PDA

View Full Version : Taking it all in ~ some comments and ideas about our upcoming meeting and club.

Aquabucket
03/09/2005, 04:08 AM
It looks like we will have plenty to discuss after enjoying time spent gazing around Kevin's fish room and discovering new forms of marine life. I really dig seeing other reefers corals, fish, inverts etc.. especially species and colormorphs that I have never seen before.

I for one am going to be digging every minute of it and Kevin sounds like he is going to enjoy our visit as well.

After I'am pryed away from staring at all the color and motion. I'll be ready to kick back and join a discussion with regard to this ever evolving club we are forming.

This meeting looks like its going to have a nice turnout. I look forward to meeting all of you and hope we have a good time of it.

I know several members feel we need to spend a fair amount of time discussing club matters.

I think our time will be a bit limited because of the nature of the location. I have a feeling there is just going to be too much interest in Kevins fish room and all it inhabitants (at least for me) to spend alot of time there taking on too many subjects with regard to club structure, etc...

Anyways here's some of my thoughts and ideas.

I think we need to concentrate on the basics first.
The intended goal of the originators of this club was to keep things simple for now. Things can change as the club evolves.

What I think we need most at the meetings is a good photographer and a volunteer writer. A tally of members that attended will be part of the writers duties. The writer's review of the meeting and its agenda, a list of those that attended, and some photos from the meeting will then be posted a few days or so after for those who could not attend.

Next up would be a limited set of topics to be discussed at each meeting. These topics can be polled here on RC weeks leading up to the meetings so an agenda is already set. Any member can submit a topic for polling. If a poll yeilds no consensus the host of the meeting will decide what topics to be placed on the agenda.

For instance an agenda at the next meeting could be something like this.
1) Do we want members to contribute dues?
2) Do we need/want our own website?
3) Who will be able to host future meetings?
4) How should we schedule future meetings?

I think these topics would more than enough to contemplate for the day.

These are just a few of the possible topics that could appear on a monthly poll here on RC.

Here are some other possible topics that have been brought up by myself and some of our members.

Should we elect officers?
Do we want a President?
Do we want Tee-Shirts with a nice logo?
How about a frag raffle?
Would we want to schedule a group meeting with WRS?
Are we willing to shell out $$$ for a guest speaker?
Do we want to schedule some road trips?
Can we set-up a car pool system?
Who is having problems or needs help with their tank? ~ actually I think this topic could be part of every meetings agenda.
And last but not least ~ Let's just kick back have a few beers and talk about our reefs.

Well thats all I have to add for now, feel free to add your own topics for discusion or comment on these ideas

Happy reefing!
~Spike

FEEDERFISH
03/09/2005, 05:19 PM
Thats all sounds great, my nomination is at work already...and that beer thing sounds even better

Zombies026
03/09/2005, 05:57 PM
I'm one fer the beer idea...Mmmmm beeeer..LoL...although shirts seem kinda kool...Dues??We r way 2 small to think about that aren't we??

iceman5
03/09/2005, 10:21 PM
every thing sounds good to me mostly the beer part! lol i also like the part about helping some of the newbies!!! thats me! keep up the good work spike!can't wait for the next meeting!

daddavis1
03/10/2005, 04:03 PM
Great Ideas I'm sorry I wont be able to make the meeting though. Looking foreward to hearing about the discusion.

Dues should be part of the deal if we are requiring administrative activities to be completed or if speakers are to be brought in. Then part of the Dues goes to pay for that service. If we are fine with "when I get around to it" then no dues. Just a thought

z28cam
03/10/2005, 05:29 PM
If there is going to be a club website or anything else that costs money to keep up. Then thats where dues/donations would come in handy.

Frag raffles would be fun.

Road trips would also be fun. Down here in chicago there are alot of stores to hit as well as a stroll through the Shed Aquarium.

And just as a side note... the IMAC conference in chicago is June 24, 25 and 26th, in Chicago at the Crowne Plaza O’Hare. Haven't gone to one yet but will be going this year. IMAC (http://theimac.org/index.html)

z28cam
03/10/2005, 06:10 PM
Oh yeah I forgot....

I also Have a Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR Camera. If you guys want me to bring it the meetings for pictures I can.

jmkarcz
03/10/2005, 09:14 PM
Spike is such a take charge kinda guy. Have you printed signs... I'll put one in my front yard. "SPIKE FOR LEADER!"

Really liking the Chicago trip idea...

J

Aquabucket
03/11/2005, 01:53 AM
Joe, Definately bring your camera.

It would be nice to post pics after every club meeting to help peek interest with regard to future members.

So far we have over 1000 posts ~ almost half as much as WRS and they have been established for much longer.

I don't think we need a website yet. If you look at the WRS website there is little activity and frag trades and availability are often out of date.

By keeping things organized here we have a better chance at recruiting new members and maintaining a higher interactivity rate among current members.

Having a website with another forum may water things down a bit.

aberg12012
03/11/2005, 02:22 AM
And last but not least ~ Let's just kick back have a few beers and talk about our reefs.

I'll drink to that...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/berg12012/New%20Tank%20Project/InWallTank2005-03-11_005.jpg

Reef tanks and beer... mmmmm

Aquabucket
03/11/2005, 05:00 AM
http://www.nitromusk.com/Stolen_Beer.jpg

#@*bUrP&%! :beer: