome" tank; and I have some lights ready for it from the replacement of the main tanks with the 660 system...I'm gonna take him a colony of xenia home and donate some of the live rock from the main tank...It looks like I'll have a bubble coral skeleton to include as the lower head has almost completely disintegrated...I'm gonna take it out, remove as much of the sponge as possible, then place it in the boys tank...Maybe the upper head will be ok as the sponge hasn't gotten that far yet...

He has to tell his "rabs" goodnight, before bedtime and does this before telling me or his mom goodnight...This is a good thing!

Best regards...jim

[This message has been edited by jimhobbs (edited 05-18-2000).]

Bubafat
05/21/2000, 03:13 PM
My parents begrudgingly let me have a little 10 gallon goldfish tank when i was a kid, i was amazed that i kept a feeder goldfish alive in that for 8 years, then he died, probably of stress.

When i first started a tank when i was 15 my parents were totally against it, then they just stopped caring, and now my mom is starting to come over to the dark side!!
Buba

BrianD
02/14/2007, 09:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=39649#post39649 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Q-ball
Nope, not a bit. I wasn't allowed to have fish when I was a kid, just cats & dogs. They're ok, but fish are more fun to watch spawn! :D

Q

------------------

You watched your dog and cat spawn? Is that even legal in your state?

catdoc
02/14/2007, 10:02 AM
Mom let me keep the goldfish I won at the county fair, does that count? I was always bringing home some animal or another that I'd found, it was all my mom could do not to scream sometimes! I would bring home snakes, crayfish, spiders (the gigantic ones, too). One of the funniest was the evening I smuggled the spring peepers into the living room. I guess I didn't think they'd actually "peep" from under the couch where I'd hidden them. LOL!

My mom does have a goldfish pond now, but she's never kept an aquarium. Dad is more into dogs, no fishies there either. Not sure where my Wild Kingdom gene came from.

Nagel
02/14/2007, 10:32 AM
My pops always had freshwater, but after repeated failed attempts at saltwater in the 60's, he gave up. When I started SW, all I heard from him was "its gonna die, you're wasting your money", and now when he comes to my house, all he wants to do is sit in front of the 300 reef.

Kinda funny, isnt it?

griss
02/14/2007, 10:57 AM
We always had an aquarium in the house (along with many other animals) when I was growing up. In High School I got interested in Breeding Betas and had a few successful spawns.

In 1986, my parents bought a used 200 gallon F/O tank and had that set up until 1993 when they divorced.

In 1990, I started my first reef tank. A 30 gallon tank, crushed coral, homemade trickle filter (stacked plastic trays with holes drilled in them and filled with crushed coral) in a 20 gallon tank. Four Normal Output Flourescent bulbs, a homemade "skimmer" made out of riser tubing from an undergravel filter and California (yes, California) live rock.

Approximately 1991, I upgraded to a 58 gallon tank, bare bottom, berlin style sump with 3' homemade skimmer from 4" PVC and a Coralife 175 watt pendant.

In 1992, we moved into our first house and I downgraded my tank to a 15 gallon reef. It had a SSB, VHO lighting, Oceanic #4 skimmer and berlin sump.

In 1993 when my parents divorced, neither wanted the 200 gallon tank. So, I took that and set it up as a reef tank. It had a plenum system, 3 250 watt MH and 2 6' VHOs, Lifereef skimmer and small refugium (30 gallon).

In 2003 we moved to a new house and the planning began for a big reef (450 gallon). This tank was made by James at www.envisionacrylics.com and was absolutely beautiful. It has a 4'x4'x18" sump made by Geo, a Geo custom CA Reactor and a Geo dual beckett skimmer (later replaced by a Geo custom needlewheel skimmer). Lighting started out as 6 250 watt DEs, but changed to 4 400 watt SEs in LumenArc pendants. Unfortunately, this take never did well. 1. I didn't have time to maintain such a large tank. 2. I battled problem algae from day one. 3. I got tired of carefully cleaning the acrylic. So, in 2006 I tore the tank down with plans for a smaller tank and purchased a used 250 gallon tank.

The new tank is now cleaned and on the stand. It will have 4 250 watt MHs in LumenArcs, my Geo Needlewheel skimmer, the Geo Reactor, a 50-60 gallon fuge, 150 gallon sump and a SSB. SPS and Tridacna will be the primary focus of this tank with a large anemone hosting a pair of Allard's clowns.

2fishy
02/14/2007, 11:52 AM
Thinking of old friends, Brian?:)

Nagel
02/14/2007, 01:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9239904#post9239904 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 2fishy
Thinking of old friends, Brian?:)

I think alot of the older staff and mods do that from time to time, especially in February though..

Can't believe its been this long now..

2fishy
02/14/2007, 02:04 PM
Understandable. You all speak of him very highly!

Muttling
02/14/2007, 02:34 PM
My parents were an interesting pair. Dad LOVED animals. Mom likes them but is easily intimidated by them. Niether cared for having to take care of or clean up after them.

They tolerated my keeping of pets of every sort, but also made it clear that keeping my animals was my responsibility. They have put up with a LOT over the years and my poor mom is getting ready to take in a Great Dane as well as a 38 year old son while I straighten out the finances of divorce.

I am quite blessed and my son has definitely learned my love of animals.

GSMguy
02/14/2007, 04:07 PM
my houses allways had a tank in them my dad kept everything from turtles to Fo salt tanks
and i always kept a tank
but seeing a nice reeftank while staying with a buddy is what got me hooked

oz
02/14/2007, 05:22 PM
Dad was the one who got me started with this stuff. I blame him.

crp
02/14/2007, 05:25 PM
My parents were wierd! My father didn't have typical animals when I was growing, never a dog or cat, but we did have a racoon, squirrel monkey and iguanas. :rolleyes:

I got my tank because my daughter kept crying when her goldfish that she won at the carnivals kept dying. She wanted clown fish. I thought what the heck, they're cheap $15 each.....thousands of dollars later.... :rolleyes: I have clownfish!

Mutt, bless your poor mother! :)