PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem

rmcgary
08/23/2000, 08:11 PM
Okay guys

Several weeks ago I noticed my canary blenny beginning to scratch himself on the rocks and substrate. He showed no visible signs of parasites or fungus. Shortly therafter, the royal gramma began to scratch. Not having a quarantine tank I tried feeding garlic and selcon to the fish. A week ago, the royal gramma began to show white spots but nothing significant. The spots did not discolor. About the sam time the small sailfin tang I had began to show signs of marine ich but did not scratch. Neither did he appear as if he had a significant case of ich, just a few spots primarily on his fins. The water params have been good with the only sore spot being elevated phosphates of .5 mg/l. All else is very good. I figured the fish were somehow stressed. I had a coral beauty which chased the others and ate nibbled at my corals. I took him back to settle things down. Also, I have recently switched to MH lights from NO lighting. I am running the MH 30 min. per day with the intent to begin increasing the lighting time 10 min per day starting next week and continuing until I reach a 10 hr photoperiod. In the meantime, the NO runs the full 10 hr photoperiod.

Finally I noticed the royal gramma had scratched so much he was knocking off some of his scales. So I went and bought a 2 gal quarantine tank. On the advise of LFS I trapped the royal gramma and treated him with formalin. This was 3 days ago. Yesterday, the canary blenny died. :( Today I noticed the sailfin tang died. :( Now I noticed my flame hawk (Clifford), my very favorite fish in the tank is developing the white spots. :( :( :( Should I take him out and treat him with formalin as well? I have noticed the royal gramma is doing much better. Inasmuch as he is alive, he is clearly doing better than the blenny and tang.

Sorry about the long post but I need some help in the worst way.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this or any advise.

Richard

[This message has been edited by rmcgary (edited 08-23-2000).]

billsreef
08/24/2000, 04:49 AM
The idea of treating in a Q tank was on the right track. Just needed to treat all the fish, preferably in a larger size Q tank. IMO for ich I prefer to treat with hyposalinity (1.009-1.010) for 4 weeks or the use of a copper based medication such as Cupramine. To eliminate the parasite from your tank you will need to remove all fish from the tank for 4-6 weeks, I prefer the safer 6, also after this is done remember to Q any new additions for 4-6 weeks.

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos (http://hometown.aol.com/billsreef/)
ICQ 56222784

O'Man
08/26/2000, 09:29 AM
IME stress plays a significant role in outbreaks of ick. How big is your tank? How many fish? How much live rock?

Q-tank and copper work, but the q-tank should be as stress free as possible.