PDA

View Full Version : IDEA - Frag growing contest

tkelsey
01/10/2002, 12:28 PM
Just wanted to see what the response would be...

A local store gave me this suggestion of having a frag growing contest. They would order in as many colt frags as we needed and sell them at cost; all would be the same size (~3"). You grow them in your tank for 6 months or so and then see who has the most growth. There would then be some sort of prize for the winner.

Something different to try if we wanted.

Let's hear you opinions!!!

bradwent
01/10/2002, 04:26 PM
Buying frags at cost...How could this not be a good idea??? Was this Mile High that made the suggestion?

Jerry Gonzales
01/11/2002, 12:34 AM
I am in...... Hmmmmnnn lets start with a baby toadstool leather. Then presto I will grow a monster in no time, or just hide the baby frag I got and show my monster;) . Just kiddin, as troy mentioned to me about using a colt. That would be great.
Jerry

stevenc64
01/13/2002, 07:26 PM
Count me in!

Steve

wanecek
01/15/2002, 12:11 AM
Since I have no corals other than my xenia count me in. I used to have a colt and they are pretty cool. They can grow pretty fast too, at least my last one did.

Mike

Rebel
01/22/2002, 09:56 PM
Heck, I'll up the ante and lower the goods. If there are only about 4-6 people interested we can meet at Columbine one day and I will frag the big colt in there and give you the frags. Then you can have a real race--see who can get it to attach and grow the fastest!

Jason

Jerry Gonzales
01/23/2002, 12:51 AM
That sure is a nice colt you have over there at the library, Jason :eek1: :eek2:

wanecek
01/23/2002, 10:48 AM
Rebel,

I believe it was you who I got my last colt from. This was over a year ago. I bought it from you because I had very little to trade. Believe it or not the colt detached from the rock you gave me and I thought it was lost. Then one day several weeks later I found it attached to a rock. Sure enough many months later the coral had grown huge.

Unfortunately, it had gotten so big and I was in the process of moving my tank into a larger one I sold it to a local reefer.

Hopefully, this one will do as well.

Thanks,

Mike

Rebel
01/23/2002, 11:00 AM
Mike,
That's great--I'm glad it wasn't lost.

I am serious if you guys are interested. I just looked it over and there are plenty of branches that could use a good trimming. I would say enough for 6-10 people. There is also a rather large green finger leather (I forget the sp. but it is beautiful) that needs the chop. I just don't have the patience of the facility to attach and grow them out at the school (or at home anymore--all sps now). If interested we could set it up for a Sat/Sun and get everyone together. I'd only like to do it once, though--so it would be best if we could all get together at the same time.

Jason

ericb
01/23/2002, 08:49 PM
Jason,

That sounds good to me. I'd love to get a colt, leather, whatever. I'm not picky.

Just let me know when to be at the school, and I'm there.

Eric

SeaMatt Nematocyt
01/24/2002, 01:48 PM
I found room in my tank to grow out a cutting. The green stuff sounds neato. (My favorite color)
Jason, great idea bud.
Are we talking this weekend? If so I will need an ounce of directions and a time and I'll be there. Plus I have always wanted to see this tank.

See yah then

Rebel
01/24/2002, 01:53 PM
This weekend might work on Sunday--if people are interested. Like I said, I'd like to do this only once. Let me know if you all are interested and if Sunday at say noon or so would work. If you need directions to chs I can include those too--but let's see if this weekend works for all interested or if we should do it later.
Jason

SeaMatt Nematocyt
01/24/2002, 02:09 PM
Noon Sunday is great for me. Columbine High School?
My head was not screwed on tight. I know where that is.

MayerKT
01/24/2002, 04:27 PM
Troy and I would love to do it, but we'll probably be skiing sunday with friends from MI.....unless someone could grab a frag for us to pick up later that evening :D

wanecek
01/24/2002, 04:45 PM
I can make it on noon, Sunday. Karin and Troy, let me know what you want. I have tons of room in my tank right now. If no one else close by your place can hold it for you I can do it.

See you tonight.

Thanks,

Mike

SeaMatt Nematocyt
01/24/2002, 08:03 PM
K/T,
I have some room too and don't live far from yah.

ericb
01/24/2002, 08:59 PM
Sunday noon works for me. I'll be there.

Eric

Rebel
01/25/2002, 10:45 AM
OK, we'll say Sunday, noon--it's official. Tell anyone interested or come prepared to be a babysitter for those who cannot attend and bring something home for them. The more the, well. . . you know.

Columbine High School is on Pierce Street just south of Bowles (and Clement Park). Park in the upper lot--the one at the stoplight. I'll need everyone there on time, for the library is on the other end of the building and the school will be locked. We will have to go in as a group. Also, I have no friggin' rocks, I mean fraggin' rocks (oops!) or baggies. I'll leave those up to you guys.

If you need more info or want to call me this weekend, I'm at 303-904-8926. I may or may not check my email or the board on Sat. so call if you need.

Jason

MayerKT
01/25/2002, 12:22 PM
MIke,

I think we'll just have matt keep ours for us, since he's closer :)

So Matt, pick us up a frag (or two, if he's fraggin both). We'd appreciate it!

So, this will be our first annual FRAG GROWING-O-RAMA contest. Maybe we could do it this time with the prize being pure pride. Maybe we can invest in a travelling plaque, with the winner for that years name on the plaque. cheesy, yes, but effective :) Later on down the road maybe we can involve a store and have the winner recieve a gift certificate donated by said store.

I guess making it official (i.e. annually) would give us all something to look forward to. Just ideas though. Thanks Troy for posting the idea :love1: you're so dreamy :inlove:

SeaMatt Nematocyt
01/25/2002, 02:39 PM
I think I'm gunna barf!

Just kidding.
I will pick 2 up, if Jason has enough. He mentioned he has a colt and there is a green leather. Shall I try for one of each? 2 of the same? Quarter one half the other and forget the rest?

Sorry! Work has me all wound up.

Give me a call when you get back from skiing. I'm very jealous by the way.
475-5347

MayerKT
01/25/2002, 02:43 PM
one of each........if he needs to trim up both. otherwise, either/or....no preference.........i'm not choosey when it comes to free stuff :D

bradwent
01/25/2002, 07:31 PM
Rebel,

If you are trying to get a count, I should be there as well.

stevenc64
01/25/2002, 11:50 PM
I'll be there as well.
Steve

Rebel
01/26/2002, 11:03 AM
Great, plenty of room for all. See you all there tomorrow.
J

bradwent
01/28/2002, 11:11 AM
First off, Jason thanks for meeting us yesterday and providing all those frags!!!

I was just curious of how the frags are doing in peoples tanks and also what to expect of the progression of the frags. I used toothpicks and rubberbands as suggested. Currently the frags are deflated. The colt was the only one that started to show some polyp extension, but it is still mostly deflated. Will this last for how long? Or are the frags completely exended in other tanks?

Thanks,

ericb
01/28/2002, 09:41 PM
I second that. Thanks a bunch Jason. And Troy, great idea.

My frags are still pretty deflated. I also did the toothpick / rubberband method. I got a bit too close to the bottom on the green finger leather and it pulled loose today. I found it when I got home. Now it's rubberbanded to a shell (no toothpick). Maybe it'll stay.

Hopefully they'll perk up soon. After all, I'm gonna win this contest!!!

Eric

stevenc64
01/28/2002, 10:20 PM
My frags look pretty ****ed off as well. Patience is the key.
Steve

SeaMatt Nematocyt
01/28/2002, 11:34 PM
I third that! Thanks Jason and it was great seeing your setup. Stunning my friends. If you ever get a chance to check it out, I highly recommend it. There are tons of good ideas put to work on that tank.
My Colt is a bit deflated (maybe too high in the tank) but the other 2 are looking mighty fine and standing tall and very open. Muahahahaha
Let's just say, Karin, the method I showed is the super secret.

No for real. I auger out a hole with my trusty screwdriver into a chunk of rubble. Stuff the frag in the hole and the cut part should protrude out the bottom of the rock. Stick your toothpick up into the frag like a popsicle. Then set the frag/rock into your sand bed, with the toothpick burried into the sand. This will help keep your frag upright and anchored onto the rock until it attached naturally. It should not get blown out of the rock. The toothpick popsicle allows for the swelling to happen without tearing the frag. Sometimes I put a drop of hobby cement in the larger holes to fill space.
I hope this helps and good luck trying to beat me.
:lol2:

MayerKT
01/29/2002, 06:27 PM
Ha! deflated-shmelated

Mine are all inflated, open, and showing massive polyp exention. actually, they've all grown about 6 inches in the past couple days. yeah, and they're also turning bright electric blue. and have eyes :)

really though, the leathers are starting to inflate a bit, and the one of the colts was, but who knows what's happened during today. :D Thanks Matt for the tips and for keeping the little guys for us til we got home from not going skiing ( I-70 tanker accident - didn't want to deal with it - went to Colorado Springs instead)

THANKS JASON!