PDA

View Full Version : Sohol Tang

Tang City
01/02/2002, 11:21 AM
I love tangs, you would not believe the luck that I have with these fellas. I have a 110 gallon and have all the following tangs together, they all get along great, honestly. Red Sea Salfin, Blue Hippo Tang, Purple Tang, Naso, Orange Should Back Tang, I'm wanting to purchase a med. sohol tang. I would love to have one. Do ou think that he would be fine with my other tangs, people think that I'm crazy because all ot these get along so well, but I would love to have one more tang, the sohol tang. Can anone pleaes give me some info on them. I have done extensive reserach and found that they are reef safe, but can me aggresive against other tank mates.

Please let me know.

BrianD
01/02/2002, 11:32 AM
Where in your "extensive research" have you found any support for keeping so many tangs in a 110 gallon tank? Don't buy the sohal, and find new homes for the other tangs.

I am sure this isn't the advice you are looking for, but you did ask.

Brian

hcs3
01/02/2002, 11:35 AM
hi stacey and [welcome]

i believe adding a sohal to the combination will not work. infact, i think if you add one it will either die a quick death itself, or cause the death of several of your other tangs. sohals are intolerant of other tangs.

i have to question your stocking selection. why so many tangs? if you love them so much why do you subject them to less than optimum conditions? the questions is not "can it be done," but rather, "should it be done."

HTH

henry

Tang City
01/02/2002, 12:07 PM
I have all of these tangs together for over a year now. They all look great. NEVER once have I had an ich break out or anything. Actually I had an artice write up about how hard it is to believe that we have all these tangs getting along so well with each other. You should see how cute they even sleep together at night. It's the cuties thing you have ever seen. Acutally I have not had one fish die since going into the saltwater fihs over three years ago. Our local pet store told us they were are forutnate to have this kind of luck. Never once have we ever had any problems with any of our water qulaity. They eat three healthy meals a day. Which always includes one meal with Garlic and one other meal with zoe. They eat 2 slabs of green aglea and 1 slab of red algea a day. I will get a picture today and post it so you can see how beautiful and fat all my fish are. They are the cuties darn things. When it is time for a feeding all 6 tangs are together looking at the glass knowing it is time to chow.

I guess I must say that I am vert proud of my survial of my tangs and the wellness of my tank. Maybe not everyone is fortunate as me to have 6 healthy friendly tangs together, but I must admit that I must being doing something right.

So, my reply is why would I ruin something that is something so great! So, I will stay away from the Shohol unless I set up a new aquraium. SO, I guess anything is possible in life, just like my 6 healthty tangs.

hcs3
01/02/2002, 12:24 PM
tang city

obviously this is beyond your level of comprehension. what you've done is not something to be proud of, but rather something to be ashamed of. words cannot describe something so disgraceful. and to think you proclaim "I love tangs." if that is what love is, i want nothing to do with it.

have a nice day.

henry

BrianD
01/02/2002, 12:54 PM
Yes, Tang City, please post a picture. I don't believe the fish you have in your tank "sleep together" for any other reason (if in fact they do) then lack of adequate space. I have had most of the tangs you mentioned, and all were very protective of their "space" in the aquarium, and never would willingly share their "spot" with other fish, let alone other tangs.

Brian

Tang City
01/02/2002, 02:29 PM
Below is an address to another fellow that has all those beautiful tangs together and getting along great. So, I must not be the only one. He also has servereal other fish with them. This is unreal. He says his tank is also great and tangs get along great. Take a look below.

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1999/feb/aquarium/default.asp

BrianD
01/02/2002, 03:15 PM
The fact that he has 5 tangs in a 180 does not make your decision to keep a like number in a 110 gallon tank any more humane.

I could find many pictures of overcrowded tanks, but I am not sure what that proves. No one said that you couldn't keep those fish together. We are saying you SHOULDN'T.

What exactly were you looking for on this thread?

Brian

hcs3
01/02/2002, 03:27 PM
What exactly were you looking for on this thread?

i think she is trolling the BB's looking for a reaction to her inhumane practices. either that, or this is simply an early april fools gag. i don't believe anyone that has researched, as they say they have, would be doing this, let along bragging about it. if she truly believes she is breaking the boundaries, or as she puts it, doing "something so great," well, i digress... you can't fix stupid.

henry

stevescg
01/03/2002, 03:35 PM
Any algae growing out of control in there?:D
Fact is, when they are small, they'll get along if introduced around the same time. As they grow, they will become more territorial and you will have to find new homes for some. I also bought a few too many tangs, I was combatting hair algae and went on the advice of my lfs (derrr). The hair algae is gone and now and I know I have too many tangs, I also use a rotation of garlic and vitamin soaked nori, all are fat and happy for now, without territoriality disputes. Enjoy it while it lasts and definately do not put a sohal in there. Think about finding new homes before tempers flare (fish and members) They can become very destructive in the blink of an eye.

Tang City
01/03/2002, 04:23 PM
How many tangs and what kind do you have in your tank. We have a 180 sitting in our basement that is setting up currently setting up. Big Boy naso (about 4 inches now) and my red-sea salfin are going to be transferred in there for sure. I think my red-sea could become somewhat territoral to the others. Please fill me in on your tangs!

Thanks,

Stacy

stevescg
01/03/2002, 05:32 PM
Sorry! I wont open myself to the thrashing on this board.
My largest is a 4" purple tang, My fav. is a 3" powderblue. I bought a hippo tang that was the size of a dime, Petco called him a blue hippo damsel, $8, so I took him. He is also about 4"

hcs3
01/03/2002, 07:17 PM
steve

you've made an excellent choice on not speaking up. i'd prefer all people that cram tanks with tangs never speak up, that way noone gets the idea of that being OK.

henry

stevescg
01/03/2002, 08:27 PM
If all people that made mistakes in reefkeeping kept to themselves, this board would not exist. I expected more from a moderater.
I am aware of my overstocking situation and am doing somthing about. reefcentral has been a huge contributor to my success but this board could do without most of the *****ing that takes place!

hcs3
01/03/2002, 08:37 PM
:fun2:

Outerbank
01/03/2002, 10:59 PM
The question sounds like a hoax. I do not recomend the sohal for reasons already stated. If Stacey is indeed telling the truth, then for the others out there, this is a true exemption bound to have some losses in the future, and any new tangs would likely cause a severe stress to the fish "husbandry" that is already present.

Scott

BTW, I have 2 tangs and my tank is a 230. It has worked well, but the PBT sure is the dominant tang over my yellow.

SteveP
01/04/2002, 10:05 AM
All flaming and scolding aside, I have two comments.

1. The fish you have now will get bigger and and more agressive with time. You will definitely need that bigger tank you're preparing.

2. Sohals get quite large, over a foot ong I believe, and they require a lot of swimming room. They are also the most agressive of the species you listed. Big + aggressive = dead tankmates.

Steve
8{I

Breef
01/06/2002, 12:38 AM
I have to agree with Steve about the fact that insults accomplish very little and the most useful way to get people to listen and learn is to be a little more tachful in the handleing of our language to one another. I too have learned many useful gems of knowledge on this board and it is basically the only one that I go to,but I do know that there are several people who come to it that I am losing some of the respect that I originally had for them even though they are much more knowedgeable than myself in the hobby. I too am sure that any amount less input on my part will be missed by few! This isn't the important part,the important part is the continuation of our hobbie in a decent,mature and conserted effort.