PDA

View Full Version : Canopy

DrkShadow
01/06/2002, 09:58 AM
The construction part is done other then mounting lighting & finishing, staining, etc, etc.

DrkShadow
01/06/2002, 09:58 AM
Doors closed

Don Davis
01/06/2002, 10:41 AM
Hey Richard that turned out great. Can't wait to see it with stain and lights. :D

Don

Lilgrasshopper
01/06/2002, 10:51 AM
That looks very professionally done!! HOwever, I can see the top rims of the aquarium..might want to lower the thing a bit to hide the rims. How do u join the sides together?? That's my main concern for my canopy....I suck at woodwork.

rldavis
01/06/2002, 12:55 PM
Richard,

VERY NICE!!! Is that a shelf in the top? If so, that was a great idea. You might want to consider however, raising it up a little bit so you can have better access with arms and stuff once your lights are intstalled. Can't wait to see it finished.

Becky:D

Little Reefer Boy
01/06/2002, 01:38 PM
Nice design, Richard.

It is very similar to what I have planned out. I too am hanging my lights from the underside of a shelf. The shelf space will be at least high enough to install a row of switches to control everything.

My idea also incorporates a hinged top lid. Does yours? I am not done yet, but my hope is that I will be able to hinge open the top, tilt the shelf/light tray, and then lift it onto a higher ledge near the top of the canopy when/if I need to do major work in the tank. That way I can still see into the tank, unlike lights that are attached to a hinged lid.

Does anybody know where we can buy the connectors like those on light harnesses? I would like switches placed in the canopy to control outlets placed inside the stand. I just think it would be cool, in the event that I needed to take the canopy off, if the whole canopy/lights/switches unit could be quickly disconnected. Maybe the power connectors used for connecting power cables to computer IDE drives?

Again, good job on the canopy!
Grant

DrkShadow
01/06/2002, 11:22 PM

DrkShadow
01/06/2002, 11:23 PM
Thanks, took ALL day Sat. 9a-11:30p.. Good thing I don't make these for a living.. haha

Yes that self will have lights under it, I can raise the front of it up and latch it as well to give a little more arm working space. The lights can come out complete by sliding them out the back. The canopy doesn't weigh too much, I put it on the tank by myself without too much effort.

Yes a little error and some trim shows, but not after I put a small piece of pretty red oak trim on it :D

I'll put another pic once I get it finished/lights/etc. Now to finish the sump. Just a plain acrylic box atm.

Don Davis
01/07/2002, 07:19 PM
Hey Grant, Radio Shack is as good a place as any to get power connectors. You might also try Radio Supply on North Classen downtown. Here's a link (http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F003%5F007%5F000&Page=1) to Radio Shack's online site. The stores don't carry everything, but you can get a store to order it in for you or just order it online.

Instead of switches in your canopy, I'd recommend x-10 mudules. I control all my tank lights in different rooms with one remote control. You can also use them on pumps. No more unplugging pumps for maintenance, just turn the pump off with the remote control. You can also use them as timers, but they get interference with electronic ballasts so you have to modify the module. They are probably the best investment I've made for my tanks and I highly recommend them.

Hope this helps,

Don

Lilgrasshopper
01/07/2002, 08:11 PM
YOu can make something like the pictures below. I made (actually my friend took over) a box switch that u can plug in on one side and the switch is on the other facing you. It's very convenient.

Little Reefer Boy
01/07/2002, 10:27 PM
Tom,

That's exactly what I've made before. What I wanted to do, though, was have the switches up in the canopy in easy reach with all the outlets down below in the stand. I just wanted to be able to have one cable/set of cables that could be quickly disconnected so the canopy could be removed without having to undo electrical tape/wire nuts.

Don,

I was actually at Synergy (Radio Supply) this morning. I thought about them after my original post. I've used them for alot of previous projects. Lots of cool stuff there. They do indeed have the molex connectors. The max connector I could find was 9 amps max. So I should be fine, but I'll have to make sure I plan it right. I have thought about the X-10 modules too. Haven't looked into it too much...some people say there are interference probs with certain situations, though. I only have the one tank (well, one main tank) so I'm not sure I need all that.

An interesting thing I saw at Lowes, maybe Home Depot...can't remember. GE makes these outlets with accompanying remote or wall plate. I think it works by radio waves. For someone that's not into wiring, it's an easy way to place a remote switch anywhere. About $25.

Grant

Lilgrasshopper
01/08/2002, 12:32 AM
I have 6 of the appliance modules. I bought these a few months ago when I was going that route...but I had stumbled on a website that has the wiring for the box like the picture above..so I ended up doing 3 boxes for myself. What other equipments do I need with the appliance module to make it work by remote control???

rldavis
01/08/2002, 03:54 AM
Maybe my husband can chime in here later, but our X-10s came in a little kit. There were a few lamp modules, an appliance module or two and the remote control. If my memory serves me correctly, they have a few different kits, some come with more, some with less. I personally like the remote control thing, plus if we ever step up to some type of aquacontroller like a Neptune, we're already in good shape with the modules. :D

Hope this helps!
Becky

Don Davis
01/08/2002, 10:58 AM
Tom, if you already have some modules and you want to go the remote control route, all you need is the remote control and the transceiver module.

Here is a kit (http://www.x10.com/products/x10_HK10A2.htm) with everything you will need, plus an extra module for $19.99.

Radio shack sells the same thing, but it is $49.99. Here is a link. (http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F006%5F002%5F002%5F000&product%5Fid=980%2D0237&MSCSProfile=745D84CBF04D14A48AA6FF9C89D722C036698F129F4C93D891A07105F1015CEB4C6BCD8DEC5AE5EA7D4B5B52 C206DE0252D40EE138DC7ADEBA9825156639A336445A36ECC7EE549809D97E519522AA5AA9C61D0B769C1D9573B591410AC7 F8C36C32CDD4D53A4D42B25E99FDA4BFC0A88BA667114C8FC5E1FFFF7CD9A35C3CF122AA10B4F009A38F)

I got a starter kit with the remote control, keychain remote, transceiver module, computer interface module, lamp module, appliance module, and software for $49.99. Then I bought 6 more modules. Don't waste your time or money on the lamp modules, use the three pin appliance modules. If you are having trouble controlling electronic ballasts, you can cut pin 7 on the IC in the module.

Later,

Don

Little Reefer Boy
01/08/2002, 11:25 AM
wasn't there something about how modules needed to be on the same circuit or something. like the couldn't be on circuits that were on opposite phase?

JasonF
01/09/2002, 06:54 PM
Anyone feel like building me one of these on comission?:D
I just don't have the space in an appartment to build something like this and realy need a more spacious canopy. I'm having some heat problems with the stock Oceanic one I bought.

Don Davis
01/10/2002, 09:33 AM
Jason, call me and we'll work something out.

Don