PDA

View Full Version : Manatee County City Water....

myakkareef
03/16/2005, 03:33 PM
My tank has always been run off my well water thru RO/DI...I am wondering from those who have Manatee County Water do I need to do anything else other then RO/DI??? Do you use any type of chlorine removal????

sandman12
03/16/2005, 10:01 PM
i dont...

jerrymlr1
03/16/2005, 10:04 PM
Scott, check with Manatee county to see if they use chlorine or chloramines. They are different and need different filters in the RO unit. You might be able to find it online.
Jerry

Agu
03/16/2005, 10:05 PM
Scott,

As I recall you need to find out if they use chlorine or chloramine. In any case the carbon block is effective but the chloramine eats it up faster. I replace my carbon block and micron filter every 6 months. With your large tank every three months will protect your ro membrane , and they're cheap enough .

jmo,

Agu

myakkareef
03/17/2005, 08:26 AM
Thanks all..I will look into the Chlorine / Chloramines...
The room is being tiled this weekend where my tank will go, so hopefully I will be able to move it into the new house the following weekend. Will be nice to have it local again....But my folks are keeping good care and as most know my tank was mostly automated so they only really need to feed......

myakkareef
03/17/2005, 08:41 AM
Ok, read the Manatee County web site and they use Chloramines...So from what you are saying I should probally go to changing carbon block out every 2-3 months...I also have a well but it has no filtration or pressure tank. But I think I will stick with the county water and see what kind of TDS and effects I get....When I move the tank back in I will again move 99% of the water with me so it will not be a major factor....Hopefully this will be the last time to move the tank for awhile...

jerrymlr1
03/17/2005, 09:27 AM
Scott, I use a different filter for the RO unit that is specifically for removing the chloramines. It will last a good while. When I bought the unit from Aquaticreefsystems.com. He told me the chloramines needed the special filter. I don't know the specifics but you might want to ask the manufacturer of your RODI unit about chloramines and what you might need.
Jerry

myakkareef
03/17/2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks Jerry I will do that..

sandman12
03/17/2005, 12:37 PM
Scott, now that ur in manatee county u have to change ur name :)
I think you and I are the only manatee reefers.

myakkareef
03/17/2005, 04:57 PM
Hey James, I know about the name change. I was in Manatee County before just was on Well did not have the luxury of county water...Also Robert was in Manatee where we did the Jan meeting...I do not know what to change my name to yet. I post on some other forums of interest and use "Myakka***" on them as well so I need to come up with something that can be used on other forums....
James do you run any special carbon or RO filter for the county chloramines??? I moved all those DIY parts for you so someday I will get them to you...We are alot closer to you guys now, just on the East side of 75 on SR70...Also James Crawford lives on the west side of 75 on SR70....Hopefully we will see you at the next meeting, Need any Chaeto or xenia???
Hey the other thing is I will soon have DSL woho livin in the civilized world. Not sure if it is good or bad yet...

Agu
03/17/2005, 07:07 PM
Scott,

Everything you need to know about chloramines and aquariums,

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rhf/feature/index.htm

Agu

sandman12
03/17/2005, 07:20 PM
I dont run any speacial filters and get 1 TDS.
I should be at the next meeting (asked off work).
I have plenty of cheato and the last piece of xenia was doing good in my 15g, then i moved it to my 135 and it died in 2 days :(. I will have to wait till the prop tank is ready to see if it will live in that tank.

Thanks
James

jerrymlr1
03/17/2005, 08:39 PM
Chloaramine beetle. :eek1: Fascinating! :rollface:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/46512Chloramine_Beetle.jpg

myakkareef
03/18/2005, 10:50 AM
Dang if that beetle kills my xenia like it kills James I will squish it....

myakkareef
03/18/2005, 11:00 AM
Agu, thanks for the Link..That is good information...I love reading Randys articles I just never understand them untill he comes out and says this is good , this is bad, do this, not that...I think I will stick with the county water and be dutiful on my cartridge replacement....

multi striped 12
03/31/2005, 10:06 PM
Hey Scott
I run a double special carbon before the pre filter and other carbon to help break bond between carbon and amonia ...the aquatic reef guy helped me

You may have allready donr something I'm late to the thread

myakkareef
04/01/2005, 07:56 AM
Multi-I have not hooked up the RODI yet...Mya tank is still at my moms, but it will be very soon...I will probally start out with my straight 5 stage and replace the carbon pre's more often....I can by them in bulk if need be....Thanks for your setup decription though...

multi striped 12
04/01/2005, 09:52 PM
That is the idea with the carbon before the pre filter so you don't have to change you carbon more often....you need alot of contact time with carbon to help break the bond...thats why I put in the two single carbons..
that is what aquatic reef told me

Jim
M S 12

celldweller
04/04/2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by sandman12
Scott, now that ur in manatee county u have to change ur name :)
I think you and I are the only manatee reefers.

Make that 3 of us! :rollface: