PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade

moatcarp01
03/14/2005, 09:37 PM
Hello everyone... me again. Ive finally decided to upgrade my 10g freshwater tank into a nano tank :) i know what to do however i have one question. Would a HOB penguin whisper filter provide enough filtration for saltwater? also i have a freshwater heater w/o metal (i checked very closely).. would i be able to use both of these with an aditional air pump (if needed) for saltwater?
-any replys will be greatly appreciated :D thank you

skipm
03/14/2005, 09:57 PM
Are you going to have any live rock? The powerfilter should be fine for your new tank but I wouldn't trust the heater since its not rated for saltwater. Besides heaters are cheap from the on-line vendors.

moatcarp01
03/15/2005, 02:50 PM
yes i am going to have live rock, i am also going to try and obtain coral fragments from the lfs if they have. what heater would you recommend? i hear ebo-jager i believe it was is pretty good?

Stevan
03/15/2005, 03:02 PM
Ebo-Jaeger are now called just Jaeger. They are probably the best most accurate heater out there, but I think the smallest they make is a 50watt.

jedininja
03/15/2005, 03:43 PM
Also, you'll definatly want to add a powerhead to the tank even with the HOB filter. Make sure you wash the filter out real well and replace the sponges.

Sugar Magnolia
03/15/2005, 03:47 PM
I agree, a small PH is going to be needed. I like the Micro-jet for it's small profile and adjustable flow. I have one that's been running continuously for over 3 years now.

For the heater, you could get one of these little guys and stick it in your HOB. I have one in my 2.5 and have never had a problem with it. Been running for over a year and keeps the tank at a steady 80 degrees. http://petsolutions.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_15510721_A_Thermal+Compact+Heaters_E_

skipm
03/15/2005, 06:23 PM
I have one of the same heaters in my Nanocube 12 DX and it fits well in the back compartment and does a good job in maintaining temp. They are relatively inexpensive too if you get them from an on-line vendor.
Something else you may look into if your hang on is very big is to mod it into a hang on refugium. Do a search, there have been alot of threads about this subject.
You will also need 1 or 2 powerheads as already stated, especially if you want to keep SPS corals. HTH, Skip