PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some local advise

pjmoore
03/17/2005, 04:21 PM
I posted this over in the Lighting, Filtration, etc forum, but it is not getting a lot of response.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=551876

Basically, I was just about ready to upgrade my lighting, and had decided on PC. However, I did a little more research recently and am not quite so sure. The tank dimensions and what I am looking to keep are in the thread posted above. Anyone have any input?

GregM779
03/17/2005, 04:39 PM
T5's are better than PCs but not if you can get only 2 in your hood. In my old 55g I had pcs and kept all of the stuff you listed plus some, even my anemones did fine under the PCs. The brighter the better even in FOWLRs, it makes the fish look better. I would go with the orbit or even a coralife fixture. You can see my old fixture at the meeting if you can hold off until then.

This is a pic of the 55g under 2x10k 65w PCs & 2xactinics 65w PCs.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/7041255-Gallon.jpg

dgasmd
03/17/2005, 04:45 PM
Why not just get a single 175 watt SE or DE MH bulb with reflector and ballast? It would be more cost efficient.

GregM779
03/17/2005, 04:53 PM
You'd have to do a 20k MH for it to look good, if you did a 10k you would have to buy PCs in addition to the MH for the full spectrum. If he's mainly interested in ricordia, I've noticed that they actually grow and split quicker in non MH lighting.

daywn
03/17/2005, 05:29 PM
pjmoore,i have a ficture i'm not using i'll sell to you for fifty dollars.I got it in a package deal and have no use for it.It's 29"X9"X3 1/4".It has two 65watt pc's with two seperate switches and a fan on one end of it.I never heard of the brand,Finnex.Send me your email address and i'll send you some pics if your interested,i can bring them to the meeting if you want them.
Thanks Paul

daywn
03/17/2005, 05:44 PM
Sorry,just took pics and noticed they were 55's not 65's.And with the leg's,it's 5 1/2" tall.Let me know if your interested.
Thanks Paul

nanokeeper
03/17/2005, 10:22 PM
PJMoore, check this out. Not very powerful but for a mixed tank it seems like a decent deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46314&item=4365951836&tc=photo&refid=store

Also, I'm still bringing the refuge to the meeting right? Just wanted to verify.

Pete

Ludwigia73
03/17/2005, 10:48 PM
Sorry, but for that price you could probably get a 250w mh. In other words, I think that's a bit high a price.

pjmoore
03/17/2005, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. One thing I should have clarified is that I was planning on having to replace the existing hood in one form or another. I was leaning toward a packaged fixture, but a new hood with retrofit kits are still a possibilty.

I had not really considered MH for a few reasons. I would like to avoid the heat issue, and the cost (both the intial cost and operational costs). However, I will spend some more time looking at MH. Just not tonight....it has been a long day.

dgasmd
03/18/2005, 03:06 PM
pjmoore:

For what you described you want to keep, you would be very well served with a 20K 175 watt MH bulb. I seriously doubt heat would be an issue if you position a fan blowing across the surface of the tank.

Having said that, I am personally more biased to VHO bulbs rather than PC. I seriously think PC bulbs run their intensity just the same as VHO bulb as they work both on the same concept and technology. You could look into one of the hellolights kits that come with reflector, ballast, pre-wired endcaps, and add bulbs to it. I think the color rendition from a good combination of VHO is far nicere than what you can get from PC and their cost is slightly under PC as well as far as replacement goes. Just an opinion.