PDA

View Full Version : Plans for 36" x 18" wooden canopy?

Hans
09/24/2000, 04:59 PM
I could buy a hood for $80, but i figure making it myself wouldn't cost half that. It's for a 65 gollon which will eventually house 4 x 96watt Power Compacts. So does anyone know of a website that has descent plans for a 36" long by 18" wide conopy? thanks

Larry M
09/24/2000, 07:09 PM
Hans--there is a link on my site for a light "box" that does not cover the entire top of the tank as a full canopy would. Check it out in the DIY section.

Welcome to the board.

------------------
Larry M

"My Dad could build--or fix--anything. Just give him a hammer, a saw, a piece of wire, and a stick. Then get the hell out of the way."
In response to the question, "Where did you learn how to do that?"

See my tanks at Northern Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/index.htm)

Clyde
09/24/2000, 09:16 PM
I've made several nice hoods so far, aftering seeing a design that I like, no flip, no swings etc.. but its very basic - I will be making up a web page on it.. as a lot of people have asked me to help em on their hoods.

mines very simple.. 7 inch wide pine boards is all I used, and total parts for it was 20.00

all from home depot. (20.00 was for the 75G hood I made last night)

i will follow up with detailed directions.

Clyde
09/25/2000, 01:46 PM
as promised.

built 9/24/2000

3 hours total build time including prep

Supplies used.
3 - 5/8 x 7 - 6 feet long Pine boards at home depot - 3.90 ea (11.70)
2 - 5/8 x 12 - 6 feet long pine boards at home depot - 5.00 (not sure) (10.00)
1 - Bottle of wood glue (on hand)
1 - bag of dowels 1.50

my requirements was 48 1/2 by 18 1/2 inside measurements

Because I wanted the hood to be supported by the tank by means of 'feet'

I should have taken more pictures, but I have one or two picts I will post at the end of this post, and some comments on what else could be done with this.

I have a Precision Marine HOT-1 Hang on back skimmer, so I needed the 18 1/2 inches a bit smaller - so I can still have hood on top and skimmer still hung on back. (which refelects in the pictures)

Now, arrive home - took my 3 pieces of '1x7' boards, ripped the edges a litte bit to make it straight (you could use a jointer or the like) on all 3 boards (which later I only used 2 boards - I have an extra one now)

I also did it on the 12 inch ones also.

now all my boards were squared up

cut my boards up to specifications, which I needed.

I put up 49 by 18 inches inside measurements (I needed room for 48 inch VHO's with end caps and 2 MH's with reflectors.)

doing a dry run, and squaring up.. seems all fit good

next step, is the top, I used a dado blade for my tablesaw, and table guide adjusted to the thickness of the 1x12's (used scrap wood etc)

After thats done, all 4 edges had a dadao, ready for the top.

as you can see in this picture. I would have to fill those ends up with scrap pieces to make it look better, but does not affect overall use, maybe a stray ray of light might peak out.
http://clyde.blackcore.com/new75ghood/hoodsideflash.jpg

Now, I glued edges of boards and squared em up - clamped and I used a staplegun, 1 1/2 inch or 2 I m not sure, stapled it up. and worked on the other end.

After that was done, I went ahead and worked on the top part, put the 'box' aside, and I edged the 12 inch boards, doweled it up and clamped - let it dry for 1 hour - it ll be tacky and it will hold.

Measure the box top, from edge to edge, top to top so on

then cut the 1x12's to size.

Take the newly top and put it inside the edges, some places I had to mallet it down a little, some place had a tiny bow out - this is where a clamp comes in handy, after its all in, I stapled it up.

Now, onto the 'feet'

I decided how high the hood wanted to be off the tank, this one is 3 1/2 inches, I think so I made 3 1/2 inches by 2 inch blocks (I made 6 in all - not 8 I ll explain why)

Put the corner things together, it will become like 2x3 on one side and other side will be like 2 1/2 by 3 becuase the thickness added to the 2 inch block, I used a tablesaw to trim it down to 2x2 all sides.

I picked up some scrap, cut a 1, I guess or maybe 3/4 inch strip of wood, and i wanted 1/2 inch shorter than overall hood, which came to 9 1/2 inches.

I countersunk holes into that 1x9 1/2 stip of wood.. (4 strips, 4 holes each)

Screwed the 1x9 1/2 inch strip inside the hood on each corner, and the corner 2x3 blocks in the front, and 2 - just 2x3 blocks in the back on the sides.

I couldnt have the corner blocks fit on ALL corners, because of my skimmer on the back of the tank, as long its being supported and does not fall off - its good for me.

now extras etc etc its up to you, holes on side for FANS, like you've seen up there...

Then install lights, and LIFT put on top of your tank, and thats it.

read under the picts for some other suggestions..

heres the final picture..

http://clyde.blackcore.com/new75ghood/hoodfrontflash.jpg

inside

http://clyde.blackcore.com/new75ghood/lighthoodinside.jpg

oh yes, drill a 2 inch hole in the back for wiring for fans, lights, etc..

instead of using 1x12 glued - you can easily use a 1/2 inch plywood sheet, cut to size, I couldnt get those 2x4 sheets as I needed almost 50x20 inches, and Id idnt want to buy a whole 4x8 sheet of plywood - and tie it down on my jeep etc.

so far, its great.. my cat jumped on it - passed the test..

anyway this is ONE way to make a hood.. I will be making a modification to this sadly to say, but not a major one..

wife lies down on sofa - the 175W mh bulb reflects off the reflector (boy it does it job) and shines right in the face of her.. so I m gonna rip a 3 inch by lets say maybe 48 inches ? I dont know I have to measure, and put some hinges on itk, and screw it on the front area, so it ll swing up and swing down, preventing light escaping and blinding us while we're watching Cinemax...

P.S. I really like that preview reply, it showed some errors and I fixed em great !!! better than ubb I think

Doug
09/25/2000, 07:00 PM
Hi Clyde,

Very nice work! Excellent instructions too.

Doug