PDA

View Full Version : My Ultimate Disaster

Carl_in_Florida
03/07/2005, 10:05 PM
I had just gotten my custom drilled 10AGA really dialed in when the hurricanes hit and crashed my system. I have been working back since then.

I was having a little problem with my custom overflow today. I had recently rotated the tank and stand. The tank was not not completely level and this was causing a little overflow issue. I tried to lean the stand back a little so i could put a shim under one corner when i heard a loud POP.

I thought it was the wood creaking until I head the sound of water rushing out of the tank and onto the floor. I immediately knew that the tank had cracked.

Panicked, I got a tupperware bin and siphoned all the remaining water, threw the clown in the fuge and tried to get the rock in a safe place.

I tried to get all the corals seperate from the rock so I could keep them safe, I am not sure I got them all.

Here is a pic of my tank about a week ago before I rearranged it.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/carl_in_florida/posted/PICT0662.jpg

I just came home today and I told my wife, "I am just starting to like the looks of this tank for the first time since the hurricanes."

Two hours later, disaster.

Here is a picture of the nasty crack.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/carl_in_florida/posted/tankcrash1.jpg

Notice the remnants of xenia that had grown on the overflow.

Here is the current setup.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/carl_in_florida/posted/tankcrash2.jpg

I am really not sure what I am going to do. I don't have a lot of money to throw into this thing. I don't have a dremmel to redrill a tank and I am not sure I would want to redrill. I have to figure a way to keep everything alive and at the same time keep my kids out of the tank. I was looking at overflows but I can't seem to find a small one anywhere.

Just thought I would share.

Carl

phenom5
03/07/2005, 10:29 PM
Carl...that really sucks.:sad1: that tank was looking great. i guess now wouldn't be the best time to ask you about that custom overflow...looks very interesting.

i would say get another 10g, since their so cheap...maybe get 2. set one up and bypass the fuge for now, at least that way you can get your LR, corals, and the clown somewhere for the time being, then use the other 10g to figure out a way to get your setup back to the way it was. i know you said you don't want to throw a lot of money into it, but you could pick up 2 10g's for pretty cheap, and dremels don't cost that much...sorry i can't be more help then that, and sorry to hear about your disaster.

best of luck.

lgoins
03/07/2005, 10:48 PM
sorry for your loss, hope things get better for you

fred says
03/07/2005, 11:37 PM
Very sorry for your loss. In the end, everything will be better then before. Just think, now you can make it better, you can do all of the things that you ever really wanted to do, but couldn't because the tank was setup. Don't look at this as a loss, look at it as a new beginning.

sellout007
03/08/2005, 12:25 AM
You could always get one made of Acrylic, they are easier to drill and stronger then glass. You can also add in a custom over flow and all that junk.

Carl_in_Florida
03/08/2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by phenom5
Carl...that really sucks.:sad1: that tank was looking great. i guess now wouldn't be the best time to ask you about that custom overflow...looks very interesting.

i would say get another 10g, since their so cheap...maybe get 2. set one up and bypass the fuge for now, at least that way you can get your LR, corals, and the clown somewhere for the time being, then use the other 10g to figure out a way to get your setup back to the way it was. i know you said you don't want to throw a lot of money into it, but you could pick up 2 10g's for pretty cheap, and dremels don't cost that much...sorry i can't be more help then that, and sorry to hear about your disaster.

best of luck.

I built the overflow to save money. The downside is that you cannot adjust the level. you can see more pics on my website.

I like the idea of getting 2 tanks. I may just figure a way to get my lights over the tupperware thing.
One of the big issues is keeping the kids out of the tank.

Thanks for the kind words.

Carl

Carl_in_Florida
03/08/2005, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by lgoins
sorry for your loss, hope things get better for you

[i]homer227[i]

Very sorry for your loss. In the end, everything will be better then before. Just think, now you can make it better, you can do all of the things that you ever really wanted to do, but couldn't because the tank was setup. Don't look at this as a loss, look at it as a new beginning.

Thanks. I just need to figure out how i will pay for it. I am broke as a joke right now. "Come on home equity line!"

Carl

Carl_in_Florida
03/08/2005, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by sellout007
You could always get one made of Acrylic, they are easier to drill and stronger then glass. You can also add in a custom over flow and all that junk.

Been there. I will avoid acrylic at all costs. The scratching drives me crazy.

Here is where I am at.

I have 2 priorities:
1. Keep my stuff alive. I think I am going to set up the tupperware somewhere safe from the kids and get some light over it. this will buy me some time.

2. Either find an inexpensive overflow or borrow a dremmel so I can drill another tank.

I did have some issues with my tank, like lack of flow. I think I would like to add a small closed loop or something like that. I will just have to wait and see what the funds are like.

Thanks for all the kind words.

Carl

Sugar Magnolia
03/08/2005, 02:17 PM
Aw man Carl..that really sucks. Stick the tub up on a couter in the kitchen. Unsightly? Yes, but at least the kids won't be sticking their hands in there. I used to keep a 5 gallon bucket on my kithen counter for cycling live rock. It lived there for about 6 months or so. :D

You ought to see if you can find someone with a dremel and drill the tank yourself. I'm sure someone will lend you one.

Good luck witht he new tank!!

Carl_in_Florida
03/08/2005, 02:33 PM
Thanks suge

My wife is not going to be excited about the prospect of a temp tank on the counter but my daughter is only 18 months and loves the idea of sticking her hands in the tank. You know, i could even tap the side of the tank for the fuge action.

I am now leaning toward keeping the temp setup for a time while I get another together. the big obsticle is the overflow. I am not excited about the one I used before and need to figure out something different.

If you have any ideas let me know.

Carl

Agu
03/08/2005, 04:39 PM
Carl, bummer about the crack :( .

I have a drilled ten gallon and am always very careful around the plumbing. I still think one day I'll crack my tank too, they're just so thin.

Here's how I did my overflow,

http://montipora.com/agu/imagepages/P1010033.htm

Had the same problem, no way to adjust the height. Next time it'll be an overflow box with the durso in the box (and lower in the tank)

Good Luck,

Agu

Carl_in_Florida
03/08/2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the infor Agu. I actually was surfing your site today to see how you did it.

I am no acrylic fabricator so making a box is just out of the question.

I am leaning toward the notched 6" pipe split in two and glued to the side. Again the problem remains that you cannot adjust the height.

What do you think?

Carl

Gem Tang Rider
03/08/2005, 05:44 PM
Carl,
Have you thought about making your own tank. Those 10gal store tanks are so thin. If DIY is not an option, contact www.glasscages.com they could make you a tank, but out of thicker glass, & they could drill it for you. I made my own tank 12"x12"x21" tall. I made a frame for it like AGA uses, but out of acrylic. You could take the plastic frame off your old tank & see if you could use a thicker glass.

sellout007
03/08/2005, 10:54 PM
Ill gladly make an overflow out of acrylic if you walk me through what you want. Just pay straight up costs and shipping.

Carl_in_Florida
03/08/2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by sellout007
Ill gladly make an overflow out of acrylic if you walk me through what you want. Just pay straight up costs and shipping.

PM Sent

Carl_in_Florida
03/08/2005, 11:12 PM
So I rigged up a system with the container on a table that looks like it is about to run out of gas. I tapped the side and have it running to the fuge.
My fish are freaked out. Just trying to figure out what I am gonna do.
I will post some pictures in a little.

Carl

Carl_in_Florida
03/08/2005, 11:27 PM
Here is the temporary setup. I put the tub on a little table that is begging for relief. I turned the stand around and have the light turned around to point into the tank.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/carl_in_florida/posted/tempsetup.jpg

I had to make another mess and try to fish out all the frags and put them i a place where they might live.

I really should not have moved the sand. That was a really bad idea. It is making a mess. Lesson learned I guess.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/carl_in_florida/posted/tempsetup1.jpg

Well, as i plot along I ill keep everyone updated.

Pray for me,

carl

Cowman345
03/09/2005, 03:16 AM
Sorry for your loss... this sort of thing happened to me a couple years ago... Just hang in there and keep a close eye on your parameters. Don't let the ammonia spike because of any dead stuff (xenia?).

-dave-

Sugar Magnolia
03/09/2005, 08:56 AM
I agree...keep a close on eye on the water params. Moving the sand bed may cause a mini cycle.

moggyhill
03/09/2005, 09:12 AM
hey Carl, I am in Port St Lucie and have a 12 gallon eclipse 1 I can let you have for a future trade of frags when you have them. You will have to let me know and come and get it.
Mindy

Carl_in_Florida
03/09/2005, 09:33 AM
Thanks mindy. I will let you know.

One of the big reasons I wanted to keep the sumpfugium hooked up is to guard agains that. Fortunately I only keep sand for decoration so there was not that much in the tank.

I looked at the tank this morning and the water is crystal clear and all looks ok (except the table that it is on).

I am still brainstorming about what to do next.

Carl

xchrisjb
03/09/2005, 01:52 PM
Good luck salvaging your tank. I really feel for you.

A while back I was toying with the idea of drilling a 10g of my own, but decided against it. I managed to find an AGA 15g that'll either be my new nano or a sump for my 37g. Either way, the glass used on the 15g is so much thicker than the standard 10.

Anyways ... Good luck.

Carl_in_Florida
03/09/2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by xchrisjb
Good luck salvaging your tank. I really feel for you.

A while back I was toying with the idea of drilling a 10g of my own, but decided against it. I managed to find an AGA 15g that'll either be my new nano or a sump for my 37g. Either way, the glass used on the 15g is so much thicker than the standard 10.

Anyways ... Good luck.

I actually was leaning toward getting a 15. I am liking it.

Carl

sellout007
03/09/2005, 01:59 PM
*laughs*

There ya go!!

If it breaks, just go BIGGER!

O)

Carl_in_Florida
03/09/2005, 02:01 PM
isn't that how it works?

Carl

mightymouse
03/09/2005, 04:27 PM
it sure is lol good luck man and sorry to hear about your loss

Carl_in_Florida
03/09/2005, 05:53 PM
Just came back from the lfs. They want $8 for a 10AGA and $30 for a 15 tall AGA.

Lookin like another 10.

Carl

Agu
03/09/2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Carl_in_Florida
Just came back from the lfs. They want $8 for a 10AGA and $30 for a 15 tall AGA.

Lookin like another 10.

Carl

Isn't that the way it goes ?

:lol: ,

Agu

Carl_in_Florida
03/10/2005, 09:33 AM
Well, i did a water test last night and I got the big 0 on the nitrates. Also my little clown really seems to be enjoying the extra room to swim in. And the table has not collapsed yet.
You gotta focus on the positives.

Carl

moggyhill
03/10/2005, 09:47 AM
good luck

Carl_in_Florida
03/10/2005, 09:56 AM
thanks

loyalty
03/10/2005, 02:27 PM
ouch that sucks man. that custom overflow is ingenious though

Carl_in_Florida
03/10/2005, 04:11 PM
Thanks,
I think it looks better than it works. I mean it is nice and quiet but it is impossible to control the level in the tank.
I am gonna try something else this time.
Maybe an external overflow.

Carl

banditfl
03/10/2005, 05:41 PM
Sorry to see your disaster. I saw a good Idea for supportting a drilled tank. I actually tried this on my new grow out system I am building. Silicon some acrylic to the back side (or both sides if your trust it will seal) to give extra thickness and support around the hole. I will post a photo of what I did when I snap one.

Sugar Magnolia
03/10/2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Carl_in_Florida

Lookin like another 10.

Carl

Sheesh, did you check anywhere else? Petsmart and that other place - Pet**? :D That's nuts to increase the price that much for 5 measly extra gallons.

I have that exact same card table that you have. Rickety doens't even begin to describe it. Can't you put that up on a counter? Is Mrs. Carl giving you a hard time about that? IMO...that table is another disaster waiting to happen.

Carl_in_Florida
03/10/2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Sugar Magnolia
Sheesh, did you check anywhere else? Petsmart and that other place - Pet**? :D That's nuts to increase the price that much for 5 measly extra gallons.

I have that exact same card table that you have. Rickety doens't even begin to describe it. Can't you put that up on a counter? Is Mrs. Carl giving you a hard time about that? IMO...that table is another disaster waiting to happen.

I feel the same way. Mrs Carl definately wants that monstrosity done with. I am resolved to do something this weekend.

I will try another pet store. Either way I have to do something. I have not located a small overflow so it looks like its time to borrow a dremmel.

carl

Cowman345
03/11/2005, 01:13 AM
I've been following along and I'm thrilled that you're having success... keep at it! Recovering from a tragedy like this is indeed something to be proud of.

:rollface:

smontanus
03/11/2005, 01:53 AM
Sorry for your loss Carl. I thought I'd offer some info I found, I was in a similar situation. I researched drilling tanks a great deal, and actually destroyed 2 10aga's before I finally gave up. I talked to someone in the glass biz and they told me drilling tempered glass is a bad idea, further research revealed that most smaller aquariums are tempered, it can be done, obviously, just not a good idea. I hope this is helpful. I have a diamond core drill bit I'd be happy to send you. I went with acrylic, hmmmm....I'm starting to see your point about scratching. Good luck.

Cowman345
03/11/2005, 03:37 AM
FWIW, I went to have a 20 tall drilled and they told me I was crazy at the glass company... I had to settle for drilling the side as opposed to the bottom.

But seriously... with a disaster such as this, would you really consider doing it again?

-dave-

phenom5
03/11/2005, 10:42 AM
hey carl,
how are things going?

Lookin like another 10.

that sounds about right...10g are just a standard size, they make a ton of them, thats why they're cheaper...probably find the same thing where ever you go.

just seeing how things are going...i'd loan you my dremel if we didn't live on opposite ends of the country...

Carl_in_Florida
03/11/2005, 10:44 AM
thanks. i am really leaning toward an external overflow. I think for the effort it is the best solution. Work has gotten really busy and I would delay this whole thing if it were not for the tale of death that the tub is on. I have nightmares of that thing collapsing.
Carl

Gem Tang Rider
03/11/2005, 10:09 PM
Seriously, spend the extra money on a tank that has the strength to be drilled. I did't want to say it first, but your card table is another disaster waiting to happen. You have invested lots of your time & energy, do it right the next time.

Carl_in_Florida
03/11/2005, 10:15 PM
The tank broke when i tried to lift up one corner of the stand to shim it. That uneven pressure broke it. I used to slide the stand around to get behind it all the time. The problem came with the lifting.
I am a budget reefer. I ruled out a closed loop on my next one becasue i did not want to pay for the bulkheads.
No ladies and gentlemen, I am going with a 10 once again, but this time there will be more drilling.
I am starting to get excited.

CArl

distantfire
03/13/2005, 02:20 PM
On october 21 my 18 year old niece was killed in a car accident three blocks away from her home in cabot arkansaw. So my brothers&sisters& I piled into a rented ford explore and drove down to cabot for her funeral. On the mourning of her funeral, my wife called me and told me that we were homeless. Because someone set our apartment building on fire. I lost my 55 and 20gal all glass aquariums. There was 60,000 dollars worth of damage done to the building, and they still haven't caught the person who set the fire. This month for my birthday I bought myself a 15gal. long all glass aquarium. And i'm going to make a sump/fuge out of a 10gal. for it .

banditfl
03/13/2005, 02:33 PM

Carl_in_Florida
03/13/2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by distantfire
On october 21 my 18 year old niece was killed in a car accident three blocks away from her home in cabot arkansaw. So my brothers&sisters& I piled into a rented ford explore and drove down to cabot for her funeral. On the mourning of her funeral, my wife called me and told me that we were homeless. Because someone set our apartment building on fire. I lost my 55 and 20gal all glass aquariums. There was 60,000 dollars worth of damage done to the building, and they still haven't caught the person who set the fire. This month for my birthday I bought myself a 15gal. long all glass aquarium. And i'm going to make a sump/fuge out of a 10gal. for it .

That really sucks. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Though I titled this thread "my ultimate disaster" I am aware that this is still just a fish tank. I have a great marriage and i love my kids. We are healthy and happy. I am blessed beyond measure.

Carl

Carl_in_Florida
03/13/2005, 09:26 PM
Update

I have restarted the rebuild here

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=549484

Wish me luck.

Carl