PDA

View Full Version : March Mtg at CoralBoy Farms

jandlms
03/04/2005, 07:18 PM
Mark your calendars boys and girls. The next meeting of the Fox Valley Reefers Club will take place on March 20th at Coral Boy Farms in Two Rivers. I spoke with Kevin today and he's pumped to have all of us over. If you haven't seen his setup you are in for a real treat. The meeting will take place on Sunday (you owe me big for this Spike) at 10AM. Sorry for those of you that are devout Sunday church goers, but Saturday can be a nice time to commune with the almighty also. Kevin at CoralBoy Farms would appreciate some more exact numbers of attendeees. So respond to this thread about whether you are coming and I will keep him updated. Directions will be forthcoming soon (the drive is less than an hour from Green Bay). I will bring a members contact list with me to the meeting and we need someone for the April meeting as I am done setting up meetings for a while. I have no new bright ideas so someone is going to have to step forward for April. See ya in Trivers (TwoRivers).
jandlms

z28cam
03/04/2005, 07:42 PM
2 here...

moujon
03/04/2005, 08:08 PM
Curses! I was hoping to make this one- but it's my Mom's B-day. Maybe the next one.

z28cam
03/04/2005, 08:42 PM
Im sure she would understand :D

Hella
03/04/2005, 09:12 PM
Bah go there after ;)
Ill be there solo

Zombies026
03/04/2005, 10:32 PM
well I guess for now yes fer me but we will see...So yes fer now....Who here from neenah is willing 2 carpool??Let me know so that way I have no choice 2 go (hehehehe)...

Schmev
03/05/2005, 12:11 AM
Checking in with two spots as well.

mako56
03/05/2005, 01:47 AM
Almost in my back yard. His place is 7.5 miles south of Kewaunee I think Two Rivers is like 25 miles south of Kewuanee. He must be kinda close to the nuke plant. Oh well count the older fellow in LOL. :rollface:

Aquabucket
03/05/2005, 02:00 AM
Thanks jandlms!

I am not alone though as I get alot of feedback from our fellow club members at work.

On another note is there any reason in particular we are scheduling the meetings in the morning? Several club members I have spoken to said they would prefer later time slots in the future.

Anywho ~ I will be there and look forward to it.

In the meantime I will post some polls here to get an idea of when to schedule future meetings.

z28cam
03/05/2005, 07:20 AM
I think they are earlier in the morning cause it doesn't screw up a weekend day or something like that :D

At least thats what I think was said at the first meeting.

I think I said this in another thread but I believe the one hosting the meeting should/does have control over what time things happen.

Aquabucket
03/05/2005, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by z28cam

I think I said this in another thread but I believe the one hosting the meeting should/does have control over what time things happen.

I agree that the host can set the time ~ but keep in mind a time slot that can accomidate the preferences of the majority of our members will enable more to attend.

I have had some comments from a few members saying that they were not too keen on attending meetings in the morning. I am guessing that late nights and weekend hangovers are part of the reasoning behind this.

I get to chat with a cross section of our members regularily at the store and am just letting the rest of us know how several feel about certain aspects of our club so far.

The better we can accomidate the majority of our members the more success this club will have IMO.

Once the polls I posted are conducted we can provide a better date/time target for our hosts to consider when it comes to the scheduling of the their meeting.

FEEDERFISH
03/05/2005, 12:59 PM
(2 here), will there be another frag swap at this meet

jandlms
03/05/2005, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure about a frag swap. is it considered bad taste to have a frag swap ata place that is selling us corals. Hey Aquabucket! What do you think? Would you be mortally offended if we came to your shop and started trading corals on the floor (possibly in front of other customers)?
Not criticizng a swap, just questioning if we should hold off.
jandlms

DiverD rufus
03/05/2005, 06:35 PM
I should be able to make this one looking forward to meeting everyone.

mherrb
03/05/2005, 06:59 PM
I will not be able to attend again. What happened to having the meetings on a set weekend (say third weekend) every month ? With all the switching around and last minute threads on where the meetings will be I am afraid I won't be able to make many.

z28cam
03/05/2005, 07:03 PM
Im thinking no on the frag swap. It might seem kinda odd going to a place like his that has tons of corals and swapping frags :D

If anyone wants to swap frags this month maybe it should be done on each persons own time.

My .02

mako56
03/05/2005, 07:13 PM
I agree maybe some time in the future he might even get into swaping but I think it is something that should be felt out a little first.

jandlms
03/05/2005, 11:33 PM
mherrb,
Sorry you can't make it to coral boy farms, but is the 20th not the third weekend of the month? Maybe i'm remembering wrong but I thought third weekend was acceptable to most. My bad as I could have gotten coralboy for the fourth weekend.
jandlms

Aquabucket
03/06/2005, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by jandlms
I'm not sure about a frag swap. is it considered bad taste to have a frag swap ata place that is selling us corals. Hey Aquabucket! What do you think? Would you be mortally offended if we came to your shop and started trading corals on the floor (possibly in front of other customers)?
Not criticizng a swap, just questioning if we should hold off.
jandlms

First off I think Kevin should have been informed that we swap frags at every meeting. My understanding was that Keven was going to be a member of our club. Does anyone know if Kevin intends on joining?

If a meeting was held at my shop ~ frag swapping would be encouraged and frags from my shop would be available for trading.
I trade corals and fish at my shop with fellow reefers quite frequently. To me its just good business and it helps diversify my stock along with making local reefers and my customers happy. Heck I trade stuff several times a week on average ~ especially from those with unwanted fish.

I hope this meeting is more about the details of his set-up and an opportunity for Kevin to meet fellow reefkeepers in the area. If anyone wants to buy corals from him (myself included) that could be conducted near the end of the meeting along with the usual frag swapping.

If there is no frag swapping going on ~ I feel it kind of takes away from the purpose of all of us getting togethor as a club.

Frag swaps are an important aspect of having a reef club along with the chance to chat with fellow reefers and see their set-ups ~ at least thats how other clubs on RC conduct things. Once in awhile clubs will schedule speakers ~ but this typically comes with a price tag.

Now I am wondering if this meeting is going to more of a group buy thing rather than an FVRC club meeting. Don't get me wrong If I see a nice coral I would be quite willing to purchase one. Not being able to trade frags would be a bit dissapointing for me though.

jandlms
03/06/2005, 09:00 AM
The "meeting" will definitely include the tour and overview of his systems. Stopping the shop talk with Kevin is often more of a problem as it is with most reefers. He has a fantastic setup and a great deal of info to share. I am due to give him an update on numbers soon so I will discuss a frag swap with him (to see if its okay).
jandlms

Aquabucket
03/06/2005, 09:59 AM
I am quite interested in seeing the set-up but can always do that on my own time. Does Kevin intend to be a member or not? It seems to me he has alot to gain from us attending and our policy of trading frags at all meetings should not be curtailed.

If he does not want to offer to trade any frags that's his choice ~ but in the spirit of things I hope he agrees.

Stigmatic
03/06/2005, 10:11 AM
I will finaly be able to attend one. Im also draggin TJ (Debaser) along with me!

z28cam
03/06/2005, 11:08 AM
When we stoppped in after the last meeting Kevin said he wanted to get in on the club thing and come to some of the meetings when possible. If someone wants to contact him I am guessing he is gonna more than welcome frag trading at his "farm".

But he should be notified before hand so there are no surprises.

FEEDERFISH
03/06/2005, 09:18 PM
I was just pondering on the frag swap...this time around i will have a few things to frag, forsure I will pick a few things up at his shop...just reply to this post if he is comfortable with a frag trade at his place otherwise my frags will be left for the next meeting....no big deal just some pink candy coral, rainbow mushrooms and red mushrooms

iceman5
03/06/2005, 10:06 PM
count me in possibly for me and another

jmkarcz
03/06/2005, 11:06 PM
Count me, and I found a mason client who is interested and I will be trying to drag him. How do I find this place... I've read so much about it and am amazed it was on my doorstep all these years.
email or post would be appreciated... or correct me if I have inadvertanly not read where directions were already posted...

Jason

three fish
03/07/2005, 10:50 AM
I will see you on Sunday!! I cannot wait.

FlipFlops24/7
03/07/2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Stigmatic
I will finaly be able to attend one. Im also draggin TJ (Debaser) along with me!

Actually it's my fiance's birthday on Saturday, but I think we are going to be in Kewanee anyways so I will definately come if we are. Yeah Stig you better come check this place out.

On another note, Ive already seen Kevin's setup 5 times now and I really think everyone in the club should see it. About trading corals, I think that coral trading should still go on as long as Kevin agrees. Kevin is still going to get some business at the meeting and most of us will become returning customers. I intend on buying another coral that Sunday if I'm up there(mmmm purple finger coral).

daddavis1
03/07/2005, 04:48 PM
Digger here I'll be at church from 9-12 so it'll be no for me. I'm trying to setup a time for April interested in Spike's survey for best times. Likely Sat after 1900 or Sun after 1400. Trading isn't an issue. Haven't picked a day yet.

dan

jmkarcz
03/07/2005, 11:04 PM
How do I find this place...

daddavis1
03/08/2005, 10:33 AM
Have directions to Coral Boy been posted for this already? If not can I get them. I won't be able to make but I'm interested in seeing his setup.

Aquabucket
03/08/2005, 10:46 AM
Directions have not been posted yet. I would also like to get his phone number. From what I understand he is a wholesaler as well so I would like to give him a call.

BryanJ
03/08/2005, 10:50 AM
His name and number is in the GBpressgazette in the pet section.

Aquabucket
03/08/2005, 11:34 AM
I don't read newspapers any more. I wonder if its online?

***** I can't find it online. Could someone plaese post the number.

Thanks

jandlms
03/08/2005, 02:17 PM
The phone number for kevin a Coral Boy farms is 920-388-0342. I will post the directions later this week (they are also in a previous thread - Just search for FVRC threads with Coral Boy Farms as the key term). In a nutshell, he is abou 1.0 to 1.5 miles off of hwy 42 between Kewaunee and Two Rivers. I need to talk to him about directions as I just go there I don't pay attention to road signs anymore.
jandlms

mako56
03/08/2005, 09:33 PM
I am going to take a little trip there tomorrow and can make some better directions. He told me to go south on 42 7.5 miles until you come to county G the turn left towards the lake for about another mile. If you were coming from Green Bay you could take 29 to Kewaunee. It meets 42 at the bottom of the hill and there is a Mobil station on the right. This is where he told me to start from. I will check it out better when I go there tomorrow.

Aquabucket
03/09/2005, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Zombies026
well I guess for now yes fer me but we will see...So yes fer now....Who here from neenah is willing 2 carpool??Let me know so that way I have no choice 2 go (hehehehe)...

If you want to hook up with me in GB I'll drive from there.
I'll problaby chock down a few :smokin: along the way though.

FlipFlops24/7
03/09/2005, 11:04 AM
Me and Stigmatic will most likely be coming. We both are from Oshkosh, so anyone who wants to ride along let me know.

Zombies026
03/09/2005, 04:06 PM
Either or no matters but I guess who ever is the closest would b better..Not 2 sound like a retard but when is this meeting and what time??

Zombies026
03/09/2005, 04:08 PM
Yeah ok never mind I have 2 read duh!!!!!

mikey77
03/09/2005, 09:26 PM
I'll be there.

gooch
03/10/2005, 02:54 AM
I went to CBF to check things out. You should like what you see. He seems like a nice guy. We talked shop for about three hours. Friendly competition is a nice thing. Got three frags out of his display tank and a couple of small colonies that were interesting and have potential. Think I am gonna buy his mated pair of Golden Butterflies for my FO/soft coral tank.

nellie54914
03/11/2005, 11:58 PM
I am hoping to make it if I can convince my husband to go! How far is it from Appleton, I've never been to Kewaunee before. We have a pretty new tank and only have a few mushrooms and polyps so no corals to trade..anyone want to trade for a peppermint shrimp? :)

z28cam
03/12/2005, 12:00 AM
It should take you about an hour or a little more

FlipFlops24/7
03/12/2005, 09:11 AM
Don't forget to check out the pictures I took at Coral Boy Farm if you haven't seen them yet

http://www.holdren.org/coralboyfarm/

nellie54914
03/12/2005, 05:18 PM
I talked to the hubby and we will be going for sure, so 2 for us. Since we are new and don't have anything to trade, when people bring frags to trade would they usually sell them too? We are looking for some mushrooms and zoos to brighten up our tank.

mako56
03/12/2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by mako56
I am going to take a little trip there tomorrow and can make some better directions. He told me to go south on 42 7.5 miles until you come to county G the turn left towards the lake for about another mile. If you were coming from Green Bay you could take 29 to Kewaunee. It meets 42 at the bottom of the hill and there is a Mobil station on the right. This is where he told me to start from. I will check it out better when I go there tomorrow.

Well I checked it out and wow. The directions he gave me worked great. It is exactly 7.5 miles from the little Mobil station in Kewaunee then you turn left it looks like G goes west or right but you want to go east or left towards the lake you go down this road almost exactly 1 mile and the road curves his house and huge shed is rigt on the corner I wrote down the house number and lost the paper (go figure) but I will look a little more for it. I know it started with a N but it is right on the corner the first place. Lake Michigan in the back yard.

mikey77
03/13/2005, 10:19 PM
Put me down for 2.

Calhoun99
03/13/2005, 10:21 PM
My wife and I will be there.

z28cam
03/13/2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by nellie54914
I talked to the hubby and we will be going for sure, so 2 for us. Since we are new and don't have anything to trade, when people bring frags to trade would they usually sell them too? We are looking for some mushrooms and zoos to brighten up our tank.

Some people might want to trade only, while others may not mind selling thier frags.

You might possibly want to post a message in the March Frag Swap (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=549539) thread stating what your looking to purchase at the up and comming meeting and see where that gets you. I have some shrooms that I would part with if your interested. I can post a pic of them in the thread I mentioned if you like. I also have some zoos.

jmkarcz
03/16/2005, 08:16 PM
Sounds official, I'll be a party of 2. (Non smoking window seat please.)

Jason

aberg12012
03/18/2005, 09:14 PM
Well I guess I'm gunna take off work to make the meeting... I think it'll be worth it. Just wondering if anyone has some room for me to ride along, from neenah. I PM'd Debaser and Zombie as I think they are comming up from Oshkosh, but since this is short nottice/last minute I thought I'd spread the word all I can that I'm looking for a ride, so I don't end up having to drive my thirsty truck all the way out there. :D

I certainly plan on chipping in for gas.

Looking forward to it, and I plan on hopefully getting some frags.