PDA

View Full Version : I need advice on resealing my tank

bigben
07/18/2000, 04:25 PM
Hey yall,

With a razorblade, I've been cutting the silicone seals out of the used tank I bought recently. However, I can't seem to get every little bit of silicone off of the glass surface. Will this be a problem when adding new silicone? Is there some type of solvent I can use to completely free the glass of old sealant? Thank you,

Ben

------------------
"Bake 'em away, toys."

--Police Chief Wigham

Doug
07/18/2000, 08:40 PM
Hi Ben,

I would think that you would need to get as much of the old silicone out as you can. I would think that the new silicone would adhere to the old as long as it is not to large of an area.

The only problem with using some sort of solvent is that if it removes the old silicone it may not allow the new silicone to take a good hold. Also be careful if you use some sort of solvent that it will not cause problems down the road with our livestock.

HTH

Doug

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited 07-18-2000).]

bigben
07/18/2000, 09:32 PM
Thanks, Doug :)

Ben

------------------
"Bake 'em away, toys."

--Police Chief Wigham

Dude
07/19/2000, 01:04 AM
Hey Bigben. Thsi is what u need to do. I know this first hand i had my 180 pop & hads to fix it. The whole tank has to come apart. Razorblade all the excess silicon off then with 100 or 120 grit sandpaper sand the edges whe the silicon was. then reassemble. here is the tricky part has to be put back together within 20 min or so since read next sentence. It is a pain in the *** but I know for a fact new silicon does adhese to old silicon.

hope this helps,
Dude