PDA

View Full Version : what do you feed your fish?

dzhuo
03/21/2005, 01:32 AM
hi all,
my tank has been cycling for one month and it's coming along nicely. so far the tank is free of diatom and hair algae. some tiny spots of coraline alages are starting to spread nicely. i think it's time for a small fish. i am planning to keep only gobies. maybe one or two. haven't decided which one to get yet but it will be one of the "standard" nano goby like yellow clown or one of the shrimp goby. so before i rush out and buy one i need to do 2 things:

1. check my water to make sure the cycle has completed. this will be done tomorrow.
2. fish needs to feed so it's time to see what food is best for goby.

what do you recommand? i am looking for food that can be easily stored and use. i have been looking at one of this:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12147&Ntt=cyclop&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

it's very expensive. anyone use this before? please let me know what you feed your fish.

thanks!

Sugar Magnolia
03/21/2005, 09:10 AM
Excellent product. I feed both my tanks cyclop-eeze a couple of times a week. The only problem I can see, is that the bar you're looking to buy is going to last you a very, very long time. In fact, the odds are that it will end up getting freezer burned on you and going bad before you've even used up 1/10 of that bar. A little of that stuff goes a l-o-n-g way.

I'd suggest trying the cyclop-eeze flake or another type of flake (Formula One), or even buying some frozen Formula One at your LFS.

YodaHart
03/21/2005, 09:16 AM
I've been using this flake food every day:

http://www.ocean-fresh.com/images/RIM00097.JPG

which can be found here:

http://www.ocean-fresh.com/foods.htm

The fish love it. In fact, my clown nips at my fingers every time I feed it.

I've also feed cycopleeze for my fish and inverts every 2 or 3 days. The bar I have costs about $15, but it lasts forever.

dzhuo
03/21/2005, 01:44 PM
Sugar Magnolia,
where can i find the cyclop-eeze flake? or a smaller bar of Cyclop-Eeze? or are you suggesting just go with Formula One?

YodaHart,
isn't flake food just float at the surface of the tank? my main fish will be goby which i assume is mostly bottom feeder? will flake food work for them?

thanks1

YodaHart
03/21/2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by dzhuo
isn't flake food just float at the surface of the tank? my main fish will be goby which i assume is mostly bottom feeder? will flake food work for them?

If you put the flakes under the water surface then it should be ok. I usually put the flakes in front of the powerhead so it circulates through the tank. My orange spotted goby comes out and eats all the flakes that come his way.

skipm
03/21/2005, 05:05 PM
Check with your LFS for the smaller bars of cyclopeeze. You can find the cyclopeeze flake at the same online vendor you linked for the frozen food. I have also used prime reef, formula one and two, and brine shrimp flakes made by Ocean Nutrition. Frozen foods are also offered to my tanks but are not packaged very conveniently for a nanotank with only one or two fish. My main fishfood is flake though. HTH, Skip

Agu
03/21/2005, 08:18 PM
I feed the freeze dried cyclop-eeze because of the freezer burn issue. It's not really flake though, more like granular.

However I mix it into homemade food. Couple of clams, a few mussels, an oyster ot two, some uncooked shrimp, nori, and a 2 oz fiish filet (they always look at me funny when I ask for two oz of fish ;) ). Top off with selcon and throw it in the food processer (don't do this while the family is home btw, it stinks) Last a few months in the freezer and costs under $10.

fwiw,

Agu

CrazyBeagle
03/21/2005, 08:18 PM
I put flake food in a plastic cup full of tank water. Then spill the cup into the tank. The flakes fall to the bottom.

dzhuo
03/21/2005, 09:48 PM
how do you use selcon anyway? i mean do you just take a cop, pure some selcon into it, pure some tank water, and drop some frozen or flake food into the cup as well. mix them up, wait for a minute or two and then dump the whole cup into the tank? is that how it works?

thanks!

Agu
03/22/2005, 01:36 PM
I have found that unless selcon is thoroughly soaked into the food it just floats to the surface and creates a slick in the tank. I suspect similar products are used in the manufacture of quality foods and it's not necessary to add it.

My food is soaked in ro/di water and kept in the fridge. I'll usually do two or three days worth this way. When it's time to feed I use my trusty wide bore plastic syringe, suck up about a half millileter of food, and shoot it into the tank. It's a pain to make up small amounts to feed a nano (two clowns) and easy to overfeed. This way takes about five seconds and I have dosage control.

fwiw,

Agu