PDA

View Full Version : Starting a custom 12DX cube...

Jestdave
03/20/2005, 08:49 PM
Hi folks.

First time poster here. I have a cube on order with Chris at nanocustomes:

1 x 2005 Nanocustoms Modded JBJ 12DX 3.24
- third bulb: 10000K Daylight
- second bulb: 50/50
- Moonlight Option: R2 Solution 5 LED Moonlight
- Third T-5: none
- Second T-5: Actinic Blue
- Additional T-5: Actinic Blue
- hinges: none
- Ballast Control: Dual Powercord
- Installation Options: none
- Overflow Mod: none
- Rear Sump Lighting: none
- Rear Sump ballast: none
- Bulb Type: Realux 24w Actinic Blue

Copying Larnie and a few others.

One question i have, a guy at one of my LFS has LR that is $15/lb, calling it 'Carribean rock'. The guy has a very impressive store as i have been all around my area looking who has what, but has anyone ever heard of this type of LR? Is it worth the price? He says he is the only one he knows of on the west coast that has it???

Also last question, what about using sea water to start your cycle. A few of my lfs have it for like a dollar a gallon and are recommending it to reduce cycle time and for water changes later. Thanks much.

artarmon42
03/20/2005, 08:57 PM
Was that LFS King's Aquarium?
I've only seen that type of rock there.

IMHO the colors look abit fake (not saying it's fake... just that it looks like it's been painted on). Regardless, coralline will grow over any rock over time, so I'm not sure I'd pay the extra $5-10/lb just to get some unnatural looking colors at the start.

Jestdave
03/20/2005, 09:27 PM
Actually it was at Mermaid Aquarium in Fremont. I ended up there because they were the only ones i could find that had the nano cube stands. I have yet to visit King....it is on my list though.

This stuff has lots of color yes, plus sea grass, clams and lots of other life on it i would think would die off during cycle??

KING OF THE REEF
03/20/2005, 09:45 PM
Ok first off welcome to rc. In my 20 gallon tall i made the mistake of buying carribean rock. I pais 9.99 a lb. I was ripped i tell you :( . I have all fiji in my other tanks and i paid 4.99-9.99 a lb for the pieces(9.99 was a rare find shape and it had a lot of soft corals on it. ImhoI would go with fiji rock from live aquariua. yes you will pay more, but they make packs of rock design for nano cubes (designed as in marketed for nano cube tanks). I think they sell it for 69.99 plus free shipping but im not sure. 18003343699 try them out.
The sea water is a bad idea. I hate to tell you this, but you will needa a ro/di purifacation system for the best water you coan get. I am not sure of my brand but i will give you an email tmmrw. It filters 100gpd (gallons per day) and it even comes with a 3 gallon tank for drinking water. very nice setup for $200. Go out and buy some Instant ocean salt mix. Maybe a 50 gallon mix i think will cost around $20. Then buy a refractometer or hydromyter (i have a refractometer from drs foster and smith). I paid $54 for mine and it has come in handy many times. The sg(specific gravity) needs to be around 1.024-1.026. Hope this helps and keep asking questions here on reefcentral. Also get a few good books on amazon.com. Ask anthony calfo for some help he has a forum here well happy reefkeeping

Jordan55
03/20/2005, 09:49 PM
You could also go with Phishybusiness.com for rock. He has the best rock I have ever seen and most, if not all of his customers agree. Sells for pretty cheap like 3-5$ a lb. He is very easy to work with and if you want smaller shapes he can hand pick them himself to get you what you need. Let me know fi you have any more questions about him and I will tell ya. Other than that I agree with Imareefer

artarmon42
03/21/2005, 02:30 AM
Personally, I'm a big fan of Premium Aquatic's nano sized rocks.
Ordered from them twice (for 2 different tanks) and was impressed by quality (perfect size, nice shapes, good coralline and other life on it).

Don't recall the exact price.
Think I got 20 lbs shipped two-day for $90.

Jestdave
03/21/2005, 10:07 AM
Thanks everyone who has responded thus far. I will look into those places while i wait for my cube. I have always heard LR is best bought online.
After visiting all the LFS, it seems that may be true. Plus they all seem to have large pieces as opposed to smaller ones effectively aquascape with.

mightymouse
03/21/2005, 10:19 AM
if you want the best rock you can buy go to tampabaysaltwater.com they sell a 10 gallon "the package" for 150 dollars which gives you a cleaneup crew and lr