PDA

View Full Version : 10g nano lighting?

ReefRockerLive
03/14/2005, 08:03 PM
I was thinking about getting a 75w HQI light for my 10g nano. Is that enough light to keep all types of coral?
I really want to keep mostly SPS frags in that tank.
Also, am I going to need a skimmer? If so, what kind?
LMK
Thanks

skipm
03/14/2005, 10:02 PM
A 70 watt HQI will allow you to keep about anything you desire. You can get by without having a skimmer as long as you do weekly water changes to keep on top of your water quality.

ReefRockerLive
03/14/2005, 10:07 PM
Sounds good...I guess I'll start a 10g nano.
Thanks for the reply,skipm!

Foosinho
03/14/2005, 10:59 PM
Not to hijack, but I'm also working on a 10g nano. I've already got a CSL 32W PC from an old tank, but I'd like more lighting. But not MH - I don't think I can make that work, with keeping temperature down in a closed hood, and keeping the bulb far enough off the water.

I'd like to keep a clam, or maybe a BTA - would two 24W T5's and the 32W PC be enough on a 10g? Or would I need to add another PC? Drop the PCs altogether and put in 4 T5 bulbs? It's getting close to decision time on this, and I really can't make up my mind.

ReefRockerLive
03/14/2005, 11:02 PM
IMO, I'd say that if you want to get a clam, you are limited when it comes to PC lighting. You can probably get away with a squamosa clam, but nothing like crocea or maxima. They require MH lighting.

skipm
03/15/2005, 10:52 AM
If you can afford to do it go with the 4 T5s with SunLightSupply reflectors. You should be able to keep a clam no problem then. One thing to keep in mind is that clams under about 3" require target feedings of phytoplankton, they do not have enough zooxanthellae to provide enough food for them. I would start out with either a dersa or squamosa clam since they are slightly lower light clams compared to the maximas. HTH, Skip