PDA

View Full Version : testing circuit load

redpyro
03/05/2005, 01:02 PM
I am now considering getting a 24 gallon cube. I have an older house so my electrical circuits have load issues. Its not terrible but i cant run the bathroom heater on full blast with a hair dryer..that sort of thing. Does anyone know the amp or wattage use of a 24 gallon cube?

And can i test the corcuit i plan to use by loading using the following example.

Lets say the cube uses 400 watts with lights on and heater and pump running. Can i plug in the hair dryer to that plug and turn it on seeing it uses like 700 watts and see if it blows a fuse? I am not going to buy if i can not use it without blowing a fuse every 10 minutes.

Thanks

________

Slicktrax
03/05/2005, 03:28 PM
circuits will blow based on how many amps are used. the formula is Amps = Watts/Volts. Step one is check your circuit breaker for the the amp rating of the particular outlet you want to use. Step 2 add up everything currently connected to that circuit (lights, tv, etc.) Take the total watts used on that circuit and divide by 110 volts and that will give you amps. If that is less than the circuit breaker, you will be ok. In your example, the 400 watts used by the cube would mean the tank will pull 3.6 amps. the hair dryer would pull 6.4 amps. hope this helps

Absint Reefer
03/05/2005, 11:51 PM
where you going to get your cube at if you get one