PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Introduction

stanross
03/03/2005, 12:40 PM
My name is Stan Ross. I have done freshwater for about 3 years and have recently switched over to saltwater. I have read "The Concsientous Aquarist" and many forums online. I currently have a 29g that is just in the process of finishing cycling (5 weeks). This tank was intended for fish-only, but the more I learn about the hobby, the more I think I'd like inverts and corals.

Current thoughts:

I have learned that a 29g is a tough start for newbies and it severely limits what I can do with fish longterm. I want to step up to a 55 or 75 gallon before I get real involved.

It is very apparent that one can spend a hefty chunk of money in this hobby. I want to keep this down to a certain extent. Filtration, skimming, lighting, and fish seem to be the biggest obstacles. For example, you can have an air-driven undergravel pump/skimmer or you can have a about $1500 in equipment to do the same thing but better. Where is the happy medium ?

Live Rock is available from LFS or Tampa Bay Reef for about $7-10 per pound, ouch. Other than that its illegal, why can't I pick some things up out at point-0f-rocks and start with that. Has anyone tried this ? Granted I don't have fish yet, disease shouldn't really be a problem. Sounds friendlier to the environment that scooping it up with an excavator in the phillipines.

I am looking forward to the next meeting as I will be in attendance. Thanks, Stan

sandman12
03/03/2005, 02:50 PM
It is illegal to collect rock if u dont have certain permits.
Liverocks.com has rock for $4/lb, contact me if ud like any.
Bigger the better in this hobby. If u can afford it do a 75g or larger.

Bugs825
03/03/2005, 03:40 PM
Hey Stan,

Welcome!!! I also have a 29 gallon and I love it. I agree with James, the bigger the better, but right now the budget won't allow it. I also started with fish only and now I cannot stop with corals.

Its a shame that you missed Our meeting last month. We made our own DIY Live Rock. It was a blast and we have some really nice pieces. Better than you could buy at a fraction of the cost. If you and some others want to get together one day to make some more give me a yell.

Heres what i have going in my 29

Pair of false perculas
20+ pounds of Live Rock (soon to be much more :D )
2-3" sandbed
35 snails (5 different kinds)
10 hermits
5 emerald crabs (want a couple?)
sally lightfoot crab
3 Anemones
Xenia
Zoas
Shrooms
Colt
Leather
Blasto
Candy Cane
Hydnophora

I would stay away from the under gravel filters. I had one and took it out. A good sandbed, live rock, and a good skimmer should do it. FWC will not like anyone taking LR from the waters. not to mention all the red tide.

Check out the thread on the DIY Live Rock

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=533394

Hope to see you at the next meeting
Let me know if i can help

Nathan

Agu
03/03/2005, 07:24 PM
Stan,

[welcome]

Send me an email and I'll add you to the club email list.

Agu

wahwoo
03/03/2005, 07:32 PM
Stan,

I just moved into the area 3 weeks ago. This is a good club. Small but lots of nice knowlegable reefers.

Im open to help you out with advice also. Heres a little from what you asked about: #1 Stay away from local fish store advice ANY WHERE ON THE PLANET. Always ask on Reefcentral and take the advice of other reefers.

I assume the local fish store (LFS) is where you got the undergravel or $1,500. option. That sounds typical. Its not that bad and most reefers have found great tricks to save bucks.

Dont use an undergravel. Dont use gravel (sand or nothing). Dont use any filter at all! They create big problems. You can get a small Prism skimmer for $70. to start or get a better one for $150 - $300. With corals you want to put $ into LIGHTS and effort into water parameters.

The bigger tank size costs money to load with Live Rock and LSand. But you can start out with less than recomended and then add more as you go. Bigger is easier but there are reef tanks from 2.5 gal on up. Stick with adice from the other club members and RC and you wont go wrong.

Dave

Bugs825
03/04/2005, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by wahwoo
You can get a small Prism skimmer for $70. to start or get a better one for $150 - $300. With corals you want to put $ into LIGHTS and effort into water parameters.

I have a Prizm skimmer and it works very well on my 29 gallon. My wife bought it for me for Christmas at a LFS and paid $160. OUCH :eek1: !!! She didn't knbow about the ones on eBay for $70. So shop around.

Nathan

wsurf4me
03/04/2005, 07:37 AM
I have a Prizm skimmer and it works very well on my 29 gallon. My wife bought it for me for Christmas at a LFS and paid $160. OUCH !!! She didn't knbow about the ones on eBay for $70. So shop around.

I tried to sell my Prizm a few months ago for $30, no takers, collecting dust in my garage.

scubadude
03/04/2005, 12:17 PM
Just wanted to say Hi to Stan :)

And welcome to ACROS, I look forward to meeting/chatting w/you at the next meeting.

Agu
03/04/2005, 07:58 PM
Dave,

The club isn't that small, it's just hard for people to get away. We have over 30 people on the email list and most of them have made a meeting or two.

Agu

wahwoo
03/04/2005, 10:59 PM
Agu, I hope that sentance wasnt taken as a slight in any way. It wasnt meant as one at all. "Lots of nice, knowledgable reefers." All of you made me feel very welcome. I learned some cool stuf at the meeting. The experience level of many of the club members far exceeds mine and I hope to learn much more from being involved.

See I just moved from an area in NJ where New York City was as close as Sarasota is to here and Piladelphia was 90 min. Between those three clubs there was an extreme amount of RC and local club activity. So to me this is smaller but in no way is it any less of a good thing. I appreciate where I am now and hope to be able to gain as well as share a lot here.

AquAsylum
03/30/2005, 10:08 AM
Stan, any chance you're Tara's Stan?

Either way, hi and welcome- I'm also a newbie...

stanross
03/30/2005, 10:22 AM
That's right. I am Tara's Stan. Go ahead and give me an email at
Stanross@comcast.net

Thanks !