PDA

View Full Version : Flow for a 10gal

CrazyBeagle
03/23/2005, 08:31 PM
Hey all, I am about to start up my first nano. I have a Remora skimmer with a Rio800, and a Eheim 300 for flow. Is that enough or do I need more. What about pump placement . Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks. Joe

CrazyBeagle
03/24/2005, 08:48 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied.:hmm2:

Sugar Magnolia
03/24/2005, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by CrazyBeagle
Thanks to everyone who replied.:hmm2:

Lighten up Francis! :D

Aim for at least 10x gph turnover. If you don't think you have enough flow, you can add a small powerhead. I like the microjets - great little PH"S. Adjustable flow.

CrazyBeagle
03/24/2005, 09:54 AM
That was light hearted:) Do you count the turnover from the skimmer? I just put the skimmer on the back of the tank and boy it looks BIG for a 10 gal:eek2: The eheim is rated at 80 gph. Sooo, with the skimmer is that enough? I was thinking of adding one more small pump. But I have to figure out what is the best place for max movement. Thank you very much for your reply.

Sugar Magnolia
03/24/2005, 10:00 AM
I never count the gph from the skimmer. By the time the water is flowing back out of the skimmer, the gph is pretty negligable. I'd suggest adding at least one micro-jet 450. Two would be even better, mounted on each side panel of the tank. Like I said, the flow is adjustable from 47-117 gph.

CrazyBeagle
03/24/2005, 10:10 AM
Sugar , you are sweet :D

Carl_in_Florida
03/25/2005, 11:32 AM
The best way to find out if there is enough flow is to stock your tank and look for dead spots. The theorys are just that.
if you have 15x turnover and you have a big deadspot that is a breeding spot cor cyno you need more flow. alot depends on how you are going to stock it and how much rock is going to be in there.
Start with what you got. If you need more then throw in a microjet.

CArl