PDA

View Full Version : DIY ground plane for VHO dimmer

RobertK
07/11/2000, 09:27 PM
Hi Reefers!
I made one with 1.5" foil tape on the back of the bulbs and jumper wires between the bulbs held on with more foil tape, as well as a wire from bulb #1 to ground. The problem is that the foil tape that holds the wires in place doesn't do a good enough job of holding the wires down; they keep popping out from under the tape. Any ideas how to anchor the ground wires to the foil tape on the back of the bulbs?
Thanks,
Robert
P.S. Also, is mylar tape the same as the foil tape you get at HD? I heard you were supposed to use mylar tape for this but couldn't find it anywhere.

Larry M
07/11/2000, 09:33 PM
Robert--That tape you refer to is available in the ductwork section of HDepot, just ask for the shiny metal stuff--great tape. :)

------------------
Larry M

Visit Reef Stores.com (http://63.75.34.139/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi?) The liaison between hobbyists and on-line retailers.

See my tanks at Northern Reef (http://www.reefcentral.com/northernreef/index.htm)

RobertK
07/12/2000, 08:22 AM
Hi Larry,
Yes, that is the tape I am using. But it didn't say mylar on it anywhere so I'm wondering if I got the same tape that champion sells with their $34 ground plane kit.
Robert

Snailman
07/13/2000, 08:07 PM
The foil duct tape is not mylar but it should work. I person posted to another BB that they had used this tape and then used aligator clips to hook to it for the ground wires. :) You will need to hook the wire to the top of the tape becuase if you put it under the tape it will be insulated by the adhesive on the back of the tape. RF sheilding tape that has conductive adhesive is real expensive. You may be able to get the mylar tape at a craft store. The metalized ballons that are real tuff are made out of mylar. I have a real problem paying $34 for some tape and wire that you are going to have to replace every time you replace the lamps. Please let us know how it all works out.

RobertK
07/15/2000, 09:33 PM
Thanks, Snailman :)
I'll try the alligator clips. Some time ago someone posted a link to a place that sold mylar tape. Wish I could find it
RK

Steve Richardson
07/17/2000, 08:33 AM
I looked for mylar initially too, but decided it wasnt what I wanted.

The mylar 'tapes' I found were expensive, frequently did not have adhesive, and most of all, were not suggested for high temps. I felt better with the foil tape, which will work quite well (better than mylar, I would guess) for grounding.

Its easy to use, & cheap. Just cut is lengthwise so its only an inch across, and tape it to the top of the bulb where the internal reflector is.

-Steve

RobertK
07/25/2000, 10:34 PM
FYI,
Alligator clips on foil tape seems to do the trick. Thanks again for the help, all.
RK