PDA

View Full Version : Why do i get zapped??

daywn
03/16/2005, 02:26 PM
It seems like every now and then when i touch the water in my fuge or my sump or frag tank,it feels like i get zapped.If i have to go into the main tank for any reason,i don't feel anything.I have no leaks anywere,everything stays dry.I'm running everything through a surge protector.What could be the problem?What do i need to do to get a better ground?Any info will be very much appreciated.
Thanks Paul

Sloth
03/16/2005, 03:21 PM
Zapped like static cling, zapped?

Or zapped like blasted-you-across-the-room zapped?

I get the static one sometimes and it's just that. Static. No different than shuffling your feet on a dry floor and touching something metal. Saltwater is a conductor of electricity and most of your electronics and cords are hanging out of the sump. You get zapped when you touch the sump because it is grounded (probably through those cords, I dunno). Or just because it is not carrying the same charge that you are after shuffling across the floor.

edit: I just thought of another thing - it could be static that has built up from the pumping water itself. I know that happens when you pump gasoline from one container to another, you have to ground them. Maybe its a charge that's actually building up in your tank, and YOU are grounding it. bzzzzt

daywn
03/16/2005, 06:34 PM
Ok,thanks.I guess it's just static zap.My sump is plumbed through the wall from the tank and the room the sump is in is carpeted and the room the tank's in is tile.I guess it's like when we were kids and used to drag our feet on the carpet and walk up to someone and zap them.Thanks for the info.
Thanks Paul

Ludwigia73
03/16/2005, 06:39 PM
You should have a grounding probe on any tank. Also, rule out possible causes by first touching it, then touch it again within 30 seconds. If you get zapped again right away, something's faulty. Unplug stuff one by one, and touch it again. If you get to the point where it doesn't zap you, you found the problem.

daywn
03/16/2005, 06:41 PM
What's the grouding pribe and were do i get it?

GregM779
03/16/2005, 08:58 PM
The grounding probes are made out of titanium and are sold at most LFSs. I think they're like $25 and you wire it to a ground of an electrical outlet.

Ludwigia73
03/16/2005, 09:49 PM
I got lucky and got an open container buy for 10 bucks, but I've seen them as low as 20. They are a necessity in my opinion.

stellablu
03/17/2005, 09:57 AM
Not sure if this is off topic, but do you all unplug your heater when doing water changes or before placing your hand in the tank?

KING OF THE REEF
03/17/2005, 11:32 AM
nope never i never have the shock problem maybe static like someone said

pjmoore
03/17/2005, 01:04 PM
I unplug the heater in my quarantine tank when I do water changes in it (when it is up and running). The heater is high up in the tank, so a portion of it becomes exposed. It is titanium, but I unplug it anyway. I don't unplug the heater in my main tank since it is pretty low and the water level never approaches the heater.

I don't have a grounding probe on my tank, but I do have a GFCI. I did a bit of research here on RC back when I was starting my tank up. One reason I opted to not use a grounding probe is that with a grounding probe, you will not know if you have stray current in the tank (assuming the grounding probe does its job). A tripped GFCI will let you know you have a problem, plus it will prevent you from getting zapped.

The main purpose of the grounding probe is to provide a path for stray current to leave the tank so that it does not harm the inhabitants. A GFCI prevents stray current from entering the tank to begin with by opening the circuit at the first sign of a current leak. Although, I guess you could use both...I don't recall if there was any discussion on using both. If you do a search here on RC there should be some information available.

Carl_in_Florida
03/17/2005, 01:52 PM
Did you do any of lighting wiring yourself? I used to get a good zap when i would put my hand in the tank and my arm would touch my pendant and i figured out what it was.
My pendant was grounded. A large salt creep stalagmite (stalagtite?) dripped down from my diy light in the fuge.
I figured this was the problem after i switched out the light. That is when i noticed the salt on the wiring.
Hope this helps.

Carl

Sloth
03/18/2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Carl_in_Florida
stalagmite (stalagtite?)
the mites go up and
the tites come down ;)

langjc
03/18/2005, 11:04 AM
Check your heaters they will eventually wear down and expose a live wire.

TimD
03/18/2005, 02:17 PM
stalagmite (stalagtite?)

Stalagmites start on the ground.
Stalactites start on the ceiling.

Carl_in_Florida
03/18/2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by TimD
Stalagmites start on the ground.
Stalactites start on the ceiling.

Someone took the SAT

KING OF THE REEF