PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer recommendation for sump ???

Rob
06/17/2000, 11:36 PM
Thanks for recommending the Turboflotor again. I'll just buy one retail.

On eBay the closing price was $181.45, and add to that UPS shipping! And if it arrives with a piece missing, or doesn't work.... ;-)

------------------
Cheers,
Rob

IFLY2HIGH
06/17/2000, 11:52 PM
I'm doing a 75 gallon reef setup, does this Turbofloater really work this good compared to a Berlin Skimmer?? Does the Turbo come will all the pumps and plumbing or does it require a seperate pump like the berlin??

- Eric

Rob
06/18/2000, 10:50 AM
This weekend I let a Turboflotor 1000 on eBay go, because somebody bid it up to about the retail cost (does anybody but me actually check these things?)

Can any who has been through the sump-building process, recommend a skimmer that would:

1. Work good inside a DIY sump;
2. Not be too noisy;
3. Be easy to clean. The more that my fiancee can do for herself, the better. I don't mind doing all the dirty work, but I don't want it to seem like I'm taking over.

------------------
Cheers,
Rob

RWD
06/18/2000, 10:59 AM
Rob,
I think you should still go with the Turbo if the tank is 150 gal or less. I ran mine in a RubberMaid container and it worked great. Here's a link to a Turbo in a DIY 20 gal sump.Bob
http://www.marine-monsters.com/front/articles.html#sump
By the way you should be able to find a Turbo for $169 @ Champion or Marine Depot.
------------------
Visit my new web page: http://bobsreefermadness.homestead.com/index.html

[This message has been edited by RWD (edited 06-18-2000).]

RWD
06/18/2000, 02:30 PM
Eric,
I have not used the Berlin so I can't say if it's better. I had the Turbo on a 125 and it worked great. The directions suck but the skimmer works good. The Turbo USUALLY comes with a Rio 2100 for the needle wheel.
There are a few way to feed the Turbo:
1) Use the overflow. With this method you run the tank overflow into the Turbo. I don't like this method because the overflow usually has a much larger gph capacity than the Turbo needs. This might work on smaller tanks where the gph is lower. On larger tanks you might put a tee on the overflow plumbing and use only a portion of the overflow water.
2) Tee off the return pump from the sump. I used this method and it works well. Put a tee and ball valve on the return pump so that you can control the flow into the Turbo.
3) Use a 300-500 gph power head to feed it. This is the simplest method. Use a valve to control flow into the skimmer. Some ph's have them built in. I have an old Hagen 802 that has a flow control.
The Turbo takes a little while to break in and adjust but when you find the sweet spot it skims very nice.Good luck,Bob

TAC
06/20/2000, 11:22 PM
RWD,

Does the effluent water from the skimmer go back into the sump in method two? I figure it has to or the skimmer would overflow.

Terry

RWD
06/21/2000, 04:00 PM
Terry,
Yes it does. It flows right back into the sump in all cases.Bob

------------------
Visit my new web page: http://bobsreefermadness.homestead.com/index.html

TAC
06/21/2000, 04:04 PM
OOPS

[This message has been edited by TAC (edited 06-21-2000).]