PDA

View Full Version : sump ?

SirDudeness
01/08/2002, 01:02 AM
Do you want to use a sump on a horse tank or not ?
would it cause to much water motion,the reason I ask is cause I just bought this set-up in Sept. before I new about sumps,the opening under my 46gal bow is omly a 12x16 opening,thats not much and when I told the Ol'Lady I need yet another stand,well I'm sure you understand:fun2: ,cause if I go to the LFS for another stand,I'll come home with a bigger tank:D ,
anyhow,my fish and I thank you for any help on this
James

Airel
01/08/2002, 06:25 AM
Hi James,

Turnover should be 3X-5X your tank size. So for you that would be 138-235GPH. If you can keep it between those numbers, go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best of Luck,
DeAnne:D

SirDudeness
01/08/2002, 05:44 PM
with water turn being that low a sump will not work,the siphon overflow is a 300gph,my max would be 230 gph,would it be ok to go sumpless ?????an overflow with a lower gph rating I'm told is a bad thing ,
thanks-james

glh7767
01/10/2002, 05:36 PM
why do you feel your return of 300gph would be a problem. you always want the overflow capacity to be greater than the output of your return pump, otherwise, an algae buildup, slight narrowing of the lumen inside a tube for whatever reason= big mess on floor. take a look under any sink you have in the house. the pressure side, read that as feed lines to your faucet, are probably 1/2 inch copper, while the drain side is 11/4-11/2 inches.

SirDudeness
01/10/2002, 06:39 PM
whats up Gary
thats a good point,this is still all new to me.........I have never set up a sump before and the last thing I claim to be is a plumber.
I was thinking overflow had to = return,300 out-300 back in by means of a return pump with a higher rating than 300gph that could be turned down to the rate of overflow gph.you made mention of the plumbing under any sink-the feed lines to my faucet being 1/2 copper tubing under pressure,and under it is-but a siphon overflow is not under pressure,I'm confused:confused:if the overflow was greater than the return,would it not empty in time ?????? I'm sure you are right cause you have been at this alot longer than me,I suppose I just need to do some readding on how to plumb a sump to get a better understanding-thanks-james:D

glh7767
01/10/2002, 06:59 PM
Let me see if i can simplify. water is in your tank at the level of your overflow. additional water is pumped INTO your tank from the sump by some type of pump under pressure. as that pump adds water to the tank, the level rises. as the level rises above the level of your overflow, it PASSIVELY falls by gravity back to the sump. the cycle then repeats itself. the overflow CANNOT receive any more water than the maximum output of your pump. it is absolutely ok and recommended that the overflow be able to handle MORE flow than the pump can put out. that's why i used the example of the sink. water is supplied under pressure to the faucet, but then drains PASSIVELY via gravity into the drain. and the drain pipe is always bigger than the supply pipe so water does not back up. hope this helps.

SirDudeness
01/10/2002, 07:11 PM
thanks Gary
I think think you just turned the light on,:idea: it really is that simple,daahh-I could get a 200-250gph return pump with a 300gph overflow and be on the money,sometimes it's the simple things the stump us,cause I sure as hell feel stupid now.
thanks-james :D

glh7767
01/10/2002, 07:20 PM
don't feel that way. anyone on these boards who says they haven't made a mistake is either a liar or hasn't got a tank. that's what this kind of forum is all about.