PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Point artifacts

Tucson_Phish
03/18/2005, 05:09 PM
I'm planning a trip to rocky point....

My question is can I just bring back some sand to put in my tank for live sand?

I was thinking to collect if from just out past where the tide goes out to.. then keep it wet while I bring it back home

What do you think?

Tucson_Phish
03/18/2005, 09:18 PM
I did a search and read another post from Florida and long story short it is legal to collect live sand (in Florida)

Has anyone herd of anyone doing this?

Roll221
03/19/2005, 12:56 PM
Post this up in the Pheonix forums, I know some of those guys have been down to Rock Point. My they cam give you better adive.

Ed

Aquatic Oasis
04/05/2005, 12:14 AM
My advice would be to not take the sand, especially from the beach. There are lots of pollutants on the beach that in a large body of water do not harm fish but in a closed environment (like an aquarium) could be lethal. If you are really eager to use natural sand, go out a couple miles from the beach and collect it there. It would be a much safer option. An example of this is our own beaches along the coast of California, New Jersey, etc. The beaches are often closed for hazardous chemicals (such as DDT, EDTA, etc.). This is in a country that regulates such things. Nothing against Mexico, but they are the most environmentally friendly nation out there.

Oh and please don't think that I am saying this simply because I own a store and want yout to buy it from me. It only takes a couple dead fish/corals to make up for buying a couple bags of sand...

ghostbear29
04/11/2005, 11:34 AM
They are not the most or the most? I have seen the harbor in Guaymas, pretty dirty! Also the tidal effects would be different also right? I believe it is a diurnal or multidiurnal tide. I'll have to check. Anyway the sand could be exposed alot more and that would have some effect in my opinion. Just stick with someone elses tank for live sand. Safer.

AzMandella
04/14/2005, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't use Rocky Point sand for reasons already stated.I use the Natures Ocean live sand.In my opinion it's the best on the market.I put 4 20# bags in my 80 gl tank and already have cocapods galore and that's in the daytime with the lights on.