PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Knight

Anemone of the State
05/16/2000, 11:32 PM
I was on the faculty at IU briefly, before I fled to California. I think they should have canned the guy a long time ago. The president of IU is doing his best to destroy the heart of the university because of a supposed lack of funds, but they somehow had the cash to keep this prima donna happy? The death penalty would be more appropriate, as long as the taxpayer doesn't have to foot the bill for the electricity or gas. :D

Aquaman
05/16/2000, 11:33 PM
Sorry Signu, I must have taken to many of those blue pills, I have no idea what your talking about! :confused:

Oh wait you must be talking about sports! Sorry I still got no idea what your talking about. ;)

TimS
05/16/2000, 11:45 PM
Should be history. Although, he was never specifically warned not to throw a face at a wall in his bosses office, so, I guess, maybe he didn't know it was wrong.

signu459
05/17/2000, 10:36 AM
Just curious what the rest of my fellow reefer think of what happened to Bobby.

I should qualify all of my statements by saying that I am dedicted Purdue fan. For those who don't know Purdue and IU and rivals. So I should be biased again Iu and Bobby Knight.

IMO Bobby crossed the line on many occasions and should have been punished. However I think that his punishment was correct. He should not have been fired. After all he was never warned over the course of his 29 years. If anyone should be looked at it should be the administration for letting it go on for so long. I guess I am a little torn on this but in the end I think the right thing was done.

Staceon
05/17/2000, 10:44 AM
Heck I am Purdue Alumni and think this whole thing is ridiculous. The plain and simple fact is he ticked someone off. Either it be because of not winning or karma. Either way, he is still just a basketball coach not the President.

[This message has been edited by Staceon (edited 05-17-2000).]

signu459
05/17/2000, 12:03 PM
Aquaman,

If we changed the topic to swimming would that help? He he

TimS

I totally agree that many of the things he did he knew were wrong. It is obvious that throwing a chair, chocking a player, verbaly abusing his boss are wrong. He should have been punished after each of these events. But at the same time you also have to look at the testimonials from many of his former players. In addition you need to consider all that he has brought to and done for IU. He has an exceptionally high graduation rate and has won many national and Big Ten titles for IU. As a result he has brought IU much national recognition, with that comes millions of dollars of income and thousands of students. The fact is he is an Icon in the southern part of this state. This does not justify his actions. But the ramifications of firing him would have been much worse than what was done.

Larry M
05/17/2000, 12:41 PM
I think the powers that be at IU deserve Bobby Knight. What a joke that this goes on for decades, and now all of a sudden he's a jerk. He's been a jerk all along!! Only, in the past he was a profitable jerk, now he's just an old loser jerk. I hope they choke on him.

------------------
Larry M

Visit Reef Stores.com (http://63.75.34.139/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi?) The liaison between hobbyists and on-line retailers.

See my tanks at Northern Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/index.htm)

signu459
05/17/2000, 12:53 PM
Larry As a Purdue I whole heartedly agree with you.

Aquaman
05/17/2000, 01:37 PM
Signu, Yea that would help :D

Wait what sport is this! throwing chairs, Choking players and verbal abusing your boss! man sounds like a fun sport. :D

Anemone of the State
05/17/2000, 02:15 PM
I have to admit it is the first time I found basketball even remotely entertaining.

Wolverine
05/17/2000, 02:31 PM
I thought he should have been canned a while ago. I agree with Larry, the school was able to look past his problems, but now they that he's not doing so well, they're scrutinizing him.

Dave

------------------
http://members.xoom.com/lcrandall/reefpage.html

TimS
05/17/2000, 03:16 PM
Lets see, player chokes coach and gets lifetime suspension that it reduced by labor arbitration to a 1 year suspension. Coach chokes player and gets a 3 game suspension.

But isn't the coach supposed to be an educator and protector of these young adults; setting an example. I'm sure the former players have learned that any outburst is justified if you're successful. Bring $$$ to your employer and all will be overlooked.

Dave
05/17/2000, 07:35 PM
My wife wnt to IU and im a Fan of them. He did do things that were very wrong.
I would guess most colleges have strange things going on. He must have ****ed off the wrong guy that all this is showing up.
It will all blow over soon and the press will look for the next fish to fry.

Detritivore
04/07/2005, 11:48 PM
i think i just dug up the oldest thread in the lounge

Gawain1974
04/08/2005, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by jonah310
i think i just dug up the oldest thread in the lounge

LOL, yeah, it looks like you did. Wow...I remember when this happened...I'm originally from Indiana...and people either worshipped or hated Bobby Knight. I always belonged to the latter group.

moogoomoogoo
04/08/2005, 12:13 PM
I'm a Purdue and an IU grad. For heavens sakes we are just talking about basketball!!! For all the whacko stuff he did he's still one of the most respected and well known coaches. Who can name the current IU coach? I can't. In a sense and I think rock and roll stars would agree with me, even bad publicity is publicity.

llpoolej
04/08/2005, 05:06 PM
There was talk he was coming here to U of TN. Would have been a great boon to our rather, um, lacking Basketball program.

I lived in Indy(Carmel) in the 70's and 80's and I remember Bobby Knight fondly. Though he always was way over the top to be sure. He did win alot of basketball though.