PDA

View Full Version : Reduce Flow in 2.5 gallon?

Jordan55
03/22/2005, 09:17 PM
I just set up my 2.5 gallon. I have a Aqua Clear Mini (20) on it for circulation and it seems to be kicking up the sand in the front. I have tried putting rocks in place of the spot but it just looks tacky and doesn't work all that well. If you know any mods or anything that can help me slow down the flow, it would really help. Thanks

Jordan.

thebrian
03/23/2005, 12:26 AM
I've heard of people swapping out the impellers on the larger ones for the mini's, but you already have the mini. Maybe you can make the impeller smaller...not too sure how well it would work, but I've heard of people shaving down impellers before to reduce flow. The concern with that is that you will put it off balance possibly, and it will run noisy or break apart when you run it. Maybe you could find a way to build a bottleneck of sorts into the intake to limit the rate that it can take in water...

~Brian

Jordan55
03/23/2005, 06:34 AM
Yea. I knew about the switch out the propeller but I do have the smallest. You can't really "block off" the flow with like a net or something to make it come out slower because then the water fills up too fast in the back compartment and spills. I did find that putting a piece a plastic about 1/2 inch away from the end of the filter (when it comes off the side) helps it because the flow hits the plastic and the water just trickles over it. So if I can get a ghetto way of doing this, it will work.

Anyone else have any pointers?

Sugar Magnolia
03/23/2005, 08:32 AM
What level are you keeping the water at? Also, have you tried sliding the intake tube over to reduce the flow? It's adjustable. :)

Jordan55
03/23/2005, 03:59 PM
Sugar Mag. Didn't realize it was adjustable. Problem solved!

Sugar Magnolia
03/23/2005, 06:54 PM
:thumbsup: Glad to hear that!