PDA

View Full Version : ahhh Hail!!!

aLittletank
05/18/2000, 01:32 PM
well as I look out my office window I see marble size hail coming down. The phone should be ringing any moment with hail damage claims.

Allen

Aquaman
05/18/2000, 02:37 PM
We had a hail storm last month down here! Can I call you now and file my claim! :D

aLittletank
05/18/2000, 02:54 PM
did you have the "hail rider" :D

I think we are the #1 insurance company down in your neck of the woods. "we're on your side"

I am still trying to get underwritting to cover corals under a farmers policy "livestock" so far they are not buying my BS

TTYL
Allen

Aquaman
05/18/2000, 03:04 PM
No Hail rider! only Ghost Rider! :D

Beware my Penitence stare!!

For those that don't follow its from Ghost Rider the Marvel Comic book :D

signu459
05/18/2000, 03:05 PM
It's all over the Chicago radio today. Almost everything west of Chicago is getting hit by 3-12" hail. Thats correct 12" can you beleive it. It is coming my way so I am hunkering down, just hope the wife gets home in time to put the car in the garage.

Deacon
05/18/2000, 03:34 PM
Ah, a fellow insurance person.

We had 3 separate thunderstorm systems go through our area between midnight and 4AM today. Not much hail with these but the lightning was unbelievable. The sheer quantity and power of the lightning strikes was enough to put the fear of God into anybody.

Thankfully, no major injuries or fires were reported in our area, but we got lots of claims for fried stereos, appliances, garage door openers, etc. One of our clients had a large tree get struck and somehow the lightning arced over onto a storage garage and blew a 12" hole in the roof and started it on fire. He said he was standing in his back yard in his ...um... "pajamas" at 2AM putting the fire out with a garden hose while he waited for the fire dept. to get there.

Gotta love this business.

aLittletank
05/18/2000, 03:55 PM
Alright! I thought I was the only reefer-Agent on the BB. Nice to know I am not alone.

Allen

AquaNut
05/18/2000, 04:40 PM
Hey Allen...curious about reef tanks being protected by policies...are there any loopholes at all in any type of policy that one can get away with. When you think of how much money and time goes into these things...come to think of it...it rivals my entertainment unit :D

Alex
Forever curious!

aLittletank
05/18/2000, 05:06 PM
As I see it the tank and equipment a covered under your homeowners for the "covered perils" ie. fire, tornado (check your policy or call your agent)
What is not covered is breakage unless you list it specifically on your home owners policy or better yet on an "inland marine" this is what people use to cover expensive jewelry or guns ect. the nice thing about an inland marine policy is that it covers "all perils" even loss. yup, you lose a ring that is on an IM policy it is covered.

fish, corals ,live rock/sand..... you have a better chance of seeing God than having those covered for the average hobbyist on any policy.

that about covers it
anything to add Deacon?
Allen

signu459
05/18/2000, 05:40 PM
Ok I just watched the weather. There was tornado about thirty miles from me. the weather guy draws a arrow from where the tornado was right through my town. Yeh Fun!

aLittletank
05/18/2000, 06:32 PM
is your tank covered? :)

Allen

Joez
05/18/2000, 06:35 PM
Is "Act of God" still used in the insurance industry?

aLittletank
05/18/2000, 06:45 PM
Not in Michigan Law

you know we can't have GOD involved with anything these days.

Allen

Deacon
05/19/2000, 08:21 AM
You're right on about coverage for the tank, alittletank. Any aquarium hardware will be treated like any other personal property (like furniture, electronics, etc.). As far as I know, its impossible to find coverage for the animals in your tank (or for any pets).

Animals used in the food industry (ex. dairy cattle) can be covered for certain perils. (and yes, they do get struck by lightning on occasion.)

We still hear the term "act of God" here in Iowa sometimes. There are even a few regional insurance companies that still use that term in policy wording. From discussions I've had, one of the reasons its being used less and less is because when a case goes to court, lawyers can wreak havoc on the definition of "act of God".

aLittletank
05/19/2000, 08:33 AM
which company do you work for Deacon?

Allen

Deacon
05/19/2000, 12:12 PM
alittletank,
I'm an agency principal of an independent insurance agency. We sell for a bunch of different companies including one based out of your fair city, Auto-Owners Insurance Co. Is that who you work for?

Other companies we represent include EMC, GuideOne, and Allied/Nationwide and some other lesser known regional carriers.

aLittletank
05/19/2000, 12:32 PM
I am a captive agent for Nationwide Insurance and Finacial Services. We only operate through Allied in your state, no nationwide offices.

I started a scratch agency in December. So we are realy trying to get our name out.

BTW a am going for my final license next week - variable products (michigan requires it) already have my 6,63 P&C, life, health

so wish me luck!
Allen

Deacon
05/19/2000, 12:55 PM
Go for it!

You should really be studying and not reading this board. :)

Good luck with the new agency. We (myself and 2 others) bought out some oldtimers in 1997. The agency has been around since 1920 and has a nice customer base but was getting a little stale with very little growth in the nineties. In the last 2 years we've increased written premium about 20% (not spectacular, but not bad either). We are in a small market with a lot of competition, so we are always banging heads with other agencies.

Are you part of Nationwide's "aidco" program? That program is extremely competitive in our area and was causing us fits until the local agent decided to drop the program. Mich is a no-fault state, right?

aLittletank
05/19/2000, 01:56 PM
If you want a headach study Michigan Insurance. yes we have no fault, and it is very confusing for customers.

I am not famliar with that program.

basicaly nationwide pays the bills for 4 yrs and as long as I follow the sales plan and budget, the agency is mine in 4 yrs. there are other ways to do it out there I am sure. But I am 29 with a wife and a child so a steady income is needed until the agency is established.

As far as study time. I have my own little system for that and I haven't failed a test (school, military, or insurance) in over 15 years. Besides this one is a peice of cake. If you have ever taken the 6&63 test everything else is a breeze.

take care
Allen

Staceon
05/19/2000, 02:10 PM
Try the series 7.

aLittletank
05/19/2000, 02:15 PM
What is the 7 for ?

Allen

Staceon
05/19/2000, 02:18 PM
Registered Rep(NASD), broker in words. Wasn't fun.

Dave
05/20/2000, 02:31 PM
Im a field appraiser in Chicago this hail will keep me busy for the next month.