PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer problems

Samper
03/20/2005, 05:44 PM
My old skimmer just cut out on me and I need some advice.

I keep a 20 gallon fairly heavily populated sps system and now that I have it stocked exactly the way I want it my skimmer has quit. My system is BB with about 60 lbs of LR. I perform a 2 gallon water change every Wed and a 5 Gallon every Sat siphoning deitrus off the bottom each time. I can't exactly afford another skimmer at the moment and want to know if you guys feel I could make it a month or so without one provided possibly more frequent water changes.

If any of you have any questions about my system please don't hesitate to ask if they will help you determine my course of action.

Also I have a very large ER that I was planning on setting up on my 120 and if I could find a hang on overflow and small return pump I could use it off and on until another hang on comes into the picture. If any of you have such items I'd be interested. Money is tight due to me being in the military but we can work something out. Thanks guys.

skipm
03/20/2005, 06:18 PM
Just keep a close eye on your water parameters and you can probably get by with just water changes.

Samper
03/20/2005, 06:22 PM
I'll monitor it closely but even on my old WC schedule my skimmer was pulling out about 1/2 cup per day so I worry.