PDA

View Full Version : Return Pump

ohioreef
03/16/2005, 04:24 PM
I'm curious how people have their return pumps setup.

Mine is a submersible and sits in my sump. The prefilter that came with the pump is fairly small and clogs easily. It wouldn't be so bad if it was easy to get off to clean, but it's a pain and I have to pull the pump out of the sump to get it out.

I made a larger one using the foam one out of my overflow with a rigid insert that it slides over. See pic. I can simply unscrew the whole assembly to clean it without removing the pump from the sump.

Are there any issues I should be concerned about with this? I'm not growing pods in my refuge so I'm not worried about that. I'm just trying to prevent the gunk in my sump from being pumped up to the main tank.

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/ohioreef/pics/pump.jpg

marinelife
03/16/2005, 04:26 PM
Outside the sump with no prefilter

redpyro
03/16/2005, 04:35 PM
inside the sump no prefilter

Slicktrax
03/16/2005, 04:45 PM
Outside the sump with no prefilter, but need one. i get bubbles from my skimmer (in sump) that make the main tank look bad.

redpyro
03/16/2005, 04:47 PM
prefilters = either more work keeping them clean or alot of dead crap build up meaning more nitrates and algea problems....since i removed my foam and prefilters from sump 2 years ago, no algea.

redpyro
03/16/2005, 04:48 PM
get rid of the pre filters and find the cause of the microbubbles. Add baffels or LR to slow the current in sump and help the bubbles to surface or break before reaching the return pump. I used to get bubbles and they would **** me off which is why i kept the foam. Find the problem and fix it instead much easier in the long run.

ohioreef
03/16/2005, 04:59 PM
So it would be okay to run the pump without any prefilters at all?

Boy that would make things easier.

Should there at least be a "screen" on it to keep the big stuff out?

Slicktrax
03/16/2005, 05:12 PM
I would love to have this as a sump, but my fabrication skills fall under the category of slim to none. It would take care of allmy needs in one unit.

DIY Sump (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=347070)

Slicktrax
03/16/2005, 05:15 PM
You can run without a prefilter. I do get occasional pieces of rock or shell in my pump though. If you can get a screen to prevent this it would help.

redpyro
03/16/2005, 05:44 PM
i have no filters of any kind, just LR in the sump with some bioballs to help keep it quiet. I rince the bioballs about every 10 months to prevent nitrate build up

bigfalcon36
03/16/2005, 08:00 PM
christ, that is that baddest sump I have seen. I have my sump plumbed outside my sump

ohioreef
03/16/2005, 08:43 PM
Well, I removed my prefilter from my pump. I'll see what happens. I guess the worst is that the detritus will settle in the bottom of the tank and then the snails will have something to eat!!

atreis
03/17/2005, 05:35 PM
My pumps are all in the sump. I don't use any prefilters.

Micki
03/17/2005, 05:44 PM
Hey Gary I don't run any filters on anything. I have a pump running my skimmer and I have a pump outside of the sump.