PDA

View Full Version : Marinelife

redpyro
03/18/2005, 05:13 PM
Hey Eric,
Did the star polyps ever open up for you?
Matt

marinelife
03/18/2005, 05:29 PM
HAHAHA no, well I moved them higher and got two polyps to open, The good new the rabbits eye is looking better and it is eating again

redpyro
03/18/2005, 05:34 PM
Thats great on the rabbit, keep me posted on the GSP...so wierd they wont open. How are the yellow polyps doing?

marinelife
03/18/2005, 06:01 PM
Yellows are doing great been open since before I even took them out of the bag

redpyro
03/18/2005, 06:29 PM
sucks on the GTP, but good on the yellow ones....they dont like to close...stalks are so long. The mama rock of my yellows the stalks of the polyps are about 1.5 inches maybe a little longer.

ohioreef
03/18/2005, 09:20 PM
redpyro,

A question about yellow polyps. I got a colony a couple weeks ago. It looks like they are not as "dense" as they were before. I'm not sure if they are dying back or if maybe they are spreading out some.

What would cause them to die back? I've been spot feeding them and some of them are starting to get big. Would they outcompete the smaller ones?

redpyro
03/18/2005, 09:28 PM
depends. I have tried twice in my early reef years to keep yellow polyps and they would just waist away. But this would take time. I will say that some days my yellow polyp colony looks thinned out and some days looks full. I think some days my larger ones really stretch out overshadowing the smaller ones underneath making it look thin.

I am by no means a yellow polyp expert. I have seen them short and tall. The guy I got my yellows from had a rock under 250 MH about 4 inches from the waters surface in the center of the tank. The rock was about 14 inches long and the polyps where about 6 inches tall. It was unreal. Any they werent really yellow. Almost a rusted yellow color. Looked really wierd then they got that big. Like Giant yellow hair algea :)

atreis
03/19/2005, 01:20 PM
My yellow polyps are spreading, but I've noticed they seem to do so a lot more slowly than my other polyps.

marinelife
03/23/2005, 12:21 PM
I am upto about 6-8 polyps open on the Star Polyp mat, going to do a small water change today and see what they do after

redpyro
03/23/2005, 12:24 PM
well there increasing, :) they wont all open until the purple polyp tubes adjust to the correct light angle. may take a little but but at least your getting more to that point. they should be really hardy and eventually all open up

marinelife
03/23/2005, 01:26 PM
I hope so they are cool and I have been wanting to keep some for a long time