PDA

View Full Version : PO4 Reactor

ohioreef
03/16/2005, 12:58 PM
I'm curious how many people here are running PO4 (phosphate) reactors?

I've had mine on for a couple months now and it doesn't seem like it has done anything to help my HA problem.

I'm wondering if it woudn't be more of a benefit to me to run carbon in mine rather than PO4 media.

Thoughts, comments?

Slicktrax
03/16/2005, 01:27 PM
I don't use one and I dont have any hair algae. I think my hermits and stingy feedings keep the algae under control. I used to have a constant diatom/cyano problem, but cutting back on food cleared that up quickly.

ohioreef
03/16/2005, 01:46 PM
Do you run carbon? Do you think carbon would be more of a benefit?

I got the PO4 when I got the HA thinking maybe the water I was using had PO4 in it.

Now that I've got my own RODI, that shouldn't be an issue.

Do you know if frozen foods tend to have PO4 in them?

Slicktrax
03/16/2005, 03:20 PM
I dont run carbon on my tank. I dont think carbon will help the phosphate problem and could aggravate your problem. Here is an article that talks about using activated carbon in the aquarium.

Carbon Article (http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/carbon.html)

The RO/DI will help over time. I have heard, but dont know for sure, that frozen foods can have more phosphate. I dont know if it applies to fresh frozen foods or processed foods. I will have to research that.

ohioreef
03/16/2005, 04:16 PM
I'm not sure that I do actually have a PO4 problem. I needed to clean the reactor anyway so I've totally taken it off the system and I'll watch my PO4 level. If it starts rising I'll throw it back on.

I've heard mized reviews for an against carbon in a reef aquarium. I had been running some in a small Duetto filter but I don't think it was enough to do anything whether it was good or bad.

Micki
03/16/2005, 04:37 PM
Have you ever tested for PO4 Gary?

Slicktrax
03/16/2005, 04:53 PM
My bad, I thought PO4 was the problem. I guess I should read more carefully. Generally nuisance algae is a nutrient oriented problem. Either excess phosphorus or excess nitrogen compounds. Do you have a refuge with "good" algae for nutrient export? The good algae should be able to pull nutrients out of water better than the nuisance algae.

ohioreef
03/16/2005, 05:00 PM
yes i have a fuge with chaeto in it. It appears that my HA may be starting to die back. Probably just jinxed myself!!

My PO4 readings have been 0, but from what I understand that doesn't mean a whole lot.

atreis
03/17/2005, 05:39 PM
I don't use a PO4 reactor, but do run carbon. I've never had an algae problem in my display tank. I do have a large refugium with lots of algae in it, including some undesirable sorts. I unscientifically conclude from this that the refugium is working nicely to control algae in my main tank. :)