PDA

View Full Version : aquastik and mod #3 for seaclone skimmer

JCdrummer
08/02/2000, 01:29 PM
I know that this topic is old and people are tired of seeing it, but I just came across the DIY for the SeaClone and had a question about making mod 3 permanent.

"3) Seal the base of the collection cup to the top of the intermediate tube."

I spent a few hours looking around Home Depot for anything that could be used as an o-ring/gasket/whatever to seal these two pieces together. I found nothing. I am thinking of using aquastik and permanently sealing these together. Would there ever be a reason for me to separate these two again? Would the aquastik route make this mod work?

I am just trying to get more life out of this thing. I plan to shorten the innermost tube and I plan to put in an airstone through the top and only use the maxijet for water flow. Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,

David

JCdrummer
08/02/2000, 11:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Afishianado:
if you must ...how about regular silicone. you could peel it off again later if you had to.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris,

Thanks for the idea. I may try silicone to make up the difference with the gasket substitutes that I find.

- David

Afishianado
08/03/2000, 07:12 AM
I have done alot of DIY skimmers, my opinion is whenever you can avoid making something permanent, do so. cleaning and/or modifying it again later gets difficult when you glue stuff. if you must ...how about regular silicone. you could peel it off again later if you had to.

Chris

------------------
check out my tank here: http://www.geocities.com/cmrehder

NorthCoast
08/04/2000, 08:58 PM
Divid,

At HD, in the plumbing section, you should be able to find where they keep misc. rubber washers. The washers are in small individual bins. I had to ask for assistance the first time... :)

http://ncoastreef.homestead.com/files/P306031.jpg

The size I used was 1-13/16" dia. x 1/8".

I also extended the center tube of the collection cup downward by 1/2"...

HTH,
NorthCoast

JCdrummer
08/07/2000, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the o-ring dimensions. I was looking for larger ones (the DIY mentioned cutting down a toilet tank gasket - but those are 2-1/4" not 2" so they don't fit - at least the ones I found).

My latest attempt was to take surgical grade air tubing and cut a length that is a little larger than needed to make a complete ring inside the intermediate tube. I then passed both ends of the tube through a candle flame to melt them and attached the two ends. I made a few of them while I was trying to get the correct length. I have stacked three of these right now on top of each other so that the seals (which have a gap) are not on top of each other as to provide a better seal. Note that these are too thick to seal between the bottom of the collection tube and the intermediate tube, but it appears to block the gap found between the two. I won't know until I try it (which may be a while).

I am considering the extention of the collection tube, but all I find at HD is 10 foot pieces (which is dirt cheap) when all I need is an inch. I may go beg for a scrap piece when I go look for the gasket.

I had a lot of fun this weekend trying to cut down the center tube with a Dremel (wound up taking out the tube and cut it, and it did chip ever so slightly at the end even with hot water). I put the 3" tube back in with aquarium sealant (I didn't see mention in the DIY on how to reconnect it) and will go back and put another bead around it to be sure.

I lowered the innermost tube inside the collection cup and drilled a hole on top of the collection cup for an airstone. Is there any particular way you place the stone in the skimmer?

I also had a lot of fun cutting down reef rock/live rock, but I will save that for another post.

Thanks for the input,

David