PDA

View Full Version : kalkwasser

nanoreef5
03/07/2005, 06:29 PM
i have a 5 gallon nano...how much and how often should i add to my tank?....should i even add kalkwasser?...i need something to bring the calcium up, my live rock all came covered in coraline but its dying off because my calcium is too low..any help is appeciated

Maxxumless
03/07/2005, 09:47 PM
How old is your tank? It is common for new setups for coralline to die back some. Light also plays a role in coralline growth. High phosphates can also stunt the growth of coralline too. As for using any additives in such a small tank, regular weekly water changes should be more than adequate for calcium replenishment.

Now, if you are really interested in raising calcium higher than the salt you use mixes to, then I would personally use a two part additive instead of Kalk. Kalk is dangerous enough in larger tanks (pH), in nanos the chances of overdosing or going too fast is likely.

nanoreef5
03/07/2005, 09:59 PM
um, apox, 3 months, i started it late december...after x mas...well, i do weekly water changes, and when i test my calcium level, its usually only in the high 300's to low 400's depending on how long its been since the last water change...i've read it needs to be higher for coraline growth

Stevan
03/07/2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Maxxumless
How old is your tank? It is common for new setups for coralline to die back some. Light also plays a role in coralline growth. High phosphates can also stunt the growth of coralline too. As for using any additives in such a small tank, regular weekly water changes should be more than adequate for calcium replenishment.

Now, if you are really interested in raising calcium higher than the salt you use mixes to, then I would personally use a two part additive instead of Kalk. Kalk is dangerous enough in larger tanks (pH), in nanos the chances of overdosing or going too fast is likely.

Yup...ya don't need it. Ya don't want it. Use a 2 part. Much easier and safer.

Agu
03/09/2005, 08:10 PM
At the risk of shameless self promotion.....

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/nftt/index.htm

Since you have to top off anyway why not drip kalk. IME the risk and danger of kalk is over rated., esp since it not only raises ca but maintains alk and pH as well.

Agu

skipm
03/10/2005, 12:29 PM
If your calcim level is in the low 400s then you don't need to add any more. If you want to add something though I have used and really like the 2 part additives. B ionic is the one I have used the most and liked it quite well. I am about to order some for my nano that I am going to start adding corals to in the next week or so. HTH, Skip

kabal2
03/16/2005, 02:24 PM
i dont think you have to dose but if you want to you can do it and as often as you want is just up to you, but with water changes you will get plenny of elements in your water