PDA

View Full Version : Something to consider…Help would awsome :)

MX6import
03/03/2005, 02:22 PM
I have a small 4-gallon hexagon tank 5� on side panels, 9� for width and 15� high. It’s made out of acrylic and is currently empty. I would like to make a self contained micro reef inside. I plan on putting about 5� of live sand bed probably oolitic aragonite sand (fine) and a large piece of live rock supported by stilts to not squash the sand. I was thinking something that was tall and skinny kind of like a cone inside the tank. I will have sufficient light, which I’m not sure about yet so any input would be helpful. I also think I should add a water mover but I would obviously need a small one so if you know any places with small water mover that would be help full as well. I might add an air stone but I’m not sure yet. Coral and some fish will be added later on. I want this to be a biosphere tank.

I have been reading a lot and some people are talking about plenums, what are those and how do they work? Also will they benefit me? Plus and ideas about lighting would be great and about what kind of bottoms feeders will be good so as to stir up the sand. Any help or recommendations would be great. I plan to start this weekend and I will take lots of pics. Thanks guys

Sugar Magnolia
03/03/2005, 03:10 PM
It's definitely doable, but the first thing I would suggest is NOT putting 5" of sand in there. Nano's have no benefit from a DSB and it just takes up too much headroom in the tank. 1-2" of sand is perfectly fine or even bare bottom. Plenum is also not really needed in a tank this size.

Rather than putting one large rock in the tank, aim for several small peices nicely stacked together. This will give you more surface area for colonizing denitrifying bacteria as well as more places to tuck corals into.

For water movement you'll want to aim for at least a turnover rate of 10x the water volume, so about 400 gph. You can accomplish this a few ways. I like to use a HOB(hang on back) mechanical filter. I rely on Aquaclear filters for their excellent quality and performance. On a 4 gallon tank, an AC 300 (now called AC 70)would be the best choice for that tank. That'll give you 300gph. You will also want to add a small powerhead for added flow. Micro-jet is the powerhead I recommend, again for their quality and performance. The micro-jet 450 which has adjustable flow will pump up to 117 gph. If you want even more flow, add a second one. Or, just use 2 powerheads and no HOB. Some folks do that. I like having an HOB for a place to run carbon and a poly pad when needed.

For lighting, there are tons of choices. 2x13 watt power compacts would work, but if you can manage to get a 32 watt PC over the tank, go with that.

The tank will have to cycle before you add any critters to it, so pateince is the key.

Some things you'll need to have on hand are test kits - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. A refractometer or hydrometer to monitor your salinity. A heater to warm the tank and some type of thermometer to monitor the temp.

Be sure to use quality water - RO/DI is best, bottled distilled works too, but avoid tap water. Too many impurities which will lead to nuisance algae outbreaks.

Welcome to RC and best of luck to you!

Jimsmowen
03/03/2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Sugar Magnolia
For water movement you'll want to aim for at least a turnover rate of 10x the water volume, so about 400 gph. You can accomplish this a few ways. I like to use a HOB(hang on back) mechanical filter. I rely on Aquaclear filters for their excellent quality and performance. On a 4 gallon tank, an AC 300 (now called AC 70)would be the best choice for that tank. That'll give you 300gph. You will also want to add a small powerhead for added flow. Micro-jet is the powerhead I recommend, again for their quality and performance. The micro-jet 450 which has adjustable flow will pump up to 117 gph. If you want even more flow, add a second one. Or, just use 2 powerheads and no HOB. Some folks do that. I like having an HOB for a place to run carbon and a poly pad when needed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldnt 400gph be just one big sand storm in a tank that size?

And isnt 10x4=40 ?

Carl_in_Florida
03/03/2005, 04:22 PM
I would also reccomend not rushing into this. Take some time and make sure you know exactly what direction you want to take.

Carl

Sugar Magnolia
03/03/2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Jimsmowen
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldnt 400gph be just one big sand storm in a tank that size?

And isnt 10x4=40 ?
<------Idiot! Thanks for the correction Jim. I don't know what I was thinking. Math wasn't my forte. :D I have a good excuse...wanna hear it? :rolleyes:

Now...that being said, I have an AC 300 on my 2.5 with the mini impeller. 100 gph and no sandstorm.

I'll shut up now, but I stand corrected on the math error and stand by my other recommendations. Sorry MX6. Screaming 14 month old chillen' have a tendancy to make one rush through posts.

MX6import
03/03/2005, 09:19 PM
ok thanks alot guys for the power head info. im buying aqua clear 100mpg i need some help on heating and on a light. this tank has a hood but its an octogon hood 9"wide and it has a sock in there right now. i want to get light to suppoort coral but i can't find any that will fit in there. some help would be awsome. plus i just got a 7.5 heater, will that be enough? well please get back to me when you can.

One more thing can i drill acrlyic with a regual drill bit.

Jimsmowen
03/03/2005, 11:20 PM
Retrofit some powercompacts? am sure you can fit some in there!

you have a 9" by 5" square for lighting right?

69vette
03/04/2005, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by MX6import
One more thing can i drill acrlyic with a regual drill bit.

Sometimes. A sharp bit will usually crack the acrylic when it breaks through the other side. I've had luck using a fairly dull bit that doesn't grab the material. I beleive you can buy special bits made for drilling acrylic.

Depending on the size of the hole, a toothed hole saw made for cutting wood is a better option.

MX6import
03/04/2005, 01:12 PM
ok well i think im under way. i purchased a 6" 25watt heater, a rio power head 80GPH i think, 20watt 10000k dual bulb, and ceramic 6" air stone. all i nned now is to get the stuff and to get some live rock and live sand fomr my other tank.
the 20watt 1000K should be enough for kind's of coral, right? and ideas on what kinds would be best.
plus i was thinking about putting a spong on the power head to cut down on bacteria in the water, any iidea on that and on what kind.
plus are they different kinds of grass that you can get for the tank that will break down nitrogen in the water and build O2.
andrew