PDA

View Full Version : clam babbies?

kmerchant
03/05/2005, 09:14 PM
I don't have a camera, or I'd love to post a picture of my clam and what looks like his baby. I bought a clam a couple weeks ago, and put him in my 24g Nano. He's done well it seems, but the other day, I noticed him on his side, but still open. I picked him up to move him upright, and noticed a small clam, about 1/8 his size dangling from the bottom (the small one was under him under the live sand). Do clams propogate in this manner? Do I need to do anything to help the small clam?

Thanks

cj_basser
03/05/2005, 09:20 PM
you get better results in the Trinidad Clam forum.

Jovreefer
03/05/2005, 09:24 PM
You should post this in the clam forum.

But clams dont bud off new babies. They release eggs and sperm in the water and they free float to an area to attach. I'm by far no expert but from what I've read, baby clams do not depend on light for survival, they depend on feeding out of the water. phytoplankton I believe, most people put them in a separate bucket to feed the babies. Again the clam forum can give you exact things to do. :) good luck

The Shrimp X
03/06/2005, 12:33 AM
Please post a pic!!!! If this is indeed the birth of a clam (dont get your hopes up) then we need to know!!!It will be a first!!

Gatorfan
03/06/2005, 03:29 PM
Baby clams go through a free floating larval stage, that's definately not 'it's' baby... I guess there is a slight possibility that it could've been attached to the bigger clam from the farm and went unnoticed...

CPT. MURPHY
03/06/2005, 07:59 PM
can you borrow a camera? I would love to see this. :)

fred says
03/06/2005, 08:31 PM
are you sure that it isn't a muscle? http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=532070

kmerchant
03/07/2005, 01:01 AM
I pulled the clam up today, and it has two very small almost transperant tubes from the bottom of the clam to the smaller clam shell. It definitely looks like a clam shell, not a muscle. It is slightly open, but can't tell if there's anything inside. I tried bumping the smaller clam loose, but those little tubes are holding onto it very tight.

Sugar Magnolia
03/07/2005, 09:59 AM
Those little tubes are the clam's byssal thread which is what it uses to attach itself.

mightymouse
03/07/2005, 03:50 PM
wow thats really cool keep us updated

fred says
03/07/2005, 07:04 PM
congrats... pics!