PDA

View Full Version : Old JBJ Nano cubes questions:

ProdigalPoster
03/22/2005, 01:39 PM
What is a good pump for upgrading this little baby's flow

and

Is it safe to put a 250 DE MH pendant over it? If it's lets say 6-8'' over the tank, would I really have to worry about heat?

I want to just keep zoas and rics right now, but I'm afraid the ~20w of stock PC lighting just won't do.

jasper24
03/22/2005, 02:39 PM
I have the new JBJ 12 with 48W PC. Have mushrooms, ricordia, GSP, Zoanthids, and a frogspawn. all are doing well.

jedininja
03/22/2005, 02:43 PM
I upgraded the pump with a minjet 606. Gives it a decent amont of flow.

250w DE is pretty overkill for this tank and you will definatly encounter heat problems as well as bleaching from the softies if they arent very slowly acclimated.

If you want more light, check out nanocustoms.com They have some very easy upgrades you can do to your lighting.

ProdigalPoster
03/22/2005, 03:42 PM
Alright cool, I'll check it out!

Do you think a maxijet 1200 would work? I have 3 extras sitting around..

jedininja
03/22/2005, 04:04 PM
Well they are a bit bigger so I dont know about fit and noise. But I belive that maxijet is 20w which will heat up your water quite a bit.

ProdigalPoster
03/22/2005, 04:28 PM
Ok, I put one in cause I had it laying around, I'll see how it does.

Now I need to locate a decent skimmer for these guys.

Do you know if the air driven skimmers are effective at all?

jedininja
03/22/2005, 04:33 PM
With any skimmer, you'll have to cut out some of the body of the tank. ANd that defeats the purpose of getting a JBJ nano. It wont have that sleek look if you start cutting away.

What I do is just regular water changes. Probably about once a week or so of 3 gallons each time and it keeps my levels down.

ProdigalPoster
03/22/2005, 04:43 PM
Ok :)

I just have my JBJ from when I started reefing.

Moved to a larger tank for my SPS then I need to shut it down for various reasons. Having trouble not having a tank around.

I'm going to setup to run ZEO on this tank in low doses to help with a low nutrient system.

I appreciate the help jedninja, I love your little nano, if I wasn't building a new 60g, I'd seriously consider doing a setup like yours!

jedininja
03/22/2005, 04:53 PM
You've seen my nano? Or you just talking about the setup?

I had an 80 gallon that cracked and this nano is holding me over until I have a 180 up and running which will be in a year or so.

mightymouse
03/22/2005, 07:42 PM
some people add pumps in front of the filter intake grade insider there so u haev flow going out and it gives you a pretty decent flow im thinking of doing this one myself

ProdigalPoster
03/23/2005, 01:39 AM
I saw your post jedininja with your nano, at least I think it was your's....lol.

Mouse, I'll have to consider that!

jedininja
03/23/2005, 11:37 AM
LOL. I actually dont think its mine. I havent posted my nano, at least not on this forum. But I just did start a thread on my whole setup on another forum which I moderate.