PDA

View Full Version : Need Top Off System Asap

doody
03/10/2005, 03:05 PM
I'm going to Myrte Beach next Sat. for a week. So I need a top off system quick. Shipping could take too long. So I am trying the Ohio forums. Please do not delet this post.

STACKER
03/10/2005, 03:24 PM
You can build one from a tub/bucket and float valve (toilet section of the hardware store) and some 1/4" plastic tubing. Simple to DIY and won't cost you $100 or more...

Drill the bucket and insert a 1/4 hose x 1/4 mpt fitting (seal with 100% silicon bead in the inside and out to prevent drippage) . attach the float valve to a pieve of acrylic or wood, or whatever and adjust it to proper operating angle/heigth. position the top-off reservoir (bucket) above the tank, fill with RO/DI, check it for proper function. Budda Bing! Or not

doody
03/10/2005, 03:45 PM
Got any "simple" ideas? My tank only uses like a gallon a week. Its only a 20L

ONAGI
03/10/2005, 08:19 PM
what type of system do you have? Do you have a sump, stand and etc?

You could use a container of some sort and make a drip system out of it easy enough. Go to target and find a container that will hold the volume needed and fit your space. $3-$4

Home depot has john guest fittings and 1/4" ice maker tube cheap. Tube is 50" for 3$ or buy it by the foot for probably 15 cents. Drill the container and put a quick connect in the hole with a rubber washer and nylon nut then tighten it down $4. Get a line valve and adjust it to a slow drip to keep the level topped off $6. You could probably use an adjustable air valve from the pet store too that might save a few bucks on the line valve from HD $2-$3.

This is a quick idea but it probably wouldn't cost more than $ 10 or $15

STACKER
03/11/2005, 06:43 AM
Simple idea. Call a friend (trusted friend) ask them to simply add 8 oz. per day from a designated source. Problem solved. I did say "trusted" friend.... :)

doody
03/11/2005, 10:55 AM
I don't trust my friends in my house let alone with my tank.
Yes onagi I have a stand. No sump. I should have thought of the drip method. Thats how I acclimate. Now how to determin the drip rate is the next question?

STACKER
03/11/2005, 11:50 AM
LMFAO... I usta have the same friends..... Could trust 'em with yer life but not yer stuff, yer critters, or yer wife/girlfriend! 2 or three or mine have seen the wrong side of jail cells and the rest are married and brow beaten like me... :)

5 drips = 1 CC. 3785.412 CC's = 1 Gal. 1 Gal evap. per week (7-24 hr. days) = 168 hrs. or 10,080 min. per gal. Therefore, divide the number of drips by 10,080 to get 2.6629 or 2-2/3 drips per min. Right? My math could be off but I'm pretty sure that's right. Might be a tall order getting 3 drips /min.

My drips are from a 1 CC bulb pipette, so your may vary.

ONAGI
03/11/2005, 04:11 PM
check the math but stacker seems to have it calculated out.

STACKER
03/12/2005, 09:26 AM
Just here to help. Even bad advise is free...keep that in mind! :)

ONAGI
03/12/2005, 02:47 PM
Bad advice is usually the mostly readily dispensed type of advice provided. LOL.

It usually goes like this:
Here's what I think you should do... blah, blah , blah. Let me know how that works for you. I just might try it myself then. LOL.

doody
03/12/2005, 10:11 PM
3 drops per minute seems tough to get. I'm useing airline hose. so are the drops different?

ONAGI
03/13/2005, 12:54 AM
They might be. Is that 1/4" or 1/8" hose? If I were you I would go with the smallest diameter hose possible. I think you will have more control on the drip flow with a plastic air valve than a John Guest valve. It's cheaper too.

What would be ideal is one of those valves from an IV system they use in hospitals. It has a wheel that compresses the line to control the drip. You can really dial it in precisely then.

Just time it how long it takes to fill a specific amount in a measuring cup. I calculate that you're using 18.29 ounces per day if you evaporate 1 gallon a week. Thats .75 ounces an hour or .19 ounces every 15 minutes.

You could use a shot glass. They are 1 ounce in volume. Make 4 even marks and time how long to fill it to that line. You could do 8 marks to check it every 7.5 minutes. Would save you time in dialing it in.

HTH,
Omar

STACKER
03/13/2005, 08:45 AM
EWAG...

Edjumuhkaytid Wild Assed Guess, then go from there :)

doody
03/13/2005, 09:10 AM
Well, I just emailed the dude @ californiareefs to see if he would overnight me one of his switches. If he does then I'll be all good. But for now I'll check on the above mentioned. Or if anyone has one for sale near by, let me know.

doody
03/13/2005, 06:59 PM
He agreed to overnight one to me, So I'm all good. Thanks for all the help.