PDA

View Full Version : DIY hood-trim-brace...

rhwimmers
09/02/2000, 07:03 PM
Hello all, i am going to be building a new brace that fits around the top of the trim part(55 gallon tank) there is only the one plastic brace in the middle, and it has snapped a few times, epoxy wont work...well i am making this on top of the other, with 3 braces, instead of 1, out of mahogony..what do I use to coat the wood? Do i need to use a plastic type of thing, or poly urathane it a few hundred coats? Anyone see a problem with doing this? and as soon as its done, i will be building a DIY hood with 6 4' GE ultra bulbs....on top of the brace..
thanks for any input or ideas
thanks
Ross

Snailman
09/03/2000, 10:15 AM
Our Ocenaic tank has a piece of glass for a center brace and it works very well. I have heard so many stories about the center brace breaking on the AGA tanks that I am going to put a glass center brace on an AGA 120 that I am setting up. You can go to a glass shop and get them to cut a piece for you and grind the sharp edges off of it so you don't get cut when you reach in your tank. You can glue it in with normal aquarium goo.

Afishianado
09/03/2000, 04:09 PM
It's a bit pricy but WEST SYSTEM is the absolute best for sealing wood against water. My uncle is completely refurbishing his 45 foot wooden yacht and uses it. Also I know of people who have used it when bulding huge tanks and even ponds with plywood. HTH

Chris

------------------
check out my tank here: http://www.geocities.com/cmrehder