PDA

View Full Version : 3 hrs. and 20 gal.

STACKER
03/13/2005, 08:54 AM
Man, I am knackered... I pulled 1/2 of my LR then cleaned and resituated it, today I'll do the other 1/2 in and attempt to remove tons of detrius, algae, and other undesirables. This is all a means to build flatter shelved for frags and move forward on stocking the "money pit". I did a 5 gal. change in the morning then did 15 more when I saw how much detrius I'd loosened. The fish are still ****ed but they'll get over it! Anyone else in the building or re-building stage?

doody
03/13/2005, 09:52 AM
I am in the build stage. I have all my stuff in a 20L right now with my lights, maxi1200, heater, and ac300 for extra flow. But I'm in the process of switching it to a 29g. I'm in the middle of building a new stand fot the 29g. The old stand is ok, but it wont house my 20L under it which I want as a fuge/sump. I'm also in the middle of buildin an external overflow. This way there will be absolutely nothing inside of the tank but live stock and rock. Ill use a mag 9.5 running through a oceans motion squirt for my flow.

STACKER
03/14/2005, 06:51 AM
OK, I got the other 1/2 cleaned and repositioned (all corals are lined up un the front of the tank) pulled the skimmer and cleaned it from top to tail, same with the mag 12. I dod anoter 10 gal. change and switled a storm twice in an attempt to super clean the system and remove all the rest of the LR detrius, dead critter leftovers and LMB poo (man that boy lays a loaf!) Tonite I'll siphon clean the substrate where I can and change another 10 gal. I'm really looking forward to finally getting a clean system.

doody
03/14/2005, 08:51 AM
Whats all in the tank stacker

Ashley7524
03/14/2005, 12:02 PM
I guess I can say we are in the middle of building. We just bought a house and are upgrading from a 75g to a 150g. our 150g is going to be used as a room divider between the kitchen and living room. The 150g in going to be plumbed into the basment where the sump,fuge,and qt tank will be. We just finished doing the plumbing yesterday and started to add water. Tank is about half full of water now. In the next few day we are going to hang the lights (3 20k 250w MH). Then after that tank cycles will be the fun part moving everything from the 75g to the 150g.

STACKER
03/14/2005, 12:03 PM
right now, about 140# of Fiji LR, 3" mix of argonite, Atlantic sand and rubble (collected from OBX), various hitchhikers (crabs, snails, stars, pods etc.), 2 emerald crabs, 1 cleaner (scarlet) shrimp, bunches of dwarf hermits, nassarius and astrea snails, lunare wrasse, tomato clown, mandarin goby, bi-color blenny, lawn mower blenny, yellow watchman goby, yellow tang, large mixed zoo colony (red, green, blue) small green and red button frag, red shroom and green shroom frags. Much is the rock is heavily encrusted with coraline now but I moved everything to form one huge center cascade that I hope to cover with all manner of SPS and a few LPS corals. I may end up removing the wrasse and will most certainly be more gobies and more clean-up crew as things mature.

Right now it's pretty sparce but moving in the right direction at a slow pace. I'd post a pic from lastnight but I forgot to bring the camera in today.

Howieytown
03/20/2005, 09:27 PM
Speaking of building.......my new 75 has been running for almost six weeks, did the big switch over from my 37 yesterday afternoon. All the fish were pretty freaked out about the move but they look very happy in the new home. So far everything looks to be fine, just the nitrates shot up a little but its way lower than it used to be in the 37 gallon.
I bought this 75, stand and canopy from a guy on the Cleveland RC, restained the pine dark (sort of) to match my family room(sort of).
I have a 20L underneath, homemade sump/refuge, Berlin classic skimmer with a turbo retrofit (homemade).
The canopy was used with four 36" VHO lights but i bought it "lightless" and retro fitted (tore apart) two double Jebo (cheapo) compact fluoresents for a total of 440 watts of light. Only thing i dont like is the jebo "blue" bulbs, from what i hear they are just that, blue, not actinic!???? So i'm after a couple of coralife actinic bulbs to try.

Canopy question while i'm at it.... the previous owner did not use covers under the canopy on the tank, i'm using glass covers to help with evaporation...anyone see any problem with this? I'm really not sure why the previous owner didnt. ??

Howieytown
03/20/2005, 09:48 PM
Wow almost forgot the moonlights!
I just looked at the clock and realized its nite-nite time for the swimmers and i wanted to check the moonlight timer!!! This is the first day/night with the canopy lights all set up and working.....
Just as i got upstairs to look the moonlights clicked on, my spider crab was caught out in the open he is totally ugly and looks like a tarantula with every kinda of sponge and funk glued to his body. the other night creatures were also out and glad to see the peppermint shrimpp is still alive.
So far the only unaccounted one since the move yesterday is the pearly jaw fish, its pretty shy and hopefully didnt get caught under any rocks!
btw the moonlights are a homemade setup i found on ebay with four LEDs, I was going to build my own but for the price of these why bother...enough for now i'm going to see what else is crawling around in the moonlight

Ashley7524
03/21/2005, 10:16 AM
well we did the big switch last night. the 75g in now empty and the 150g is going good. Everything seems to be doing fine. The tang(yellow) is loving his space. Hopefully everything will be a little more clear today so we can see how everything is doing.

STACKER
03/21/2005, 10:37 AM
Pic's??????

Ashley7524
03/21/2005, 03:49 PM
I dont have any pics yet but hopefully by the end of the week I will have some posted.

gath2
03/22/2005, 11:25 AM
Why are you considering removing the lunare wrasse? I am thinking of getting one and am curious.

STACKER
03/22/2005, 12:43 PM
It is a voracious punkass that grabs everyting that even resembles food. It's picked at new polyps but not damages them but I'm converned about adding any critters cuz it will eat, and eat, and eat till it's about to explode Lastnight it ate a $6 peppermint shrimp even after I over fed the SOB. It grabbed it about 1/2 way down the water column, dragged it into the rocks, and came out 5 min later with a bulging gut and antennea hanging out it's mouth. I tried in vain for 2 hrs. to sucker him into a new full of brine and also tried to angle him with a no 5 hook and a hunk of Bay scallop. No such luck! Maybe a harpoon will be next! :)