PDA

View Full Version : T.Maxima and sand ?s

newkie
01/03/2002, 05:29 PM
http://www.livinglava.com/Corals_Gallery/tmaxima_10-01.jpg

Hi, I've had this T.Maxima for about 2 months. Initially I tried to place it in the rockwork but it kept jumping so finally I left it on the sand. Its semi-buried and tilted a bit towards the glass. The clam is about 18" below a 250W MH (dual), supplemented by 4VHOs.

I have a few of questions:
1) Based on the attached picture do you think the clam is expanding enough? A friend of mine thought that it wasn't opened enough.

2) Should I try to attatch the clam to a piece of small rock even if I leave it in the sand or is it safe for the bysal gland to be exposed?

3) Can the clam be semi-buried as long as one side is unobstructed or should he be resting fully on top of the sand? FWIW he was originally in an indentation left by a removed rock and has only been buried by the natural shifting of sand in the current (not me packing him in).

Thanks for the help!

jim norris
01/03/2002, 08:24 PM
Hello,
Beautiful clam! I think your should get him out of the sand. Put a rock under him right were he is, let him attached then you can move him up! If the sand is stirred up this a be very harmful to a Max.