PDA

View Full Version : What powerhead for 24g Nanocube?

LobsterOfJustice
03/23/2005, 09:00 PM
I want to add a powerhead to the left side of the tank, pointing accross toward the front (opposite of the other one). I'm thinking one of the maxijet powerheads, but I'm not sure which size. I'm afraid I'll either get one too weak and it wont help much, or I'll get one too strong and it will blow the sand everywhere. So which model would you guys reccomend?

loyalty
03/23/2005, 10:09 PM
i'd go 600, but i think a 900 wouldn't be too much flow either

trekbear
03/24/2005, 12:22 AM
Lobster of Justice,

You can actually go w/ either the MJ 900 or the MJ1200.

In addition to the stock pump, I am using the MJ900 rated @ 230gph. It appears to have good flow. I have it plumbed to a lockline Y that I have 2, 6" locklines with 1 1/2" flares attached to each end. This is connected to a 1/2" bulkhead in the center chamber.

I almost wish I had gone w/ the MJ1200. I am happy w/ the flow i get and it does circulate very well as it is and gives me high flow and some low flow too. Once my LR comes in I will be able to tell more about flow regions in the tank.

HTH,
Tom

fred says
03/24/2005, 01:32 AM
You could get a 1200 and just put a valve on it to make it so that the water would be split and it wouldn't be as powerful. I think that it is better to over do it rather then under do it and regret buying the smaller pump

MadTownMax
03/24/2005, 03:28 PM
I've got a 300 gph stuck behind the overflow blowing back out through the slots, I had to cut off the output nozzle a bit to make it fit, then I use a piece of black sponge to wedge it in place - works great - check my gallery for pics of the water agitation that it creates. In addition, pointing it this way gives you a lot of "eddies" in the tank, so random water flow at it's best ;)

cj_basser
03/24/2005, 04:57 PM
I would deffenantly go with the MJ 1200. I recently got one just for fun, and it is so veritile i am still finding new ways to use it. It comes with a few different mounting brakets and a venturi.