PDA

View Full Version : Automateic feeder for Baby Bangers (live food)

stiffljp
01/09/2002, 10:57 PM
Has anyone ever implemented a automatic feeder of live foods for Baby Bangers? I have my first unexpected batch of bangers that will most likely come in a couple of days. Unfortunately,I travel alot for work and will not be home in order to properly raise them. Unless I can figure something out I am afraid that I will have to depend on Darwin theory. I was thinking of something like a 2 liter bottle to raise the BBS with airline tubing and an extremely low drip to the breeding tank. The only thing that I don't know about is how the BBS will get sucked out the airline tubing mainly because I have never tried to raise Brine Shrimp before. (AKA how to regulate the amount that get sucked down ina given time period, and if there will be enough to last until I get back to refill it)

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate any advise!!!!

I have some ideas but I am not sure if I can perfect them in time for this batch.

Thanks

FMarini
01/10/2002, 01:58 PM
Hi:
Yes i even tried using an automated feeder as well. There is a company which makes an auto feeder which as little hoppers for each aliquot of food. These hoppers hold about 2 oz of liquid, which could include live concentrated baby brine shrimp (BBS). The feeders could drop as much as 12 hopper worth of food /day, and I set it for 3 times during the day, in addition i feed an additonal two times.
The problem i had is this auto feeder was a plug in model (which means the wheel sitting over the motor gets warm), and i was never sure how long the baby brine survived in each hopper. I test it once and found that most of (i use this term to describe that i did see many non moving BBS)the BBS did survive. I believe its called a Rondo matic feeder they had a 12 hopper and a larger model(18 hoppers).

if you travel alot get someone to care for these fry, as just using the feeders will not be enuf, once you start dumping in lots of food you'll have to start exchanging water frequently. My second suggestion is to hand the fry over to someone who can raise them for you.
frank

stiffljp
01/10/2002, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the info.... I will look at some of the MO to see if I can find it.

Here is what I had thought of.... I was going to take a small tank and drill a hole in the top of one side. I would then slowly feed the tank gradually, via a feeder or gravity feed of some sort. I would also have a weak powerhead that lays in my refug on a timer that would pump fresh water up to the breeder tank. I was thinking twice a day for approximately 1 minute each time. For a volume of approximately 2 gallons a day. Esentially, once the water flow reached a certain height it would flow out of the hole in the top. (hence acheiving a water change) Unfortunately unless I am there when the fry come out or immediately afterwards I have no means to get the fry to anyone. When I say I travel alot I mean I fly out Monday morning and fly home Friday night.

Thanks for you help