PDA

View Full Version : Attaching frags

daywn
03/08/2005, 09:42 PM
What do you use to attach frags to pieces of rubble?
Thanks Paul

dgasmd
03/08/2005, 09:50 PM
Superglue gel only. I have never used putty as many people do. This has worked very well for me for years.

LawnTodd
Plain old super glue. Sometimes I drill a small gully in the rock to fit the frag, fill the hole with super glue and stick the frag in the hole.
Todd

Ludwigia73
Depends on the frag. You can use superglue gel for SPS or zoos, rubberbands for tougher softies, 2 part epoxy for harder corals with larger bases, and just plain friction for some. Friction meaning like my sinularia, take a plug and carve a notch across it. Shove the base down into the notch, and rubberband across it. What are you trying to attach, I'm sure we can give you some ideas.

daywn
03/08/2005, 09:56 PM
I got some cap frags and some digi frags that i need to attach to piece's of rock.

tooshay
03/09/2005, 06:33 AM
I use superglue gel to attach the frags to a small piece of rubble out of the tank, then use a pinch of an epoxy stick to attach the rubble to the LR in the tank. It has worked great for me!

Bocaswim
03/09/2005, 08:33 AM
Not all superglue gels are created equal, I have tried them all and swear by loctite brand-you can get it at some Home Depot's. It has an applicatior built in so you use less glue, and there is less mess, less chance of glueing your fingers or lips together. Don't ask. :)

Also give the glue one or two seconds to set up and get tacky then twist the frag slightly similar to glueing PVC. I have very good luck with this method when glueing directly underwater onto my base rock structure.

For Monti caps I have a special technique which involves molding a small support ledge out of epoxy and placing the ledge onto the side of the live rock in the water to harden, once it hardens then I use superglue to attach the cap frag on top of it. This way when it grows out it forms an overhang or ledge off the side of the rocks and looks really cool.

HTH

GregM779
03/09/2005, 08:40 AM
I use super glue gel also, as per Gayle's advice I tried the Home Depot brand and also like it. If your glueing mushrooms or zoos or yumas I would not use the gel though unless it attached to some piece of rock. All of those that I have glued have come off, I think it actually irritates them enough to rip part of their foot off and escape.
When I glue stuff I do it out of the tank and depanding on the coral let it dry 15-45mins before putting it back in.

Ludwigia73
03/09/2005, 08:58 AM
Great idea, bocaswim!