PDA

View Full Version : Tank of the Month - March 2005

Pages : [1] 2

Skipper
03/02/2005, 08:09 PM
This month we are featuring Daniel Gan's (danano) beautiful reef aquarium:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/totm/images/RChomepage.jpg (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/totm/index.htm)

More details can be found here (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/totm/index.htm) or by clicking on the picture above.

Congratulations, Daniel!

puffer21
03/05/2005, 07:47 PM
that is a really good tank i like it a lot

downset
03/05/2005, 07:48 PM
Tank Looks sweet too bad we cant trade
:p

Aquaguru
03/05/2005, 07:55 PM
Congrats on the beautiful tank, nice job. I liked how you showed the growth sequences of some of the corals I think it was a good idea.

TippyToeX
03/05/2005, 09:19 PM
Congratulations!! A beautiful tank, very deserving of TOTM. :thumbsup:

Spearfish
03/05/2005, 09:20 PM
I am considering T5s and doing away with the halides based on his success. I love this tank

tampa-reefer
03/05/2005, 09:33 PM
Ive got t5's...yay! Gives me more moral support.

rjwilson37
03/05/2005, 09:40 PM
That is some great color from your corals.. A definate top notch TOTM.

I use the T5's as well and tell other's to aim towards the ATI 11k and Blue pluses. My colors have come along way with the T5's compared to PC's and I don't have any problems with heat, which is wonderful in such a small system.

Flipturn88
03/05/2005, 09:54 PM
Simply stunning! The corals have amazing colors. A well-deserving TOTM indeed. :)

Mr. Eko
03/05/2005, 09:59 PM
AMAZING!! Its great to see what you can really do with T5's.
Again, great job and keep up the great work=-)

danano
03/05/2005, 10:39 PM
Thanks Skip et al!:) Glad y'all like it!

The T5s have worked really well for me. Colours are somewhat more pastel. Main differences I see compared to MH tanks are less intense purples although I really like how the purple humilis turned out - which has almost doubled in size in the past year.

Dan

Gawain1974
03/05/2005, 11:08 PM
Amazing tank...I really enjoyed reading about your tank and looking at the pics.

rjwilson37
03/05/2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by danano

The T5s have worked really well for me. Colours are somewhat more pastel. Main differences I see compared to MH tanks are less intense purples although I really like how the purple humilis turned out - which has almost doubled in size in the past year.

Dan
I am not getting much growth from my Acro's under T5's, but I think it is more of a flow problem. I am only pushing 17 times through my system, compared to other's doing SPS that push 25 or more times through there system. What are you thoughts on getting more growth from SPS, especially Acro's with more flow.

newreefman31
03/05/2005, 11:34 PM
i just wanted to to say your tank is stunning!

NightstrikeTR
03/05/2005, 11:37 PM
Great Tanks Man! Very colorfull also...Keep up the good work! =)

Brian

bigfishman
03/05/2005, 11:42 PM
Cool! Great tank!

Oceanic105
03/05/2005, 11:59 PM
Very nice tank,looks great!!!!

kal2310
03/06/2005, 12:30 AM
Amazing tank, congrats on ToTM

FastUno
03/06/2005, 12:48 AM
Speechless!
I also have T5's, thanks for the inspiration.
What are you're thoughts on the Tek T5's reflectors & fixtures? Do you feel you would have gotten the same/similar results had you used Tek T5's?

Nicholas Ang
03/06/2005, 01:20 AM
http://www.sgreefing.com/forum/html/emoticons/whistling.gifhttp://www.sgreefing.com/forum/html/emoticons/whistling.gifhttp://www.sgreefing.com/forum/html/emoticons/whistling.gifhttp://www.sgreefing.com/forum/html/emoticons/whistling.gifhttp://www.sgreefing.com/forum/html/emoticons/whistling.gifhttp://www.sgreefing.com/forum/html/emoticons/whistling.gif

:thumbsup:

scarab65
03/06/2005, 02:28 AM
Congrats bro, very well deserved.

I have the pleasure of viewing the tank in person and it is stunning :eek1: :eek1: :eek2: :eek2:

Excellent write up and love the photos. :thumbsup:

Well done :celeb3:

cecilturtle
03/06/2005, 02:36 AM
As deserving of TOTM as this one is, I am that much more enamored of your previous tank, the 30gal...

Either way, there is no denying your beautiful artistry and husbandry my friend.

danano
03/06/2005, 04:39 AM
Another big thank you for all the kind words! I'm delighted and at the same time truly honoured to share and discuss my tank with you.;)

rjwilson, while lights and flow play a part, I believe stable and optimal water parameters are key to getting good growth. That said, random flow around the corals is equally important.

FastUno, I personally have not tried the Tek T5 reflectors and fixtures although an LFS here carries them. I noticed the reflectors did not have the same mirror finish coating as the ATI's and they did not rest directly on the bulbs for maximum reflectivity. However, the reflectors and bulbs are very closely packed with the Tek and that's good. Could I have gotten similar results... perhaps, it's hard to say, I'd need to test both in a controlled environment.

Scarab, thanks bro! For the encouragement and support too. And of course, the frags from your super-millepora colonies... the rasberry and sunset are simply awesome!!:D

Cecil, thank you my friend. :)

CPT. MURPHY
03/06/2005, 05:39 AM
Fantastic! Congrats on TOTM :)

Achilles
03/06/2005, 05:39 AM
Danano.... your tank is awesome and a big inspiration to me personally too!

Well deserving, your RC TOTM award!

Frags on you soon? ;)

poknsnok
03/06/2005, 06:38 AM
awsome tank dan!!... what type t-5 lighting do you have??

surfersce
03/06/2005, 09:10 AM
BEautiful tanks, the amount of corals and thier beauty is staggering!!

FastUno
03/06/2005, 09:24 AM
What bulb sequence do you use?
On your full aquarium shot the lighting looks intense, while on your other shots it looks more blueish. Is this camera setting or full/partial light setting?

Ludwigia73
03/06/2005, 09:33 AM
Amazing... I blame RC for not making your tank TOTM earlier and helping me decide to do T5 instead of MH. Im happy with MH, but I think I should have gone T5.

danano
03/06/2005, 10:12 AM
Ludwigia, ever thought of supplementing your MH with T5s? That way, you'd get the best of both worlds but also more heat and higher energy consumption.

FastUno, bulb sequence is as follows:
AB-BP-AB-AB-BP-AB-AB-BP
(AB - Aquablue Special; BP - Blue Plus)
Pics were taken with all lights on. Some were slightly underexposed (aperture setting) to avoid washed out pics.

ranceego
03/06/2005, 11:26 AM
your tank looks great, and i love the use of the t5s.

GW Shark
03/06/2005, 11:39 AM
Nice, Real Nice...

chuckdickson
03/06/2005, 01:53 PM
Do you know where you can buy the ATI light fixtures online? I have found the bulbs but not the fixtures.

szesteve
03/06/2005, 02:41 PM
Very nice tank! I like it cos it looks so serene...

phenom5
03/06/2005, 02:49 PM
wow danano, just read through the TOTM write up and...wow. very nice tank, by far my favorite TOTM that i've seen ( no offense to any past TOTM winners:thumbsup: )
you've got me debating between T-5's and MH for my new tank now.

congrats on the TOTM.

tlp
03/06/2005, 04:50 PM
Danano,
Many congrats.. a well deserved accolade, great to read and see your tank again.

John Brancheau
03/06/2005, 05:09 PM
Danano,

Congratulations, what a beautiful tank......And without metal halide to boot........

John

Spearfish
03/06/2005, 06:13 PM
I mentioned this to Danano in another thread but would like to ask again. Do you think the even light is what makes the t5s work. I know my 400 is great right under it and peters out the further away you get.

onefin
03/06/2005, 06:22 PM
Wow they just keep getting better and better, great looking tank.

chuff
03/06/2005, 08:12 PM
Great Job. You really deserve TOTM. Thanks for the awesome pictures.

ReefWaters
03/06/2005, 08:51 PM
Beautiful set up!

Who built the tank?

danano
03/06/2005, 09:03 PM
:) thanks. Glad you like the write-up and pics.

chuckd, I know the ATI bulbs are in the US but I've not seen the fixtures either. Perhaps in time, ATI will design one with US voltage in mind. The fixtures are known as ATI T5 Powerbalken in Europe.

John, your tank and numerous others (including Steve Weast's) are inspiring my next "BIG" project. But that's at least several years away and would involve moving to a bigger place, i.e. house-hunting with a 300-500g and dedicated reef-room in mind. :p It's still a dream at the moment.:D Thanks!

Spearfish, the T5s give excellent edge-edge coverage. And the ATI bulbs provide the right intensity and spectrum for the corals. The Germans seem to have gotten it just right. Good reflectors and fixture design play an equally important role - to maximise intensity. Although still no where near 400W MH bulbs. I've seen excellent results and color in tanks using 400W MH bulbs coupled with well designed reflectors. But there's always a trade-off somewhere. With T5s though, bleaching and UV effect on corals is much less of an issue.

Reefwaters, it was custom built by local tank maker. Euro bracing all around, with extra strips of glass on all side and bottom edges for added strength and support. Probably overkill but better safe than sorry.;)

Dan

Julio
03/06/2005, 09:13 PM
WHOOHOO!!! SWEET TANK!!! Congrats,
really impress with the colors of the corals with T5s.

jdsabin1
03/06/2005, 09:16 PM
You've come a long way Dan. One of the best nano's ever and now RC's TOTM! Well done and beautiful work! :)

danano
03/06/2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by jdsabin1
You've come a long way Dan. One of the best nano's ever and now RC's TOTM! Well done and beautiful work! :)

Hi Jeff! Good to see you here bro. And thanks for the kind words.:)

Dan

xxr66t
03/06/2005, 09:39 PM
excellent tank, you seem to have a very high bio load that doesnt afect the SPS??

Skipper
03/06/2005, 09:47 PM
Dan: could you explain the overflow on the left side? It appears to be external to the tank rather than inside the tank. Am I correct?

danano
03/06/2005, 10:35 PM
xxr66t, to moderate the effect of the heavy bioload, I use a powerful skimmer, perform very frequent water changes and vacuum detritus build-up off the top layer of the sandbed as necessary. I feed small amounts every two days, hence minimising introduction of undesirable/external elements. The quality LR act as a natural food source for many of the fish. Regular spawning (crabs, shrimps and sometimes, the fish)provide another natural source of food.

On the subject of spawning, I noticed a few of the fish were in a frenzy just after sunrise this morning (some light streams into the living room in the morning) and the sps polyps were still out. On closer inspection, I saw that the Sally Lighfoot had just released its fry and there were thousands tossed around in the flow/current! And I've never seen the bellies of the two green chromises and orange skunk so full before.

Skip, you are correct. The overflow box is attached to the left side of the tank. A 16" x 2" U-section was cut out from the left galss panel. A black acrylic sheet slightly shorter than the left glass panel (so the sheet would fit beneath the Euro bracing) is glued to the glass. Before that, slots were cut out across the top edge of the acrylic for the overflow into the external box. DC794 silicone was used to attach the overflow box and a wooden bracket attached to the stand gives added support.

lovetoreef
03/07/2005, 12:52 AM
congratulations - a beautiful tank and setup!! very deserving!

when you mentioned dosing the amino acids, what product are you using and where did you find it?? additionally, how frequently and how much do you dose?

thanks.

gm

Ti
03/07/2005, 01:12 AM
danano:
Awesome tank.
I was beginning to doubt the ability of my TEK T5 on light demanding clams and SPS and was gonna overdrive them, but I'm reconsidering it now.

jc85
03/07/2005, 07:52 AM
As many have mentioned, a great tank and inspiring to us T5 users.

Great stuff, Dan.

JC

danano
03/07/2005, 11:32 AM
gm, I'm now using aminos by Korallin. I've used Salifert and Kent Marine before as well. I'm indifferent to the brand, they all do the job IMO. I follow the recommended dosage although given my stocking level, I'm probably under dosing.

Ti, how far off the water surface is your TEK T5 fixture and what bulbs are you using?

Julio
03/07/2005, 12:56 PM
how often do you change your bulbs?

mhornsby858
03/07/2005, 01:03 PM
Very nice, in the article you mentioned porites, how much light do they require? My LFS who sold it to me did not know that much. It was all green when I bought it and through out the day it shifts in color from green in the morning actinics to brown under the MH by the end of the day and through the night the green returns. I have been shading it but it still turns colors.

chen
03/07/2005, 03:47 PM
Beautiful reeftank powerd by T5!!!! Amazing really...

gary smith
03/07/2005, 05:00 PM
superb tank keep up the good work

my2girls
03/07/2005, 05:19 PM
I am truely jealous. Great tank!!! I'm not going to switch to T5s, but I am going to try some amino acids! Awesome, awesome, awesome!

jaze36
03/07/2005, 08:27 PM
Great tank, and a real nice job with the photos! If I had to describe my dream tank that is it.

danano
03/07/2005, 09:56 PM
Julio, the 54w bulbs are almost 10 months now and still going strong. The 24w bulbs over my prop tank are 20 months and sps still maintain color or colour up. The older bulbs are really the test for me but I plan to change them out soon. I plan to replace the main tank bulbs every 18 months or so or if I observe a degradation in overall sps color.

I find that regular cleaning of bulbs and reflectors is important as precious light intensity is lost with salt coated bulbs/reflectors.

mhornsby, porites are pretty hardy sps and seem to do well under a diverse range of lighting conditions. All of mine are in low light regions, except for my purple porites that's getting direct light on the sandbed.

mikeo1210
03/08/2005, 01:11 AM
Sweet setup! congrats :beer:

Curious what kind of aminos and what kind of iodine do you use? Do you test for iodine?

achilles_tang
03/08/2005, 04:24 AM
yew

tibbs2
03/08/2005, 11:07 AM
The corals look great and it's a nice setup, but I think it looks like everything is crammed together with about every inch on the rock and the sand taken up with a different piece of coral. I think it would look more natural and pleasing if you had fewer corals that were allowed to grow more and take up more of the tank.

I am really impressed by the health and coloration of all your corals.

Mihai
03/08/2005, 11:17 AM
Dan,

where do you get your corals? From the wild? I noticed that you filled that tank pretty fast and at least around here it's imporssible to find so many nice corals at the LFS that fast (it's good if they get a nice one every 2-3 months).

M.

traip93
03/08/2005, 11:58 AM
Beautiful tank.....i love my T5s as well!!!

eidillitih
03/08/2005, 12:03 PM
Good job!!

lunarlanderboy
03/08/2005, 04:16 PM
Danano ~ To add one more comliment: "I absolutely love your tank!" I am looking to upgrade my PC's on my 50 gallon long tank (48"L x 13"W x 19"H) and I would love to have SPS like yours. I think I can only fit four 54 watt T5 bulbs on the top of my aquarium because of the reflector size. Do you feel that would be enough light intensity? If not, maybe another option would be to overdrive them up to around 80 watts which I heard you could do with an icecap ballast.

kev apsley
03/08/2005, 06:46 PM
Dan

all I can say is "Gorgeous!" you have one of the most amazing looking and thriving sps tanks out there! Keep it up!...Water quality must be impeccable

honkit
03/08/2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Mihai
Dan,

where do you get your corals? From the wild? I noticed that you filled that tank pretty fast and at least around here it's imporssible to find so many nice corals at the LFS that fast (it's good if they get a nice one every 2-3 months).

M.

Singapore LFSs have some absolutely gorgeous SPS corals - I drive to Singapore from time to time to pick up some SPSs and yumas.

mikeo1210
03/08/2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by honkit
Singapore LFSs have some absolutely gorgeous SPS corals - I drive to Singapore from time to time to pick up some SPSs and yumas.

Are you paying a $100 a colony or per yuma polyp like we do here? You probably see a lot colonies and less fragments for sale.

aeroreefs
03/08/2005, 09:28 PM
Dan, congrats.
I couldn't believe how so fantastic it is even under T5's.
I don't hasitate to call you a real master.
By the way, would you recommend what kinds of corals are easy to keep relatively from your experience?

danano
03/08/2005, 10:55 PM
Mikeo, I talked about aminos above, I've used 3 brands and they all do the job. As for iodine, I use Kent Marine.

tibbs, I agree with you. :p On hindsight, given the space limitations of my living room, I would have designed a slightly wider (front to back) tank. 2.5ft instead of the current 2ft. The extra space would just be sandbed. That said, it's a goal of mine to eventually clear my sandbed.;) As for the reef proper, the closely packed sps depict a hard coral reef where everything grows into each other, as in the wild. Pruning is a regular exercise. If necessary, I usually give or sell away colonies that grow too large and just keep a frag or two for myself. Hmmm... perhaps a 300g is in order! :D

Mihai, corals in my tank come from all over the world. About half were aquacultured specimens, a quarter from frags and another quarter wild colonies. Some of the aquacultured ones even came from the US.

Mikeo, the pink and other exotic color yumas are sold per polyp here and are typically less than $100 each but I've heard of some going for more. Conversely, we pay per polyp prices for Florida's shipped here from the US and they aren't cheap. They are all fragments.

Lunarlander, given the width of your tank, you should do fine with 4x 54w T5s. What fixtures/reflectors and bulbs do you plan on using?

Kev, more than anything else, water quality is paramount. Time for a water change...:)

aero, assuming you're asking about sps, relatively speaking, I would say montis. Most do well with medium lighting and some even low lighting. Porites too, if you'd rather have Christmas tree rocks in place of some LR. The brown seriatopora seems to thrive in a variety of conditions. 2nd/3rd/etc generation and aquacultured specimens tend to be hardier. The less intensely colored sps may be easier to keep as well. If it's corals in general, then mushrooms, zoanthids, LPS and then SPS, in that order.

Steve Ruddy
03/08/2005, 11:06 PM
Dan,

I love seeing other peoples aquariums and can find something I like in everyone. Yours however falls into the category of superb which I've only given to less people than I have fingers on one hand. Two of my favorite things is your ability to maintain or promote such attractive and diverse coral coloration and the way your tank looks much larger than it is. Also I love aquariums when they get the grown in look with no more visible rock work. The coral diversity is a little higher than what you mite find in a small reef area but who cares the affect is awesome. Are you able to get any glitter lines using T5 bulbs? It looks like color rendition is very nice not overly blue. I really dislike aquariums with 20K only MH bulbs. Well let me stop rambling. Thank you for sharing your aquarium. It's a real work of art!

danano
03/08/2005, 11:23 PM
Steve, you are most welcome! And thanks.:)

You've hit the nail on the head. Coral and color diversity were two of my main objectives when creating the reef slopes you see. To achieve this, I acquired small specimens whenever possible. If too large, I would keep a frag and share the colony with other reefers.

The only time I get some glitter lines is when 2 bulbs that are at least 2 reflectors apart are lit. Other than that, glitter lines are non-existent with T5s.

Dan

honkit
03/09/2005, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by mikeo1210
Are you paying a $100 a colony or per yuma polyp like we do here? You probably see a lot colonies and less fragments for sale.

Nope, it' a lot cheaper.

A small aquacultured colony (with coloured tips but not a solid colour) goes for SGD30 each which works out to be about USD18 bucks.

Yumas are a lot cheaper than floridas as yumas are from neighbouring Indonesia and I got a bright orange yuma rock (with five yumas) for SGD35 @ USD21 bucks.

It's only in recent times that the quality of livestock sold at Singaporean LFSs have improved to the point that they are on par with what the European and American LFSs offer.

Sadly, Malaysian LFSs are still offering run-of-the-mill stuff which I why have to drive to Singapore to pick up good stuff.

Mihai
03/09/2005, 02:17 AM
Man, in this case you have really good growth! Congratulations. This is truly an awesome tank. Awesome is an understatement actually.

M.

danano
03/09/2005, 06:00 AM
Mihai, thanks! When I had my 30g, I had 2 other 20g prop/holding tanks connected to the same system. As you can imagine, they were jam packed with small sps colonies, mostly aquacultured and grown-out frags. Back then, I had already envisioned a larger tank, the 110g you see now.

And Mikeo, no, I don't test for iodine. Similar to aminos, I'm probably under dosing.

pamsreef
03/09/2005, 09:12 AM
Congratulations! Awesome tank. I just added a pair of orchid dottybacks over a month ago. They are getting along fine so I'm hoping they'll become a mated pair.

I admit, I know nothing about T5 lighting, but the lighting in the pics look dark and blue. Didn't know if that's a true representation or the pics. Just wondering how these bulbs compare in the Kelvin to Metal Halides (13K-20K). Personally, I prefer white lighting as opposed to blue.

Another thing I noticed and it may be just me. After all I am female, but looking at the pics in the tank information, the skimmer in the corner in full sight wouldn't work for me. I would have to have it enclosed somehow. Just my opinion.

You're obviously doing something right to keep all the beautiful acros.

Pam

lunarlanderboy
03/09/2005, 10:40 AM
Danano~ I was planning on getting the Tek Lights from reefgeek.com. I assume that is my best option here in the US?

danano
03/09/2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by lunarlanderboy
Danano~ I was planning on getting the Tek Lights from reefgeek.com. I assume that is my best option here in the US?

It does appear so unless ATI start shipping their Powerbalken fixtures over. But first, they'd need to fix the voltage.

Will you be going for the in-canopy retrofit with moisture proof end-caps or the suspended unit?

lunarlanderboy
03/09/2005, 02:33 PM
I don't have a canopy so I would probably get the suspended unit. From reading your article, I would want to get them as close to the water as possible I imagine.

copps
03/09/2005, 04:54 PM
Congratulations Dan! How appropriate for Easter with those beautiful pastel colors!

It's been years since we teamed up at nano-reef to show people what fluorescents were capable of, and it's nice to see how you've carried the science on to larger and deeper systems.

Two very important quotes from your article showing the keys to success with fluorescents are... "The T5 bulbs are no more than three inches from the water surface," and... "Aside from quality T5 tubes, equally important are the mirror finish ATI parabolic reflectors that rest directly on the tubes for maximum reflectivity." Mistakes are made when people suspend fluorescents where halides should be...

I've had success with PCs, a friend with VHOs, and you with the T5s... the common denominator was the two points listed above.

Keep on pioneering!

Copps "aka Brooklyn Johnny";)

onthefly
03/09/2005, 07:19 PM
All I have to say is "ABOUT DAMN TIME!"

Great Job Dan, All of your tanks (your 10, your 30, and now you 110) are amazing. Your tank is my bench mark for my larger projects......I'm think about a 40 BDR with the 8x 39W T5 fixture, what do you think?

BTW Steve Wiest live down the road from me and if you're planning something like that, you should charge admission, I'd pay to see it :)

Nice to see you to Johnny, been a awhile!

quik
03/09/2005, 07:43 PM
Congrats Dan! I've seen your tank on Nano-ref and Now TOTM! Your work and dedication simply amazes me......

Your tank on nano-ref has inspired me to hopefully attain a level yours was in, BUT once again you gone and raised the bar.

Once I've settled in I WILL begin a 30-40g tank.

Also there's a online fish/equipment store called Aquatraders very close to my house in the Bay Area, they have some T-5's from Asia. Would you recommed them?

Thanks,
Mike

fuzz1974
03/09/2005, 08:26 PM
AWESOME!!!!!

Looks real good Dan!! Seems like a happy family over there.

danano
03/09/2005, 10:14 PM
John, thanks bro! I feel as if we've grown up together in this hobby.:) Have you started on your new tank project?

otf, the 39w T5s will work well but the 54w T5s provide more punch. If you can, go for a slightly larger tank. Do you know Steve W. personally? I've never been to Oregon but maybe now there's a reason to... :D

Mike, thanks. I've never used T5s from Asia so can't really comment on the quality. I have seen some new "local" brands in the market and they go for cheap. What I can say is that the German T5s are tried, tested and proven. If you are into sps, then your corals deserve only the very best! (and no, ATI does not sponsor my lights, well, not yet at least :p)

Thanks fuzz!!

quik
03/09/2005, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the advice. ATI bulbs are the proven, with that, does how important would the ballast be if I were to just change bulbs?

Mike

Michael7979
03/10/2005, 01:22 AM
Simply awesome!!!!!!!!

Scleractinian
03/10/2005, 11:20 AM
I've been telling ya'll for over a year that Dan deserved TOTM!

Congrats Danano!

onthefly
03/10/2005, 02:56 PM
Sadly I don't know him personally :( ......wish I did!

But I really like his design, carpentry, and reefing philosophy

yaktop
03/10/2005, 07:55 PM
<As an added precaution, I also have a Fox Controller that I plan to install that will automatically switch the lights off in the event the temperature goes above 84º F>

where do you get this Fox Controller? thanks, I like the idea. Nice set up, some day...............

Project Reef
03/11/2005, 08:01 AM
Dan the man! You are the man, Dan!!

mike9515756
03/11/2005, 12:01 PM
Hi Daniel, stunning tank!!!! Does the fixture come with the ballast or is it seperate? Keep up the amazing work.

Cesar357
03/11/2005, 06:29 PM
Amazing tank. Beautiful.

danano
03/12/2005, 11:00 AM
Quik/Mike951, I have never overdriven my T5 bulbs. There's never been a need to. I'm using the standard ATI Powerbalken fixtures from Germany. The T5 ballasts are built-in.

Thanks Michael, Scleractinian, Project Reer, Mike951, Cesar.
:)

yaktop, the auto shut-off Temperature Controller came as a DIY kit with sensor, electronics and digital display. It's available at specialised electronic stores locally.

Dan

yaktop
03/12/2005, 12:51 PM
is there a way you could enlighten us with part numbers or possibly a contact with one of these stores. I think this device has a high demand and it would be a home run on the DIY section if more information was available.

thanks for your reply.

Skipper
03/12/2005, 05:25 PM
Yaktop: be sure to note that danano is located in Singapore. :)

yaktop
03/12/2005, 05:46 PM
I know but hoping we can stil get something started.

yamaha racer
03/12/2005, 06:05 PM
hey danano i was wondering if my light can do what u are doing in your tank
i have5 t-5s and 4 pc's
* 3 28w true actinic 03
* 2 28w daylighy uv
* 4 20w 50/50 power compact
will that be enough?

yamaha racer
03/12/2005, 06:11 PM
its a 55g

danano
03/13/2005, 01:02 PM
yaktop, I do not have the part numbers/store name. You may want to do a search or look up your local specialised electronic stores, they may be able to direct you to the relevant suppliers. I'll drop you a PM if I am able to find out more info on the parts.

Yamaha, I replied to your PM. In a nutshell, your existing lighting is inadequate (for sps). From your description, your T5s do not appear to be the standard high-output. They will probably work for LPS but not SPS.

Dan

szesteve
03/13/2005, 01:11 PM
Dan,

Any plans to switch to MHs? Do you notice any difference in MHs & T5s for your SPS?

danano
03/13/2005, 01:19 PM
... The T5s have worked really well for me. Colours are somewhat more pastel. Main differences I see compared to MH tanks are less intense purples although I really like how the purple humilis turned out...
Dan

Steve, I have no plans to switch to MH for my current tank. I've discussed some of the reasons in the article. That said, I would consider using MHs plus T5s for a larger setup, i.e. a tank longer than 48" and/or wider (front to back) than 30" and deeper than 24".

szesteve
03/13/2005, 03:01 PM
Steve, I have no plans to switch to MH for my current tank. I've discussed some of the reasons in the article. That said, I would consider using MHs plus T5s for a larger setup, i.e. a tank longer than 48" and/or wider (front to back) than 30" and deeper than 24".

Thanks Dan!

Btw, did you get that pm i sent you regarding Singapore reefing?

mike9515756
03/13/2005, 11:14 PM
Danano, is there any perticular reason you chose T5's over VHO's?

danano
03/14/2005, 12:11 AM
VHOs are not available here and hence, not an option.

danano
03/14/2005, 11:37 AM
Here are a couple of top-view pics I really like. They were taken with one T5 fixture (3 bulbs) switched on; 2x AB Special and 1x Blue Plus.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/3041213Feb05_244rc_danano_purple-neon_green_acro_top_view_50kb.jpg

danano
03/14/2005, 11:40 AM

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/3041213Feb05_248rc_danano_sky_turquoise_humilis_top_view_50kb.jpg

danano
03/14/2005, 11:43 AM
And the blue austera.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/3041213Feb05_235rc_danano_BLUE_macro_50kb.jpg

mike9515756
03/14/2005, 12:19 PM
Danano, are your pics photoshopped?

danano
03/14/2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by mike9515756
Danano, are your pics photoshopped?
Absolutely not. The colors are as you see it, 100% natural. :)

danano
03/14/2005, 12:44 PM
Here's another one of my favorites, a pink w/ blue tip milli.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/3041217Feb05_025rc_danano_pink-blue_tip_milli_macro3_50kb.jpg

reefnewbee
03/14/2005, 01:36 PM
Such inspiration, very nice. Great pics. Question for you....
Do you think success is possible on a smaller scale. I have a 40 gallon with AB-BP-AB-03, I am hoping to get some SPS going towards the top. Flow is about 18x and parameters are excellent. I was thinking I may add a 6.5k and another Ab, what do you think?

Shawn

rjwilson37
03/14/2005, 02:17 PM
Again, your tank is just beautiful.

I have an actinic 03 in my mix of Aquablue and Blue Plus bulbs which is why I think my Blue Acro turned towards the green side. I would love to have a blue Acro as well as a beautiful white one and am thinking on dropping the Actinic 03 and replacing it with a Blue Plus. I had gotten the Actinic 03 for my Zoathid's so to speak, since I read that the Actinic 03 brings out the flourescence in corals and the blue plus brings out the blue in hard corals.

Did you ever use the ATI Actinic's? What are your thoughts on this.

danano
03/14/2005, 09:26 PM
Shawn, I believe you should be able to achieve similar results with your 40g. Adding another 2 bulbs, if possible, is an excellent idea, especially given your plans to keep sps. IMO, the T5 actinics don't do much for sps. If you've got 6 bulbs to play around with, try 4x AB Special and 2x Blue Plus. You could potentially replace one of the ABs with a 6500k but personally, I prefer the AB for its intensity and more complete spectrum.

rj, thanks again. I think you will see better results by replacing the actinic with a Blue Plus. I'm currently running 8 T5 bulbs. If I had 9 or more bulbs, I would consider adding an actinic or two for visual effect, mainly when the other lights are off.

Dan

Cesar357
03/14/2005, 11:51 PM
Unbelievable. I thought that you can only keep SPS under MH. That's one of the reasons I bought my MH, so I can keep these guys. WOW they are awsome shots.

nvert
03/15/2005, 12:30 AM
First: Great tank, especially noting it's lit by t5's. Very interesting!! AND a great success.

Second: I'd LOVE to add an angel to my 120g mixed reef, and like you, have read about the potential problems of keeping them in with clams and lps. I wish I had some insurance to cover a nice pygmy in case they go hog wild. Any more insight other than what you expressed in your article on reefkeeping mag?

Again nice job!

PCIALF
03/15/2005, 05:54 AM
Reel Nice!

SunnyX
03/15/2005, 02:18 PM
Great tank Dan. Keep up the good work. And thanks for giving me the T5 bug....

christine cohen
03/15/2005, 07:21 PM
Your tank is so beautiful… Can you tell me where you got your live rock and live sand from? Thanks Chris

shells
03/15/2005, 10:56 PM
great great tank!!! Love the micro pics!!!
I am setting up a 150g., with 3 MH and 2, T-5's. I am gonna try
a Blue plus, and antenic 03. My M.H. are one 20k in the middle, 400 w., and 2, 250 w, iwaski's on each end. with the T-5's placed
front/back. I'll keep you all up to date on my progress, I've got
the 20k in place now, but no inhabitanets just yet. :)

Skipper
03/15/2005, 10:59 PM
christine cohen: Danano lives in Singapore. :D

shells
03/16/2005, 08:21 AM
Hey Skipper! Just thought i'd say hi to a fellow mississipian.:)

:D

danano
03/16/2005, 12:47 PM
Thank you again for all your support and encouragment!

The T5s have served me well. Then again, so have my Tunze streams and oversized (if there is such a thing) beckett skimmer. And 100% distilled water, etc.

nvert, on pygmies for reef tanks, you've probably heard and read this over and over, there's always an element of risk. I have seen all my pygmies, at some point in time, peck at sps polyps. And sometimes, the growth tips of my monti digis. Fortunately, this happens rarely enough that it does not stress the corals. Besides, with potentially millions of polyps in the tank, it doesn't become a concern. Further, pygmy angels will naturally peck at tissue of unhealthy or stressed corals, further stressing them, so it's important to have a holding tank for your new/recovering specimens, both SPS and LPS. Avoid open brains.

shells, for your 2x T5s, why not go with both Blue-Plus? They would do a better job balancing out the 2x Iwasaki's. Have you started a thread showing your progress on the new setup? Do keep us posted.

Dan

Aseidman
03/16/2005, 02:27 PM
Nice tank. Question...If I undestand your article correctly, you are not running metal halides, just T5's ? I have a 30 Gallon x-high (24 inches tall) with 130 Watts of Power Compacts.

How do Power Compacts compare to T5's ? Any chance I can heep SPS to your knowledge ? Do the T5's product a lot of heat (compared to PC's and MH's) ?

Thanks,
Allen

Thuggin
03/16/2005, 04:02 PM
Incredible tank... When I grow up I wanna have a gorgeous tank like you! Im just starting my first reef tank.

honkit
03/16/2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Aseidman
Nice tank. Question...If I undestand your article correctly, you are not running metal halides, just T5's ? I have a 30 Gallon x-high (24 inches tall) with 130 Watts of Power Compacts.

How do Power Compacts compare to T5's ? Any chance I can heep SPS to your knowledge ? Do the T5's product a lot of heat (compared to PC's and MH's) ?

Thanks,
Allen

You could try some of the easier SPS corals like monti caps and monti digitatas near the top of your tank.

HO (High Output) T5 bulbs when used together with individual parabolic reflectors are much brighter than power compact bulbs and generate less heat as well. Another advantage is that you can put more of these T5 bulbs over your tank as they are slimmer in diameter.

I keep 14 SPS colonies with six HO T5 bulbs and several of them have begun to colour up since I put them into my tank a couple of weeks ago.

danano
03/16/2005, 09:45 PM
Thanks Allen, Thuggin.:)

Allen, you are correct, I am only running T5s. 432watts in total.

With your 24" tall tank, I think your 130watts of PCs will work for less light demanding sps at shallower depths. Some monti caps and digis, especially the lime green variety should do well and even hold color. The fast growing brown birdsnest is fine. Porites, as well as some encrusting montis too. You can also try the green bali slimer, pink tip pocillopora and some hardy acros.

I was able to maintain some color with sps in my previous 10g nano under 165w PC. The tank was only 12" tall. With PCs, you would need to keep them no more than 8" from the water surface to get decent results.

T5s run cooler than PCs. T5s radiate less heat as well. MHs generate the most heat. The light intensity and spectrum of the ATI T5s are suitable for keeping a wide variety of sps. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for PCs.

If you are seriously considering keeping sps, lighting is but one consideration. T5s and/or MH will do the job. PCs barely cut it but will work for a few species. More importantly, and as you probably know, ideal water conditions and flow are essential.

Dan

Fzech
03/16/2005, 10:41 PM
Very nise tank!!!beer: :) I like the T5 Light.:smokin: Nise Multicolor angel:thumbsup.:thumbsup:

Thanks, Fzech

shells
03/17/2005, 12:27 PM
Hi Dan! thanks for the imput on the t-5's. I was not sure about
the combo and was really guessing at it. :)

here's my tank:)

http://image26.webshots.com/27/6/95/45/297069545CWNunT_ph.jpg

***Fixed picture link***

shells
03/17/2005, 12:29 PM
Dan,
PS if the link does not work, you can find my tank pic in
the photography forum. :)

Myrphie
03/17/2005, 06:43 PM
Very impressive tank! :cool:

Do you have any detailed pictures of your overflow? I'm rather curious about that set-up. Thanks!

smbrown15
03/17/2005, 08:02 PM
Dan,

Fantastic! Question about lighting. I have a 55 with 130watt pc's (smartlights which are 1/2 white, 1/2 actinic) and softies. Looking at lighting and your tank is very convincing. My hood has limited space and heat is a big concern. I would like to try SPS but need to upgrade. Your tank is very convincing. I'm thinking 4 T5's would fit. If so, what bulb combination would you think to be effective?
thanks,
Steve

danano
03/17/2005, 10:10 PM
Myrphie, glad you like it! Will take close-up shots of the overflow and post them later.

Steve, if you are restricted to 4 bulbs, 4x AB Specials would be ideal for sps but may not be too pleasing visually - it'll be very white. With that in mind, you could add a Blue Plus bulb. Depending on your tank dimensions, you could potentially squeeze in 6x T5s with narrow reflectors. The sleek and compact Tek T5 hanging fixtures may work for you. With this, you would need to do away with your hood. Something to consider. With 6 bulbs, 4x AB Special and 2x Blue Plus should do the trick.

Dan

smbrown15
03/17/2005, 10:35 PM
Dan,
Will take your suggestion under due consideration.

Thanks!

dodgerblew
03/18/2005, 12:00 AM
Incredible tank...My complements and congratulations...you deserve it :)

joelsaxton
03/18/2005, 02:37 PM
How do you fit 80+ SPS corals in such a small tank? Geesh. Looks really good. I have always been curious about T5. My current tank is a 240 with MH and VHO.

pipsreefs
03/18/2005, 06:10 PM
Hi All

That is one very very very nice tank :D :D
I wish we could get corals that colour over here.

Happy Reefkeeping :D

Andy

Skipper
03/18/2005, 06:17 PM
Pipsreefs:

[welcome]

tabwyo
03/19/2005, 05:40 PM
My friend, that is a lovely tank. Absoloutly lovely.

sunny d polyp
03/19/2005, 10:37 PM
Truly a beautiful display Dan, I'm starting a 90/gal invert and have been researching T-5's, I've come up with 6X54 watt T-5's. Will that be enough for the 90 and keep sps? Also what combo of lights would you recomend? Great job!

ericandchrissy
03/20/2005, 07:05 PM
Gorgeous Tank...Congrats! My pendant uses T-5's as actinic supplementation , they're awesome!

MUCHO REEF
03/20/2005, 08:03 PM
I'm speechless............great job, .....absolutely beautiful.

Mucho Reef

danano
03/20/2005, 08:34 PM
All, thanks for the very kind words! :)

Joel, I hunt for small specimens and grow out some from frags, that's how I fit them all in. The reefscape is equally important to allow "ideal" placement for most of them. Besides, the light spread of T5s allows edge-to-edge placement of sps.

Sunny, what you have in mind should suffice for keeping sps. Try a bulb combo consisting of 4x AB Special and 2x Blue Plus bulbs. Depending on your preference, you could potentially mix in a Sun Pro or an Actinic (replacing one AB Special). The T5s should be placed close to the water (~3").

Dan

absolom
03/21/2005, 01:58 AM
danano, Why did you decide to go with 54 watters instead of 80 watters? I got a aquarium that is 150cm in lenght, 50 cm in depth and 65 cm in hight, and I´m little afraid of just taking the 54 watters, I want to keep sps and clams on the bottom but I dont know if I should go 54, 80 or MH 250 watters. So my question is what would you take and why? I live in Sweden so I´m also going for the ATI fixtures, they have a new fixture called powermodule and it should be even better then the powerbalken.

danano
03/21/2005, 11:22 AM
Absolom, the 54 watters are 4ft (122cm), the same length as my tank.

For your 59" (150cm) long by 20" (50cm) wide tank, I would recommend going with the 80w T5s for maximum light coverage.

If your tank were slightly wider, space permitting, I'd go for 4x 250w DE MH plus as many T5s as I can squeeze in front and back. That way, you get the best of both worlds.

sunny d polyp
03/21/2005, 11:39 PM
Thanks danano, are the A/B's mostly blue or white?

danano
03/22/2005, 12:21 AM
The AB's (11000K) are very white.

pamela1964
03/23/2005, 02:44 AM
WOW. Simply beautiful. Art, science, and nature peacfully co-existing in your living room. What an inspiration! Your photography and writing are also excellent. Thanks for sharing.

jeffrylie
03/23/2005, 04:15 AM
Congratulations . i have never came across such a pretty tank ! awesome !

jeffrylie
03/23/2005, 04:18 AM
Hey danano ,

sup , how ya ? which part singapore u stay?

i used to stay at tanjong rhu . and i only browse marine shop at the east . how about u?

Fuzzball
03/23/2005, 07:49 AM
What can I say bro!!! Your Tank is Awesome and has always been an inspiration for all of us here in Singapore...

:p

Fuzz

dwdenny
03/25/2005, 09:29 PM
I would have to say that your tank is great and that is coming from an AGGIE. LOL Wow what can anyone say but great keep it up.

bobowe
03/26/2005, 01:49 AM
Lets see it in 10 Years. Only then will I call it a nice tank!!!!!

FastUno
03/26/2005, 03:10 AM
Okay, here comes a curve ball. I have posted this before in another thread, so I will simply quote myself. Was wondering if you had any such experiences? By looking at your tank it seems that your SPS's have grown well & as a result provide a good enough shade for your lower LPS & softies. If I had to do it all over again I would start out with only SPS corals, let them grow out to provide shade for the LPS & softies that I would add down the road.

"For instance I will give you some of the issues that I have had:

-Mushrooms- I have red mushrooms that simply dont like the light, they shrivel up & dont look pretty. When I place them in the shade they appear back to normal. This happend on my 55g & the new 90g (24" deep). Mushrooms were always on the floor.
Same goes true with my purple mushrroms. My purple ones are not in shade in my 90g, but have turned an awesome purple now, before in my 55g they were getting paler.

-Torch- when I moved my torch from my 55g, where it was lower in the tank (about 40% from ground on a 20" tank) to about 60% off ground on a 24" it bleached!!! Within 3 days or so it really bleached badly. This time though, the torch was in the back more, more under the aquablues & less under the Blue+, perhaps this is the reason? Never thought this one would bleach, for I have heard it was light loving!

-Pocillipora- This one is up in the air, because I started to use Crystal Sea marinemix salt. Others who have used this reported their Pocilliporas to bleach, so it may have been the salt.
3 frags of poc bleached on me though. IS ANYONE ABLE TO KEEP POCILLIPORA UNDER T5's? Just want to know if it was the salt or lights.

-Toadstool- I have 2 of these. One of them, the one that used to be lower in my 55g tank started to get lighter, when I brought it down it started getting some color back, but not completely. When moved to my 90g it went back to normal. I noticed this also about the time that I used Crystal Sea salt & have heard others report their toadstools completely bleaching.

Colt- Could be salt? This one completely bleached. Since moved to 90g it has gained some color back.

-Green brain- Again always on the bottom of the tank. Another coral that does not appreciate the direct light. It has better color now that its in a deeper tank.

-Maze brain- Another one that started to get white. It has always been at the bottom. Since being moved to my 90 it has gained color back.

-Monti cap- I have had this cap on the same rock work & height in my 55 & 90g. On my 55g it started to get lighter & lighter over time. Now in my new 90g (which is about 4" deeper) it has assumed an AWESOME thick rich color. Interesting enough, I had a second piece that was higher in my 55g tank, but shaded by a PVC pipe. This one never got lighter. They are both the same awesome color now.

Hope I don't scare anyone! I have many other corals that are really AWESOME in color & doing just fine, I will list a few:
-galaxia- loves the light & is growing
-frogspawn- awesome green color
-fuzzy green mushroom- they are on top & love the light, have grown 3-4x
-Rics- are at bottom & are growing & splitting. When I originally had them at higher, they did not like it.
-Zoos- are all doing fine. I had one set that did not like it at the bottom of my 55 & now are awesome in color & appearance
-Dig cap- growing & doing fine
-Toadstool- The green one I have is doing great, never any problems, it is the yellow one that I had issues with.
GSP- never any problems with
Xenia- doing fine & great purple tint
Red Lobo- doing fine. This one changed color from more of a red to a pink. Its more under the Blue+/Actinic side. Now since the move its a darker pink.
Kenya Tree- Awesome color, never any problems & growing like
mad."

http://www.pbase.com/fastuno/image/41229908.jpg

danano
03/26/2005, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by bobowe
Lets see it in 10 Years. Only then will I call it a nice tank!!!!!

In 10 years, you may get to see a 500g tank with 1000g sump. :D That's currently my dream, which will hopefully turn into a plan and eventually a reality in a few years.:p

bobowe, I noticed that it's your first post here at Reef Central. Welcome to RC!!

Dan

danano
03/26/2005, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by pamela1964
WOW. Simply beautiful. Art, science, and nature peacfully co-existing in your living room. What an inspiration! Your photography and writing are also excellent. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the compliment Pamela! I'm glad you enjoyed the pics and article. :)

danano
03/26/2005, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by dwdenny
I would have to say that your tank is great and that is coming from an AGGIE. LOL Wow what can anyone say but great keep it up.

Thanks Denny. Has the season started this year? I've not been keeping up with the conference schedule. Are the Aggies or Longhorns ruling this year?

Hook 'em!:D

Dan

danano
03/26/2005, 05:46 AM
FastUno, your analysis of the lighting requirements of LPS/softies is pretty much spot on. I keep the few LPS and softies that I have in low light or shaded areas.

Blastos are largely shaded.

The monti caps are also in lower regions and only then does the color deepen. The only exception would be the purple rim that I give more light for it to develop stronger purple growth edges. The pinkish-orange cap also requires more light.

As for the pocillopora, I give the bright yellow and hot pink strong light. Other than that, they seem to do fine with less light and tend to be quite versatile corals.

Steve Ruddy
03/26/2005, 10:37 AM
In 10 years, you may get to see a 500g tank with 1000g sump

I wish I had the space by the way what are you going to do in such a large sump?

danano
03/26/2005, 10:56 AM
Steve, I hope to have that kind of space one day. The large sump water volume would result in more stable water parameters and conditions. Space permitting, the larger the sump the better. Part of the sump system may consist of a propogation facility.

Ti
03/26/2005, 04:52 PM
I've experienced similar problems with my T5 as uno here.
Some corals just won't tolerate direct T5 exposrure, the bleach and end up dying if not moved to the shade.
I've stopped buying brains cause I have no more shady spots left in the tank.

benray4fun
03/26/2005, 11:33 PM
Ya mon,
now that's a reef tank for your _ss! Man, we all know you went all out with time, effort, $$$$$$$$$$$$ and love of the hobby! That really looks like a piece of the great barrier reef....
You're truly an artist of the sea....

dwdenny
03/27/2005, 08:18 AM
Thanks Denny. Has the season started this year? I've not been keeping up with the conference schedule. Are the Aggies or Longhorns ruling this year?

Hook 'em!:D

Dan
Sad to say that is has not yet started this year. About August/September hopw this is a better year for the Ags as we have not been able to beat the Horns in 5 years maybe six now. But if the AGs cannot win I wiuld rather have the Horns win. Just wanted to say great looking tank.

tampa-reefer
03/28/2005, 01:23 AM
I think your tank is on my top 10 best looking tanks ....... And ive seen alot of them. Its awesome........... You sparked my intrest in T5's, a while back when I first saw your tank. I have showed your picture and article to many, and they drop there jaws when they findout its T5.

;)

Marcello Salles
03/28/2005, 07:09 AM
Hi Danano,

thx for sharing this beauty with us.

My question is about your reflector. It seems to me that its a flat / plain reflector. Isn't better to have individual reflectors for each lamp ?? Or do you think its not necessary ??

You know ... I am reading a lot about T5 prior to my first buy, hope you understand.

rgds

Marcello
Rio de Janeiro
Brazil

danano
03/28/2005, 10:43 AM
Thanks tampa-reefer et al!;)

Marcello, they are in fact individual reflectors that rest directly on each bulb. Perhaps the picture you see in the article should have been titled 'Top view of T5 fixtures' instead. If you look closely at the 2nd fixture, you can actually see the white end cap and reflector of the left most bulb.

Manuel Martinez
03/28/2005, 10:45 AM
Congratulations Danano, your tank is really spectacular.

I'm new in the hobby, but I almost have all the equipment to make a reef aquarium, I have some marine rocks, but doesn't have live organism because they stay out of the water for many days, I would like to know how to propagate corals full of colors like you.

smbrown15
03/28/2005, 07:16 PM
danano,

You may have answered this but I've lost track since the thread is so long :D

One thing about this hobby is you ask two people and get three opinions! Just asking another! I recently went from 1" aragonite to bare bottom. My water quality is now perfect. BUT...I'm not thrilled with the look. I was looking to reduce maintenance, which I've achieved. You've had great success with your deep sand bed. What are your thoughts on the balance between maintenance and a healthy tank?

danano
03/29/2005, 06:56 AM
Thanks Manuel! Well, the broad answer to your question is pretty much covered in the article. However, personally, I would say it takes total commitment and dedication to the complete captive reef system and live stock. Plan in advance what you intend to keep. Careful research and discussing your plans with more experienced reefers is also helpful. And you've come to the right place, Reef Central is an invaluable resource for both newbies and experienced reefers alike. It's a never-ending learning process.

There are various schools of thought out there on how best to achieve good results. Find out as much as you can and make an informed decision thereafter. If you have specific questions, feel free to post here or PM me, I'd be happy to answer them.

smbrown, I think there is a direct correlation between regular maintenance and a healthy tank over the long run. Frequent water changes, regular cleaning of the skimmer, vacuuming of detritus (DSB or BB tanks) and monitoring water parameters are some of the more important ones. Close observation of your corals and fish also plays an important part. With time, you should be able to tell if something is amiss.

tntwasden, for some reason, I did not receive your email. Please resend or drop me a PM. It would be great if you could identify who you are and where you're from as well. Thanks!

Dan

SmartWrasse
03/29/2005, 10:14 PM
Fantastically beautiful reef! Unreal beauty!

james_uk
03/30/2005, 06:30 AM
Hi danano,
Really nice tank, great work. May I ask how much rowaphos and carbon you get through each month?

danano
03/30/2005, 09:57 AM
Thanks SmartWrasse, James!:)

James, I use about 100g of carbon and 200ml of rowa monthly. Not much really. If the tank looks fine, I may change it out every other month.

danano
03/30/2005, 10:08 AM
Montis in my prop tank. The prop now looks more like a mini reef tank!:p It was only a matter of time.:D

I orginally used eggcrate in the prop but recently replaced it with LR to allow easier multi-level placement of an assortment of coral frags and specimens - SPS, LPS and rics. It's BB.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/3041230Mar05_rainbow_monti_019rc_totm.jpg

fishboy420
03/31/2005, 10:19 PM
as i said in the subject line, i really do like the tank of the month... & i really hope that the senior editor wasnt serious about getting rid of it for good. i always looked forward to seeing the next tank every month... gee i one day hoped i could get mine in there, i am a sucker for perfection. i loved to see what equipment setups they have. also i liked seeing the different species of fish & inverts they keep!!! please say it isnt sooo, dont get rid of the tank of the month. dont listen to sick & tired he is not worth a second thought of an opinion. i enjoy every section you guys have in the mag. & forum... i wondered if anyone can direct me to a good frogfish article or discussion.

ReefWaters
03/31/2005, 11:03 PM
fishboy420 I hate to say it but it sounds like you fell for a classic April Fools joke....

Skipper
03/31/2005, 11:07 PM
:lol:

BucWheat
03/31/2005, 11:09 PM
Hehe... the whole issue that is up now is a joke. It has some very funny articles. I kind of knew something was up when I saw the Yellow Tang had an elephant trunk and the url had fools in it :)

Awesome, I like a little humor every now and then.

Skipper
03/31/2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by BucWheat
Hehe... the whole issue that is up now is a joke. It has some very funny articles. I kind of knew something was up when I saw the Yellow Tang had an elephant trunk and the url had fools in it :)

Awesome, I like a little humor every now and then. Hmmm... n/m. :D

Cesar357
04/01/2005, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by ReefWaters
fishboy420 I hate to say it but it sounds like you fell for a classic April Fools joke....

It's not even April yet. Well it will be in a couple of hours but I saw that posted earlier today. I hope it is a joke because I really really enjoy The Tank of The Month. That's what makes us reefers work harder on our tanks. I really hope that was an April fools joke.

danano
04/01/2005, 05:49 AM
:bounce1: :bounce2: :bounce3:

staunched
04/03/2005, 09:40 AM
awesome bud.. cant believe the colour under t5's.. really impressive.. how long has most of the acro been in there?

danano
04/03/2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by staunched
awesome bud.. cant believe the colour under t5's.. really impressive.. how long has most of the acro been in there?

Thanks! Most of the corals are between 6 months to 2+ years.

staunched
04/03/2005, 07:54 PM
awseome mate.. im definately getting some t5's for my fuge to start with.. eh do u get much acanthastrea over there?

danano
04/05/2005, 11:52 PM
Acans do come in occasionally but no where near the variety that you get. I've seen some amazing stuff in your forums.

danano
04/12/2005, 10:03 AM
After much research and reading up on the pros and cons of a DSB, I finally did "it". I removed the DSB.:eek1:

I have also been wanting to lower the reef flat/slope to make more room for growth. This was the added impetus.

It was not an easy decision but I figured it was only a matter of time, less getting a larger tank. But that's at least a few years away.

On April 2nd, with the help of 3 reefing buddies (the first 6 hours of my 17 hour undertaking), I removed the DSB and lowered the entire reefscape!:D

Here are the steps I took:
11:30 Prepared 4x 30g tubs; 3 to house the corals and 1 to hold the LR
11:45 Switched off return pumps for the main tank leaving the sump, prop tank and skimmer running as a standalone system
12:00 Added 10g of freshly mixed salt water into each tub (using oxygenated distilled water) and mixed in 10g of tank water into each tub as well
12:30 Removed all the sps and most of the lps
13:30 Removed all the LR
14:30 Siphoned and scooped out about 80% of the sand leaving behind a thin 1/2" to 1" layer
15:30 Fish, clams and some LPS remained in the tank the whole time in about 40 gallons of water; mixed 40 gallons of freshly made salt water using oxygenated distilled water and topped up the main tank
16:30 Activated return pumps and complete system was running again; water began to clear
17:30 Rebuilt reefscape with 100lbs of LR; lowering the top of the
original reefscape by about 5 inches
18:30 - 04:30 Added back all the corals and connected the 3 streams

I was butt tired by the time I was done but now, just over a week later, I feel it was well worth the effort and back ache! :p

All the fish made it with the exception of one green chromis that I've kept for almost 2 years.:(

A few of the corals were stressed and the colors slightly washed out from the change but after 3 days, I noticed a gradual improvement in their health and colors. :)

There were 4 sps colony and 3 frag casualties. These were the ones that sat in the holding tubs the longest. On hindsight, I should have just placed all of them back in the tank first and work on their placement thereafter.

I had to frag the large thin branch blue staghorn to fit it back in. This fast grower is now spread out in 3 spots in the tank.

I removed (gave away) a few corals and added a few from the prop tank as well.

With the lowered reefscape, the Tunze streams are now visible. One is stacked on top of the other at the rear left corner and the 3rd is on the right.

Here's the tank, 9 days later.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/danano1/10Apr05020rcrescape2Apr05.jpg

Steve Ruddy
04/12/2005, 05:13 PM
Just curious about the cons of a DSB. I have been using them for about 12 or more years and aren't aware of any. If you have any interesting links I would be interested. It sure didn't look like your bed was causing you any problems other than space.

Thanks.

staunched
04/12/2005, 08:27 PM
heres an interesting thread on dsb's.. have u had one running for 12 years steve or several dif ones over that period? http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=263482&highlight=dsb+article

danano
04/12/2005, 09:26 PM
Steve, thanks for your comments. Space was becoming a major consideration and it was only a matter of time before I had to do a major rescape short of setting up a larger tank and with the "little one" due in August :D, I figured now was as good a time as any to do it. I was not having any problems with my semi-DSB but for peace of mind, I removed it at the same time as I did not intend to go through the back-breaking task again should the need arise.

Besides, as I discovered that my 8x 54w T5s were enough to color up a variety of sps at lower levels in the tank, lowering the structure was plausible. Something I've been thinking about doing of late.

Dan

staunched
04/12/2005, 09:54 PM
eh danano can u post some close ups of your acanthastrea please.. would be much appreciated.. tanks lookin hot

Silicone
04/23/2005, 09:02 AM
Hi dan

Do you think the tubes will last 12 months before they need replacing? I am close to converting to T5 only but the tube replacement costs would be an issue for me if they wont last a year.

PS superb tank!

danano
04/25/2005, 12:19 PM
I think the T5s will last more than 12 months. I've been using my current set for almost a year and colors are holding well. I was originally planning to change them out every 12 months but may stretch it out to 18 months or longer.

In my prop tank, the frags are under 24w T5s that are about 2 years old and sps colors are still good.

And thanks!:)

Ti
05/02/2005, 09:29 PM
This tank still beats the current TOTM. =)

danano
05/03/2005, 12:52 AM
Ti, thanks for your support.

But I feel it's not so much about competition but simply about sharing one's dedication, passion, commitment and discipline/husbandry.

TOTM gives us such an opportunity. At the same time, we learn from one another.

It's also about providing an ideal captive environment for our tanks inhabitants (as best as we can) - that's the least we can do.;)

Dan

akolster
05/23/2005, 12:14 AM
Danano,

Just saw your tank (been away from Reefkeepers for a while). Very nice indeed!!

Quick question. I notice you have a 1/3 hp Arctica chiller under your stand. What do you do with all the hot air it blows out??

Your idea for a redundant chiller is a good one. Something I might consider.

Arno

danano
05/23/2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks Arno!

The chiller is angled slightly outwards. My tank stand has only front doors and is open at the back and on the sides. Hence, the ventilation is good - no problems with trapped heat.

My living room windows are to the right of the tank, allowing some of the heat to escape.

Dan

danano
05/27/2005, 01:15 PM
It has been almost 2 months since the major rescape.

Here's how it looks today.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/danano1/27May05005danano.jpg

Skipper
05/27/2005, 06:33 PM
:thumbsup: Beautiful!!!

cecilturtle
05/28/2005, 02:15 AM
Postcard baby.........

Awesome tank Dan.

danano
05/28/2005, 12:03 PM
Thanks Skipper, Cecil! Glad you like it.;)

Here's a close-up of my yellow tenuis.

And I'm waiting patiently for my staghorns to grow out again.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/danano1/27May05044yellowtenuisclose-up.jpg

Briankook
05/28/2005, 12:20 PM
danano, how do you get such brilliant coloration on your Acros? I think they are beautiful. When you initially bought your SPS, were they colorful? I bought a "blue" Acro about 3 months ago & it tripled in size, but it is brown, not blue. It was that color from the day I bought it. Perhaps I need to find one already with some good color, then I can hopefully maintain its color. Like I said, growth is not a problem with me, its the color. :( I'm searching for answers before I buy another one.

danano
05/28/2005, 12:47 PM
Brian, looks like you have a pretty solid reef system running. And I presume your water parameters and flow are optimal. Strange, you should be able to keep color in your sps.

Some sps, once brown, may take a long period to regain color. I have seen a few in some tanks that never color up, not even in ideal conditions.

Try starting off with a specimen with good color. I don't see any reason why you can't maintain it.

And to answer your question, yes. I tend to buy sps that are colorful to begin with and so far, have been able to maintain their original color. The brown ones I got that have colored up nicely in captivity include the pink stylopora and some of the milliporas.

Dan

Briankook
05/28/2005, 12:57 PM
Dan, great info! I will try with a good looking specimen & based on my water parameters, lighting & flow, it should really keep a nice color. Occasionally, my Alk drops below 8dKh, but I dose Seachem reef builder & it brings my level back up. All other parameters are target. Thanks again for your info, your tank is one of the nicest I have seen!

danano
05/28/2005, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't be overly concerned about Alk dropping below 8dKH.

Mine drops to 7 at times but I try to maintain it at around 8.

paulustkchan
06/17/2005, 01:54 AM
Excellent job. I also use T5HO for all my lighting. I am using 3 Narva blue, is it the same as the one you use?

danano
06/24/2005, 11:44 AM
Paul, thanks. I am not familiar with the blue bulb you mentioned.

Bartlett anthias on the reef top.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/danano1/23Jun05012danano1.jpg

Since adding the anthias, daily feeding is now routine. This also means more frequent or larger water changes to keep nutrient levels in check.

danano
06/25/2005, 10:14 AM
T5 bulbs are almost 15 months old and sps colors are still holding.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/danano1/23Jun05008danano.jpg

poon415
06/25/2005, 12:15 PM
Danano what actinic T-5 bulbs do you recomend? Which do you use?

danano
06/26/2005, 12:27 PM
Poon, I currently run 5x Aquablue Special and 3x Blue Plus. I don't use any pure actinics. I would consider adding an actinic if my fixture could take 9 bulbs and if I did, it would be more for aesthetics and night time viewing.

TryTheChi
07/04/2005, 07:35 AM
Superb Tank Danano!!

I'm just about to set up a 4.5 x 2x 2 ft tank luckily for me with much of the equipment you have so I'm very encouraged by what is possible.

Discussion about the filtration you use has been sparce....what kind of refugium do you opperate, its on reverse photoperiod I know, but do you use MM of Carib Mineral Mud?

Do you use any of the ZeoVit products? Your tank looks as superb as the Zeovit example tanks do.....

If not do you use MArc Weise amino acids?

Do you use Rowaphos and Carbon coniniously and are these fluidised?

I think you may have spawned the Danano Methoth....:cool:

Many thanks

loc01
07/06/2005, 05:55 AM
danano
I wish I could see your tank in person. They're awesome colors.

Thanks for sharing,
Loc

ahchung
07/21/2005, 11:28 AM
This is really one of the best SPS tanks I have ever seen!

Based on what you achieved, I would like to buy ATI bulbs and ATI reflectors. I lived in HK and I could not locate an ATI reseller here.

Where do you get the ATI stuff in Singapore? If you bought them from a LFS, can you send me the email address or address of the LFS? I might be able to ask a friend of mine who lives in Singapore to buy the ATI stuff for me.

Thanks in advance!

danano
08/23/2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks Chi, Loc, Chung!

Chi, my refugium consists of mostly LR and some corals. Little macroalgae. No miracle mud, no sand. It's bare bottom.

What's Zeovit? :p

I do dose amino acids daily - all brands work IMO, I have used Kent, Salifert and Koralin.

I use minimal amounts of Rowa and carbon. Not fluidised.

Chung, the ATI distributor/retailer here has stopped carrying ATI T5 products. I am sourcing for a new supplier. I may just ship from Germany direct.

Dan

danano
08/23/2005, 10:36 AM
Some of the staghorns have grown up to 2 inches in the past 2 months!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/danano1/danano22Aug05001a.jpg

danano
08/23/2005, 10:38 AM

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/danano1/danano22Aug05003a.jpg

danano
08/23/2005, 10:40 AM
View from the top.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/danano1/8Jul05004danano.jpg

danano
08/23/2005, 10:43 AM
One more pic taken from the efflo corner.;)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/danano1/danano22Aug05006a.jpg

nbd13
08/23/2005, 11:32 AM
hows that regal angel doing for you? nipping at all?

also do you have any updated fish list?

thanks!

Nick

majesticangelfish
08/23/2005, 11:42 AM
beautiful!:thumbsup::D

Tagareef
08/23/2005, 11:56 AM
Your reef is as gorgeous as ever...you have me seriously looking into T5 lighting to replace or maybe enhance my current lighting scheme.

bennyinca
08/23/2005, 12:58 PM
That is a fantastic tank!!! What type and how many ballasts do you use for your 8 T5s?

bennyinca
08/23/2005, 12:58 PM
That is a fantastic tank!!! What type and how many ballasts do you use for your 8 T5s?

danano
08/27/2005, 06:56 AM
Thanks Majestic, Taga, Benny! :)

nbd, I've had the Red Sea regal for about 5 months. It did not take to Formula 1 and 2 pellets till month 4. Now it eats anything I throw in the tank. I believe all angels, no matter how "reef safe" they may be, have a natural tendency to take occasional nips at almost everything. The regal is no exception but all in all, it has been a good reef citizen. There was a brief period it took a fancy to acan lords!:eek: This was before it discovered a taste for pellets.

Since the major rescape in April, I've added the regal, 3 more orchid dottybacks and the anthias you see in the picture.

benny, I use ATI T5 fixtures. Each fixture comes with 2 T5 e-ballasts allowing me to stagger the timing of the lights. I haven't taken the fixture apart before so I haven't actually seen the type/brand of ballasts used.

Dan

BenjieC
08/27/2005, 07:29 AM
what a beautiful tank! Those colors are just incredible. :eek1:

Man I want an SPS tank so BAD!!!! :mad2:

I wish I could see it it person, I know it would be even more impressive.

Floridiot
09/10/2005, 06:25 AM
T5 bulbs are almost 15 months old and sps colors are still holding.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/danano1/23Jun05008danano.jpg

Have you replaced these bulbs yet?

danano
09/10/2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Floridiot
Have you replaced these bulbs yet?
No, I haven't. The bulbs are still going strong! :)

Floridiot
09/10/2005, 10:10 AM
No, I haven't. The bulbs are still going strong! :)

Wow. I was just about to buy my MH system, but now I'm really leaning towards the ATI T5s. This way I could also build an enclosed hood for my system instead of hanging a fixture from the ceiling.

I was planning on an open topped aquarium in effort to dissipate the heat generated from MHs. With T5s I could easily build an enclosed hood with a couple of quiet vent fans at the top to release the hot air. I really like enclosed hoods because they eliminate the stray light.

Decisions, decisions....

ahchung
09/10/2005, 12:06 PM
I plan to set up a 36" x 18" x 18" SPS tank running ATI reflectors and ATI bulbs. How many bulbs would you recommend?

Tentatively, I am planning to set up 3 AquaBlue Special and 3 BluePlus. I don't know the width of an ATI reflector and so I don't know how many bulb exactly I can fit.

May I ask for your expertise opinion?

danano
09/11/2005, 10:01 AM
chung, 6 bulbs should work nicely. Your planned blub combination may be a little too blue, unless that's what you're after. Try swapping out one of the Blue Plus with an AB Special.

Where do you plan on getting your reflectors and bulbs from? The supplier here no longer carries ATI T5s. You may want to check with your local LFS to see what alternative German T5 brands they carry.

ahchung
09/11/2005, 10:25 AM
Thanks for your recommendation! I will buy 4 AB Special and 3 Blue Plus and try out which combination is the best. :)

The reef hobbyists in Hong Kong plan to make a bulk order to Germany to order the bulbs and reflectors. By sharing the shipping cost, we would be able to enjoy the best T5HO technology in the world with reasonable price.

I hope this can be done. I am very exciting at the moment! :bounce1:

danano
09/28/2005, 10:07 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/danano1/danano19Sep05018redsearegal.jpg

I've had my yellow-belly Regal for about 7 months. It was 3" when I first got it. It's grown ever so slightly, so possibly 3.5" now. It took my Regal 4 months to start taking pellets and now it eats anything I throw in the tank. In the first 4 months, it relied on food off the LR and acan lord polyps! Yes, you heard right, acanthastrea lordhowensis! It did not devour the acans but it would pick at a polyp or two every other time it swam by. Fortunately, it discovered a taste for pellets and I was able to gradually wean it off acans. The acans have since recovered.

I would say my Regal has not always been a model reef citizen but for its beauty, I was prepared to forego all my LPS.

I have a patch of zoos that it has never touched.

danano
09/28/2005, 10:16 AM
Regal and friends in a feeding frenzy.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/danano1/danano19Sep05027regalandfriends.jpg

majesticangelfish
09/28/2005, 10:28 AM
Awesome mate, Please Keep the pics coming!

TryTheChi
10/02/2005, 05:32 AM
I keep comming back here for inspiration:)

Danano, how long after set up did you start putting in SPS frag?

Any advic on my tank from this link would be very much appreciated:

http://www.reefpark.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=14927

THanks Again

SImon

sharemaster
10/18/2005, 02:04 PM
That tank looks cool as danano really good choices on stocking hats of to you. :D However...... I still see space at the back just there what you saving that for!! ;)

danano
12/13/2005, 12:01 PM
Some updates

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/danano1/01Nov05danano002aa.jpg

danano
12/13/2005, 12:02 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/danano1/01Nov05danano032aa.jpg

danano
12/13/2005, 12:08 PM
digitata, seriatopora and capricornis

... and my little 'mystery' :)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/danano1/21Nov05danano017mystery.jpg

danano
12/13/2005, 12:10 PM
A view from "efflo corner"

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/danano1/01Nov05danano007aa.jpg

Floridiot
12/13/2005, 05:58 PM
Have you replaced your bulbs yet?

Skipper
12/13/2005, 06:15 PM
Looking sweet, Dan!!!!

danano
12/15/2005, 03:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6278768#post6278768 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Floridiot
Have you replaced your bulbs yet?
Not yet.

Thanks Skip! ;)

Floridiot
12/15/2005, 04:45 PM
Well, I'm now officially going to go with T5s instead of MH. My tank is 52" x 26" x 26". I know many people will say that 26" tall is too deep for T5s, but I'm going to try them anyways.

I can fit 9 each of the Icecap SLR reflectors across the top of my tank. What bulb combination would you recommend danano?

If I remember correctly, you're running 5 AB specials and 3 BLUE+. If you could add one more bulb, what would it be?

danano
12/16/2005, 12:18 PM
AB Special

smokez01
01/18/2006, 12:33 PM
hey danano, do u have ur t5 fixture resting on the edge of the tank, or did you purchase any 'legs' to hold it up?

danano
02/02/2006, 10:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6529390#post6529390 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smokez01
hey danano, do u have ur t5 fixture resting on the edge of the tank, or did you purchase any 'legs' to hold it up?
The fixture brackets rest on a 5" tall open top hood.

ahchung
02/09/2006, 02:12 AM
Danano, would you tell me whether your ATI parabolic reflectors are U-shaped or W-shaped?

Thanks in advance!

danano
02/20/2006, 06:02 AM
ahchung, they are all U-shaped.

PaulChiasson
03/07/2006, 07:21 PM
where do you get a majority of your corals?

danano
03/29/2006, 08:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6903857#post6903857 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PaulChiasson
where do you get a majority of your corals?
local LFS that source from all over the Pacific plus frag exchanges

danano
03/29/2006, 08:26 AM
2 years old...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/danano1/28Mar06005danano.jpg