PDA

View Full Version : Nano???

Willie_6
03/08/2005, 08:08 PM
:confused: I used to think a nano is just a small fish tank, now
I don't know to think. I have seen nano lr and other nano specific things....so what gives???

Sugar Magnolia
03/08/2005, 08:24 PM
What exactly are you asking?

Willie_6
03/08/2005, 08:57 PM
Is a nano, just a small tank? Why a nano vs. a regular tan? Is it just a less expensive way to operate a tank?

skipm
03/08/2005, 09:06 PM
Nano generally refers to a tank of 20 gallons or less. Others may have other definitions but I won't argue that point in this post. The reference you have seen for nano LR are referring to pieces that would complement a small tank (i.e. softball size pieces and smaller).
The main draw to setting up a nano would be either the desire to set up an maintain a much smaller than normal ecosystem or the fact that they are more portable (can be moved like in the case of a college student) and are generally alot cheaper to set up and operate. HTH, Skip
PS You may see other terms like pico, microreef, etc. these terms are also referring to nanos. A pico tank is usually referring to a nano that is under 2 1/2 gallons.

Jimsmowen
03/09/2005, 03:19 AM
I would classify 30g and under nano only because alot of them are posted here :D

The main feature of a nano (In my opinion) is the fact that you pay more attention to the smaller organisims! its amazing how much more you notice on your lr and corals in a small tank than you would in a larger tank.

Willie_6
03/09/2005, 09:14 AM
I love the concept of them, just wasn't sure if I was really understanding their purpose. I have seen them sold in a completes set. Everything from LS to filters to lighting is sold with them. Are these units generally good set ups? In other words is the filters, lights that come with them a good quality? I would love one for my office, but not sure is I want to go through the whole upgrade everything again. Definitely like the concept of paying once and your done.

Sugar Magnolia
03/09/2005, 09:17 AM
IMO, the JBJ Nano Cube DX would be the only one I'd even consider getting. The others just don't have enough light. And even then you're pretty limited as far as corals go with the DX model. CPR just came out with a 6 gallon cube that looks interesting, but again...the lighting just isn't sufficient.

Willie_6
03/09/2005, 09:37 AM
I'm intriqued....If lighting is the only issue, that wouldn't be too bad. I just don't want to get into, buying a protein skimmer, a wet dry, upgrade lights, get a RO unit. I have to do that with my tank now and that's fine, but don't know if I would do it again. I already need to take out a second mortgage for the tank I have.:(

HaKs310
03/09/2005, 06:49 PM
Might want to check out.
http://www.nanocustoms.com/catalog/