PDA

View Full Version : eclipse 5 filter mods...?

nanoreef5
03/02/2005, 07:03 PM
hmm, i've been trying to come up with ways to make my filter work a little more efficiently on my elclipse hex 5 tank...any ideas?...would it be good to replace that cartridge with something else?...ive read about things like cheato? or somthing else maybe?...help please..

kite
03/02/2005, 08:40 PM
take out the biowheel, leave in the filter cart if you want but possibly add some cheato

nanoreef5
03/03/2005, 05:54 PM
why take out the biowheel?..i thought the bio fitration was a good thing....i figured the weak link would be in the cartridge...

davelin315
03/07/2005, 12:10 AM
The biowheel is designed only for aerobic respiration which precludes the presence of anaerobic bacteria. Essentially, it is a highly efficient method for allowing bacteria to convert ammonia into nitrates, but akin to the presence of bio-balls, it can create a "nitrate factory" affect. The LR in your tank should be dense enough to allow for anaerobic bacteria to grow as well.

I'm in the process of setting up a 15 gallon with an Eclipse 1 hood over it and am thinking of ways to improve filtration and water movement. So far I have thought of nothing yet. The only thing I have done is remove the light fixture and replace it with a 96W PC retrofit kit from Coralife. If I think of something that works on the Eclipse 1, I'll let you know. So far the only thing I have thought about doing is a miniature wave system, but I haven't yet figured out a way to do it... now if only they had miniature toilet flanges that could fit into that tiny space....